• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.0: Where is Line Weight/Width and Pixels options?

Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble using the Line Tool in PS 22.0.0. 

How do I set the width/weight of the line? In PS 21 there was a "Weight" option along the top bar, but I don't see that anymore. Am I missing it? Or did it move? 

This might be a separate issue, but the lines I'm drawing are not showing up. I have a fill color and stroke color selected, but when I make a line, I don't see it. I just see a blue outline of where it is... the same that might happen if I made a "path" instead of a "shape." 

I just need to make a line with a width/weight of 20px.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

The 22.3 update posted on March 10 contains the pixel mode for the line tool; I will personally go to the mat defending this tool and it's functionality if anybody at Adobe attempts to change this feature again. I'm a believer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Greetings,

Good news, the Pixels mode is now back. For more details on adjusting line weight see Create lines and arrows using the Line tool

To update Photoshop to 22.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know your feedback!

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 676 Replies 676
676 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in v22.0.1, no stroke option under edit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh. Let me look it up and get back to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am waiting for replacement PC before I will be able to go to the new release, o I cannot get to the same screen you have. However, I remember a recent dialogue on the forum which revealed that some functions were moved from being stand alone menu items to either being nested under other function menus; as I THINK I remember, that included a lot of Edit stuff. I will search for that dialogue and let you know. Also, an Adobe person such as Jeff Tranberry would know. Let's hope one of them spots this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Edit menu do you see a choice for Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but stupid Adobe won't let me just post "No" to your question, they force me to have at least 20 characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had online help chat session, he couldn't figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not had much luck with Online Chat; seems mostly robotic and repetitive scripted answers.

The link I just posted looks like some clues a few screens down.

BTW: that character limit is annoying.  I had one Adobe survey arrive in email that started out by saying to "type fifteen characters," so that is exactly what I did do, typed "Fifteen Characters" then hit submit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, that link you just posted had something that worked!!! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By selecting the linetype a diaologue window opens and there I was able to select the align option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!!! I guess that they lumped the Stroke concept into Shapes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was actually a live person, they were helpful in the past. But this time he was stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually used BOMGAR to access my laptop and mess in PS. Couldn't figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New update (21.1) new luck? Well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I'm sick of Adobe. Version 22.1 has just been released and no change. No management of the thickness of a line. Why pay so much, when we are removed from functions !!!! Really really very disappointed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's nice. But I just want to make a red line with a thickness of 3px and and a white outline of 2px. I needed two seconds before! And moreover I have macros that I use and that we exchange with my colleagues. I need the thickness adjustment like in version 21. I pay monthly, not to lose basic functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Cyrille Poussin 

https://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/using-the-shape-tools-in-photoshop-cc-2021/

That link has a pretty thorough discussion which should answer your questions. A lot of things were consolidated under Shapes in the menu, including Line.

Lineandshapetools-dea42be8-6372-4a31-872d-7f8a68ac5d90-173007184.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran out of space in Reply. Within the Line tool you get to set Preferences as to width, weight, Pixel or Vector...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used the line tool with arrowheads for years to point to problems that I encounter in software testing. I make the lines thick so the exact problem cannot be missed. Now the thickest line I can get is only 3px?? When you try to select "Other" it doesn't even work. 

Please fix this, Adobe, or bring back the old tool. The old line tool worked just fine and was very useful. I have no idea what the new tool is supposed to be doing that the old tool couldn't do, but the functionality that has been removed is essential to me. 

ScreenShot20201208at12.50.23PM-ce1a3c06-74e0-407a-8757-30ee3afcbbb1-1145101661.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mark_dahm Progress? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DGrainger Where is the simple thickness management? I want something "simple" as in version 21. I want to be able to make a line in two points with a management of the thickness. I want to be able to create macros that we exchange between colleagues and which do not necessarily have the same version as me. I want my subscription to be there to improve Photoshop and not make it unusable.

Capturedecran20201125a10.17.55-01e847d9-7a28-4a05-bef1-229f4f44aed9-440975405.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so dead-on. I've been using Photoshop for a couple of decades myself. I use the line tool with arrowheads literally everyday. Every time the menus change I think, "OK, Adobe has changed this; I just need to figure out where the settings have moved to." In this case, I finally got so frustrated that I searched for "photoshop 2021 won't let me create a line thicker than 3px" and ended up here. 

I get the idea that Adobe is trying to make the tool more consistent with other software, but the new tool isn't as good as the old one for what I do. The arrowheads don't scale if I increase the weight of the stroke. 

I echo *jdearing's comment. I'd love an opportunity to provide feedback to Adobe on how changes impact long-time users. I've been a loyal customer for since 1997, but I certainly don't feel "listened to."

Votes

Translate

Translate