• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 23.2.2 Can't open/update vector smart object in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just today, I updated to macOS Monterey and now I am having problems opening vector smart objects in Photoshop files. If Illustrator is closed, when I double click the smart object (or choose edit contents) Illustrator will launch but the file will not open. 

If Illustrator is open and I try to open the smart object, I get a Mac error window that says "The application "Adobe Illustrator 2022" can't be opened" with a -1703 error code. 

I'm using Photoshop 23.2.1 and Illustrator 26.0.3, which I went back to after seeing the problem first occur in 26.1. 

The computer is iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch 2019  |  3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9  |  macOS Monterey 12.3

Thanks in advance

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

This should be resolved in macOS 12.3.1 that just went out.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 234 Replies 234
234 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having exactly the same problem. Have removed CC completely several times, installed previous versions of photoshop and illustrator, but still not working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same proplem here. Please fix ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to reach out to the developers and get notified about the progress, please post to  http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The application “Adobe Illustrator 2022” can’t be opened. -1703

I cant edit illustrator smart objects.

When I click on them in photoshop to edit them I get this code. Its only happened since the new update. Anyone know how I can open these in illustrator to edit them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found another workaround. Right click on the smart object layer then "Export Contents...". It will save a file with the .ai artwork. I'm working with this until adobe find a way to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I usually work with both Photoshop and Illustrator, using embedded vector files inside photoshop and vice-versa.

Since yesterday, I can't open any Vector Smart Objects inside my .psds

I tried reinstalling both illustrator and photoshop, reseting preferences and even installing previous versions of both apps - all unsuccessful attempts.

This is the pop up that appears when I double click the vector smart objects inside photoshop:

Captura de Tela 2022-03-18 às 15.45.19.png

It says "The app Adobe Illustrator 2022.app can't be opened - 1703"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help please !!
When i open smart object with "Ps" it doesn’t open and show this massage 

The application “Adobe Illustrator 2022” can’t be opened. -1703

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the same issue as reported here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-photoshop-23-2-2-can-t-open-update-vector-... 

Per that post - Adobe is aware as of 3/16 and is working on a solution.

There is also a suggested workaround to resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the same issue as this post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-photoshop-23-2-2-can-t-open-update-vector-... 

As of 3/16 Adobe is aware and working on a solution. There is a suggested work around in the post to recover your AI file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the same issue as this post:

As of 3/16 Adobe is aware and working on a solution. There is a suggested work around in the post to recover your AI file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add your vote: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/44929336-smart-...

There are other threads on the forum about the issue that might provide a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any update on this? Been several days now of not being able to have full functionality. And for all the placing Linked Files is a short-term workaround, long term this is incredibly painful. How has this still not been addressed??!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this method DID work for recovering the underlying illustrator vector smart object, which is good. however i just tested, copied and pasted from illustrator the new file created as you described, placed in photoshop as a Vector smart object - but you can not open it up and edit it, which is bad. same error message. this is a big bummer for me, as many of my files use vector smart objects in my day to day workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to open a vector dynamique object from photoshop there is a error that tells me Illustrator was not able to open -1703.

I don't know what to do, I use those in my day to day job.

Sorry for my English I normaly speack french

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Found a workaround which was to open the Vector Smart Object.ai file that was showing up in my recent files on the illustrator home screen. With the Photoshop files open, any edits I made in the illustrator file were carrying across to PS. So it seems that the link was still active between PS and the smart object temporary file. Hope this works for you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Wish I never updated to 12.3. So frustrating! Hopefully Adobe comes up with a fix soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any good news yet? this is ridiculous. We might do the reinstall OS 12.2 via bootable installer but would rather not as that is a pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's always a good idea to use Linked SOs instead of Embedded when placing images from other Adobe apps. Unfortunately, Adobe hasn't spent much effort to help the communities understand the significance of the difference between the two types. And even using Linked SOs is a mostly hidden feature across the suite. Such a shame, as a Linked SO workflow can be one of the most powerful tools in your kit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works. Thanks mate! I have just discovered some other trick too:

Check the option „Add to my current library” while the vector artwork is pasted (as a 'smart object'). No problem to open/edit it via the Library panel then.

Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 23.04.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Earth Oliver  I agree, it is sometimes a good idea to use links, but not “always”. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve received layered PSD’s that are missing much-needed linked files. Emebedded smart objects keep it all together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the latest either Monterey 12.3 update or the latest Photoshop update, I am having massive slowdowns and beach balls while trying to use the transform tools in Photoshop. No problems at all until the other day. I'm not sure which of the updates triggered it and will try to troubleshoot more, but wanted to put this out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue on MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1.
Photoshop v. 23.2.2

Illustrator v 26.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up ! 
same problem here, no doc or info found, maybe a bug from the latest i'll try older versions of photosop & illustrator 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate