• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop can't open, freezes on splash image, uses all of ram trying to open then crashes.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2024 Aug 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have googled every possible variation of this problem and tried every fix for this problem, none of them worked. I have tried reinstalling photoshop, deleting everything even remotely related to photohop in the appdata, deleting custom fonts, restarting the computer, updating graphics and computer, and holding every possible combination of alt, ctrl and shift while trying to launch in administrator mode. The result is always the same. It opens the splash image, gets to loading preferences or brushes, spikes RAM usage to every last byte of RAM I have, freezes the computer, then crashes.

And no i'm not running it on a potato i'm running it on an Alienware Aurora 4090, it should have more than enough power to handle this and Photoshop ran perfectly fine for months. Then just today it crashed and has never started up again.

Photoshop version 25.11

Help.

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

UPDATE

We identified a problem with a recent Adobe update that caused Photoshop and several other Adobe beta apps to fail to launch. We’ve released an updated installer to fix this problem. Please download and install the latest Creative Cloud beta applications. This update should resolve the launch issue.

Thanks,

Cory - Photoshop Product Manager

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Hey, I solved the problem!!! Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner tool to remove all the BETA applications... ALL of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 813 Replies 813
813 Comments
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2024 Aug 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you uninstall ALL Beta Versions? That's what I did, then it worked again for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe photoshop and photpshop beta will not start, they will get to loading preferences then freeze. Could you help please

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suddenly today Photoshop decided not to open after my Mac updated itself at night.

I tried installing an older version of Photoshop and also downloading the Beta app. No luck.
I tried skipping plugins by holding "Shift" while opening PS. 

I tried reseting preferences file by holding "Shift" + "CMD" + "Option" while opening PS.

No luck.

Any ideas?

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 09.30.35.pngScreenshot 2024-08-09 at 09.31.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, just got it fixed.
I UNINSTALLED the BETA app of Media Encoder and now it opened without any problem.

I didn't uninstall all the beta apps, I still had After Effects Beta when I opened Photoshop and it worked.

So I assume Media Encoder was the problem.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've lost a full day of work trying to figure out why Photoshop was failing to launch.  Many of you have probably experienced the same issue, as the splash window freezes during the "Halide Bottlenecks" plugin.  I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling Photoshop, restarting my computer, and both failed.  This is how I resolved the problem on my Mac:

Finder> Application> Adobe Creative Cloud

Launch Adobe Creative Cloud application

Once launched, go to "Apps" section on the far left column (circled in red.)

Within "App" section, go to "Beta" option (Beaker icon) at top panel of the app (circled in green)

Pay attention to any Beta apps that you have installed.  In my case, I had Premiere Pro and Media Encoder Beta (circled in yellow.)  Click on the three dot drop down menu and uninstall any Beta you have.  Once that is done, all of your apps should work. I hope this may help troubleshoot the issue for many of you.

According to tech support, this is what they told me:

"There is an ongoing issue with Beta apps impacting users worldwide.  Our engineering team is working upon it, and very soon the updates will be released for the beta apps.  Till that time, we request you to use official version of Adobe apps."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked thank you very much

Sent from Outlook for iOS<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that it working again now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did it and it works ,thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much ,that sorted it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact problem, wont let me open in Beta or normal PS app. Reinstalled, rebooted but nothing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Cory I have tried everything, but I uninstalled those programs and it worked. Thank you again when can I reinstall those programs again. Kind regards Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, Welcome to the Photoshop Community. I'll need more details to help you figure this out.

Which version of Photoshop and macOS are you running on your computer? How much scratch disk space is available?

Please share the system info of Lightroom & Photoshop from Help > System info > Copy & paste into a text document > Upload as an attachment here.

Please check this page on Photoshop Performance and optimize the app preferences to free up some memory:

https://adobe.ly/3yBkWHZ

You can try freeing up RAM in Photoshop by closing all other images and invoking Edit > Purge > All.

Thanks,

Shivani 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Shivani Somayajula the link you posted doesn't seem to work

2024-08-09 11_33_16-Server Not Found — Mozilla Firefox.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

remove all Betas AR BR PS ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 1.53.45 PM.png

Whenever i try to open illustrator or photoshop or beta. the application is showing not respponding, in addition to that it is consuming memory leak . how can i resolve this issue.

Note : photoshop when i switch back to 2021 version its working however beta and illustrator is not woking at all .kindly some one assist me.

MAcbook M1 pro
ram 16 gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS Sonoma 14.6.1

Photoshop: 25.11

My Photoshop crashed while starting up.

It uses over +40GB of RAM during startup and then indicates that it has crashed and I need to force close it.

I have tried:

- Restarting my Mac

- Updating my Mac
- Starting Photoshop while holding Shift key - (Starting without 3rd party plugins)
- Removed all plugins
- Starting Photoshop while holding: Shift - Option - Command (starting while deleting the settings)
- Deleting and reinstalling the Adobe Photoshop folder (with scripts etc.)

Still no success.

Hopefully someone can assist me with this issue! Everything was working fine yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got the same issue! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no reply??? What gives. I'm experiencing the same exact problem and have tried everything you have.
We have work to do and are dead in the water.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Mac Sonoma and have been having the same problem with Photoshop since yesterday. I also took the same steps listed to try to solve the problem with no luck. I have also been unable to open Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked, thanks! Pitty I've deleted all my settings..

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same issue has happened to me. The icon bounces up and down, but when I check my finder it says the application is not responding. I deleted the preferences and even uninstalled the app and redownloaded it. Still no luck. Have you found a solution??

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the last 3 days, my Photoshop did not open 

it keeps loading forever, I tried to uninstall the program and reinstall it again, and this did not work 

is there a solution for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyone else having trouble opening photoshop after latest update running on Windows 11. 2 days now & still now joy after updating drivers & deleting plugins the program just hangs when 'reading preferences' The beta program does the same aswell.

Any thoughts Adobe? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had the same issues and contacted Adobe via the chat line,the problem is a bug in all Beta apps which is causing the photoshop issues, the Adobe technician was granted access to my PC & had to use a  Adobe creative cloud cleaner tool!

He cleared the issues and un-installed all Beta apps and told me NOT to re-install any Beta apps until the bug issue is cleared, which they are working on now! Hope this helps...

Votes

Translate

Translate