• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: PDF import show edge artifacts on tiled PDF images (bug in PDF creation)

LEGEND ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When importing a PDF with images, Photoshop CS6 adds faint outlines to the PDF image segments in the file. Prior versions of Photoshop render the PDF correctly. See the attached image for an example.

Bug Won't fix
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 262 Replies 262
262 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files you have are not likely to render without artifacts except at high resolution. The image slicing that was applied to them just does not allow for correct rasterization except at the original resolution or higher resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. In CS5 it works fine here.
CS6 is not usable because of that. So the "improvements" are not really that good...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I have researched this, and I can find the artifacts in CS5 (and the customer complaints) and earlier versions. The defects in the files can show up in any version of Photoshop, and in other applications.

The CS6 rasterization improvements just happen to make these artifacts show up more often, along with improving the quality of the rasterization.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried again.
Placing a PDF file in Photoshop CS5 as smart object shows no artefacts/lines.
Opening this data in CS6 shows no artefacts/lines.
But placing the same PDF file in CS6 shows artefacts/lines.
So, CS5 is doing something better than CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2013 Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,
I repeat!
"Still you haven't answered the most important question regarding PDF files with flatten transparency: DO THE THIN LINES IN THE PDF FILES REALLY EXIST? NOW we take the responsibility for what you have created and you can't or you don't want to repair."

Read the other questions above and answer me, please.

And I open the file in original 300dpi and I have lines, so...?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You aren't reading my responses, I've already answered that a dozen times.
YES, the defects exist in the PDF file. Photoshop did not create those files, we cannot fix the code that created those files - we have to wait for other teams to understand and fix their bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, CS5 just shows the artifacts at different resolutions and different strengths because of the sloppy way that CS5 was handling antialiasing when rasterizing PDF.
Please read the previous comments - I've already been over this a few dozen times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,
What you have written is frightening. Do you try to tell us that PDF/X-1a:2001 standard is broken from the very beginning? I hope you are aware of the fact that you ruin the theory (industry fact) concerning the thin lines visible in Acrobat are only its rendering BUG. In my earlier response (above) I wrote that if the users were not sure whether the lines really exist they opened the PDF file in Photoshop and then the lines disappeared in most cases (99%). Today you say we were wrong and our method was wrong. I suggest that Adobe should inform the users that the PDF/X-1a:2001 standard is faulty and it cannot be trusted as well as it cannot be verified in any way. Should we understand it in this way?

How do you see further work on this BUG (llustrator, InDesign and others Quark, Corel)? Will the repair concern the standard PDF/X or transparency flattener?

I hope that all the users will get info from Adobe about what they should do with the PDF/X-1a:2001 files. I think you should consider the global campaign attempting to inform all the users about this serious BUG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AGAIN: The lines are not due to a bug in rasterization, but a bug in the way the image data is written in the PDF file. I haven't had time to read all the PDF/X specifications to see if the file lies with it, or with the way the images are tiled by applications. But the way the images are tiled will lead to artifacts when rasterizing at resolutions less than the original document resolution.
And without understanding the root causes, I don't know how the documents can be fixed. As soon as we know more, we'll let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Cris, but all your answers dont help anybody. You still repeat that the error was there also in previous versions at different solutions and so on...

But the MAIN PROBLEM STILL IS HERE. Because with other versions we could work with pdf's that be became from our clients and NOW WE CAN NOT ANYMORE. OK?

So i think is really time that you and your team start helping your PAYING customers to get back on a working system.

Or am i wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... or you tell us please a workaround that we can continue our work. Because we have to open PDF's in Photoshop and we want them without this white lines, ok?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and?
just because the problem was there a version ago, you could now let us alone and not fixing a BUG? REALLY???!?!?!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, this is not a bug in Photoshop. You are talking about a bug in the applications that created the file. Photoshop is just showing the problems that already exist in your PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the previous responses.
Yes, the problem still exists in the application that wrote the PDF file. Until that gets fixed in that other application, the PDF files will not be rasterizable at different resolutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd have to resave your PDF file without whatever options caused the program to tile the images and cause the artifacts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it would be a very better solution to change Photoshop CS6 back to the way CS5 handled PDFs. So just one app must be fixed and not dozens of other ones....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, because then the other bugs in the old PDF rasterization come back, and the overall quality of PDF rasterization goes down, rasterization would be much slower, AND it wouldn't even fix the problem - it would just make it less obvious and appear at different resolutions.

CS5 and earlier had the same problem with these files, just at different resolutions, and sometimes less strong of a line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... so why you dont tell us finally that we should shut up, not bother you anymore and live with the problem of not beeing able to open any pdf's from our customers with the "error" inside?
I know that there will be no help for us. Just say it and we stop loosing your and our time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course we want our money back then, because we can not work with the product you sell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS TIME I AM THE ONE TELLING U TO READ ALL THE POSTS:
WE CAN NOT RESAVE THE PDF's because we receive them from our clients. With the PDF's that we produce, we can do this, but with all the others we can't- ok?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But its still a BUG in a ADOBE app, or? And you are telling us over a year now, that the "OTHERS" ignore you and ignore your team and finally ingnore also US. NICE COMPANY, isn't it?
If i would do so with my customers i shurely would be out-of-work... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is working just fine. You have bad files, written by other software packages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resaving the files is the only current workaround -- the files as-is cannot be rasterized without artifacts except at high resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"except at high resolution"
Saying so you mean this behavior?
-----
When i rasterize the file with 3000dpi and reduce it than to 300dpi the lines are still there but not so strong. Maybee rasterizing the pdf at even higher resolution makes the lines dissapear in some cases.
-----

This is what i do in the moment to be able to continue working. In 70% of the cases this is working, but not for all...

Votes

Translate

Translate