• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.0: Where is Line Weight/Width and Pixels options?

Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble using the Line Tool in PS 22.0.0. 

How do I set the width/weight of the line? In PS 21 there was a "Weight" option along the top bar, but I don't see that anymore. Am I missing it? Or did it move? 

This might be a separate issue, but the lines I'm drawing are not showing up. I have a fill color and stroke color selected, but when I make a line, I don't see it. I just see a blue outline of where it is... the same that might happen if I made a "path" instead of a "shape." 

I just need to make a line with a width/weight of 20px.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

The 22.3 update posted on March 10 contains the pixel mode for the line tool; I will personally go to the mat defending this tool and it's functionality if anybody at Adobe attempts to change this feature again. I'm a believer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Greetings,

Good news, the Pixels mode is now back. For more details on adjusting line weight see Create lines and arrows using the Line tool

To update Photoshop to 22.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know your feedback!

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 676 Replies 676
676 Comments
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been using Photoshop for 15+ years. Seriously guys... you have a few more release chances to fix this... or Clip Studio Paint it is. I know a few prolific artists that have migrated to it and rave about it, not missing PS. The line tool could be the nail in the coffin. I commented on this fiasco months ago. I'm no programmer, but how hard is it to re-insert a feature that you've gutted that existed in this software since nearly its genesis?

JFC GUYS. People needed this back yesterday! PS should make our lives easier. Not a living hell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*PCP

I’m on the same boat, I’ve been using PS since the first CS, never complain about anything until this huge mess. 
I’m mad about this change but also because of the developers speech tone. Not only because the first answers were incredible tone deaf forcing worksflows at us but also because we now have to read we are being dense with a huge thread, like if it wasn’t about a tool we pay to use to work. I just can’t with this tone deaf. I’m certainly mad about how this whole situation it’s been mismanaged. And yet we are not getting any update. 

I love adobe products, but this is a mess. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jared Hudson 

To me it looks like getting it working again won't be a big problem.

So I use a script that gives me the function I need.

I also posted a rudimentary script in the scripting area of the Adobe forum and asked for support to improve the script.

Unfortunately, even the professionals there weren't able to help, because Adobe (like so many things) has neither documented nor activated for programmers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use(d) the pixel line tool a lot and feel realy amputated. As I draw and design this way over all sorts of photo's. I guess I have to start using an other app in stead of photoshop. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks Albert  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used pixel line tool also for years ! I'm trying to install back V21 hoping it will solve my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @mark_dahm, by chance do you have an update as to when we can expect the line tool to be rolled back into the product? And, can you confirm it will be the old version of the line tool and not some kind of hybrid fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*jdearing   yea, seconding this.  @mark_dahm , any updates as to when this can be back?  I'm worried our studio is going to be forced to update at some point, don't know how long I can get away with using this old version on our production.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mark_dahm 

This comment is from 2 months ago Mark. What is going on? How is it possible for Adobe to piss its customers off to this extent? Is Adobe planning financial recompense for everybody's wasted time? Why should I use an OLDER version? Can I pay an older subscription fee?

Full detailed answer is expected please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The silence is deafening...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having the same problem.  Why is the "Pixels" mode of the line tool disabled?  I use this all the time.  Sure, I can trace a shape and then pixelate the layer, but why give me this trouble?  Please Adobe, restore this ancient venerable and super useful tool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jfclemay , it'll come back. Thank you for your patience. Note that there may be minor bug release coming out in the very soon that will not include this change, but rest assured, it is hot on the schedule to be released soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*jdearing, @chris_mccann_6652317  , there will be a minor release coming out very soon that will not include this change, but a more extensive change is coming very soon thereafter that will have this working. Thank you for your patience; we'll get this right soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mark_dahm

Thanks for the update. I sincerely hope that the feature will be thoroughly tested and debugged. The version I tested had some quirks; I hope those have been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest update has not returned the option to use the line tool in pixel mode, despite the community emphatically asking for it to come back.

The need for this feature is well documented elsewhere in these forums. The majority of your users have asked this change to be overturned so our traditional drawing methods can continue without confusion and extra steps. This update is another missed opportunity to service your users, who continue to pay you while the features they desire are taken away from them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mark_dahm YES, PLEASE. THIS HAS REALLY INTERRUPTED MY WORKFLOW- i USE LINES OVER IMAGES ALL OF THE TIME- oops, sorry to shout - The pixel line is key for us. Please advise when this will be restored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, ranting at Adobe produces no sense of urgency in fixing this, so I have to work with this horrid tool. I want to overlay a pattern of lines over some text to work up into perspective "the text is on the paving slabs" effect.

Clearly vectors are far superior to pixels, I know because Adobe says so.

Old way: add the lines, thickening those closer by simply adding a new line, slightly skewed from the previous. Play with the blend mode, add some noise and it ends up looking like it grew there.

New way: you can't do that, because trying to draw a line close to the previous just picks up the previous line. Not only that, but every time you add a new line, the line properties box pops out, obscuring part of the image. Yes, I could move the box off my toolbar, but I like my workspace the way I've set it. Having to alter it just to draw some bloody lines is ridiculous.

Bottom line*: The new tool is not only an unpopular addition, it doesn't even work properly. If it's a live shape, why doesn't unchecking arrowheads from the selected line remove the damned arrowheads? Once I've found the arcane settings that make a line visible, why aren't those settings retained? Did you really mean to make invisible lines the default?

Adobe, if you insist on messing up your programs with the "enhancements" you feel we should be given, at least finish the job properly first!

P.S. Thanks and appreciation to @mark_dahm for putting yourself in the firing line by responding to our rants. It's not your fault that you're being let down by your company's inability or unwillingness to respond to its customers.

* which would be better if I could use pixels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JemShaw Just wondering: did ranting work in kindergarten either?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're not in kindergarten.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JemShaw  Correct. That was my point. Too many people get on this forum and just kvetch, accuse, blame, and rant. My point is, that those tactics are just wasting everybody's time and do not hasten a fix, just sour the atmosphere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's not get into an argument here, which also sours the atmosphere. Many people have been far more "ranty" than I, to the point of outright rudeness. Throughout it all, Mark has responded positively and professionally. Far from raise the level of ire, I wanted to express appreciation for his contribution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure it forwards the conversation to suggest that being upset at a poorly implemented update, in a professional package from a company of Adobe's standing and resources, is somehow being being childish.

If Adobe came back with an explicit description and a schedule for that fix then I'm sure it would mitigate the tone of some of the responses.

I am sure that is within the capability of a company of such standing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m with you RF23, I believe it’s necessary to know when we can expect the tool to be available again, it will absolutely calm people down.

It’s completely understandable the rant when many people is being charged monthly over a tool they use to work and it’s giving them headaches, making them spending extra cash on other tools or compromising their ability to deliver their work. Please let us be empathetic with each other. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This line and arrow bug in Adobe Photoshop 2021 has still not been fixed. I was forced to use an older saved version of Photoshop to create my double-ended arrow as the centre and weight option etc is missing. You need to fix this pronto, Adobe. I use this feature a lot and would prefer to be able to use the new version of Photoshop rather than the old one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Vikki Mount it isn't a bug.  It was a redefining of the line function.  They have listened to the extreme backlash.  They are working on a fix.  It cannot happen overnight.  He's (Mark) told us the fix is coming.  Chill pill.  Please.  EVERYONE....CHILL AND WAIT.

Votes

Translate

Translate