• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop creates a gude log while working with files

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beim Arbeiten mit der aktuellen Photoshop-Version hängt sich Photoshop nach kürzester Zeit auf, d.h. die Bedienoberfläche und Menüs verschwinden und ein speichern ist nicht möglich. Folgende Fehlermeldung schreibt er in die log-Datei (gude-2022-04-14.log):

[WARN] WGudeRequest::applyAutoDetectProxyAutoConfigSettings Failed to autodetect proxy settings. WinHTTP Unable To Download Script. last error code = 12167

Hat jemand ein ähnliches Problem und kann mir helfen? Vielen Dank.

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Thank you everyone for your patience. This issue has been fixed with the release of 24.2.

Thank you,

Cory

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 500 Replies 500
500 Comments
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.
I think the easiest way is to always remember to open Photoshop, before you open any files,- that seems to solve it for me, atleast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaaagh! Thought it had stopped - but another one's just popped up.

PhotoShop 24.1.0

Bridge 13.0.1.583

Going to turn PhotoShop GPU off and see if that's the culprit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This disables a lot of GPU functionality. I'd rather have the annoying GUDE files littering my hard drive but either option is something I hope can be fixed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, @Beachcolonist ...  It's your turn. Please tell them again that nothing needs to be fixed cause you already solved it. 🫣

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So - is this right...?
Happens when your images are set to open in Photoshop - but you haven't opened Photoshop yet - and open an image from Explorer.
Photoshop is then auto-opened - but also generates the file, which is saved in the folder the image was in.

Personally, I could do without it, and consider it a bug I hope Adobe are working on fixing.
Your opinion may vary.

Can't find the workarounds mentioned elsewhere. Will just keep Photoshop open as I guess that'll fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to reproduce this bug on Windows 10 Pro or MacOS Ventura. Whether Photoshop is already running or not, opening a file from Bridge, Lightroom Classic, or Finder/Explorer, I don't get the log file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lumigraphics, try this using Windows. With Photoshop closed, download any image file with your browser and save it to the desktop. Double-click the file to open, which will also launch Photoshop. Go back to the desktop to see if a gude file was created. Here is a sample file from SFTW to test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did before posting, on Windows 10 Pro. Opened a JPEG file from Explorer with Photoshop 2023 not running. No file was created. I'm on a business LAN via Ethernet, not wi-fi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lumigraphics, okay, for me the gude files are created with my method and I can't delete them until I close Photoshop. I'm using Brave browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. I'm on an older computer where the GPU is unsupported, could that be a factor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lumigraphics, yes strange. Can you try it with Chrome or Firefox if you have those installed to see if that makes a difference? FYI, the same thing happens no matter if I use Edge or Chrome or Brave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As this is happening to me as well, I am adding my observations in order to possibly help with identifying the cause of the problem. I have already made sure that "Automatically Detect Settings" is unchecked in the LAN Settings of the Internet Options Control Panel. When I launch Photoshop directly and then open a file from Photoshop, no GUDE file is created. If Photoshop is not currently running and I double click a Photoshop file, launching Photoshop, the GUDE file is created and located on the desktop, regardless of where the original file's location was. This is just my experience and observations. I have only had this problem with Photoshop, not my other Adobe applications and only since my latest update on December 15th. Hope this helps... a fix would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.
Yes it's possible, someone mentioned that denying the gude-file to be created would stop the GPU from working as it should.
Another factor could also be that you're on a network LAN, they usually have other adjustments than private ones, and turning something  off in the LAN-adjustments was one method that several used to get rid of the creation of that file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the annoying log is generated only when I open a PSD file with Photoshop closed. I don't use Photoshop to open images as default. Every single day a new log is created even opening the same PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue running on Windows 10 and Photoshop 24.1.0 too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just use "right-click/open with." Or use Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the easiest thing in the world to prevent, see my post on the subject.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/solved-unwanted-quot-gude-log-quot-file-crea...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16:36:16:745 [ALWAYS]	GUDE Logging Started

Always this file is created on a file path and creates issue while compressing the folder  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive just developed this issue as well, the windows "open with" dialoge to define default application did pop up recently which might have been the start of it. As others have stated only occours when opening file by double clicking on a file in windows explorer.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 24.1.0 20221206.r.166 be4691b x64
Number of Launches: 192
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Version: 10 10.0.19045.2251

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just noticed the same issue this week.
Windows 10 (fully updated) Photoshop 24.1.0 Release.
It's not only with PSD files, happens with Tifs too. When you open a file without Photoshop being open.
I am sure this wasn't happening up until this week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem just started with the latest update for me to 24.1.0, it wasn't doing it before although others say it was in 23.4. Apparently, it's a minor bug with their sqllite implementation that they don't want to waste time on; even though it is extremely annoying. It's not really a bug but more a developer process dump that they just didn't turn off. Currently the only solution is to make sure photoshop is open so the file in your system folder is the one it uses; otherwise it creates the log in the current file folder. Double clicking, file>open with, or anything else that opens photoshop before the file seems to cause this issue. A lot from amateur to pro don't usually keep photoshop open all the time so it's a user memory thing until they fix it. This is nothing new with Adobe (even though i love working with adobe products); back in the day you never upgraded a product like photoshop until at least the second update to that version (N.0.2) unless it had a feature you really wanted to try out; like layers...I remember how exciting it was to actually have layers now in photoshop :).

The 'solution' to use another program to interface with photoshop isn't a solution. Example, using Bridge still creates this file but puts it in a directory you don't normally see. Bridge is not a good program at all and is not best practice for opening files, users should learn and adopt a real file organization system on their computer. Receiving images from a multitude of sources and having to keep track of exporting or saving files back to the origional file's directory or drive (expecially ones that use the older file save dialog) makes Bridge more of a pain then it's worth and extra time that can be used to edit the next image instead. Again, not much of a solution over remembering to open photoshop first anyhoo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that I pointed this out when I first described the problem.  It looks like some debugging code that wasn't commented out in the final build.  All of these "solutions" proposed by others are only workarounds and not actually solving the problem.  There are standards to the GUI that must be upheld by any application working within the Windows environment so there is some consistency in actions.  Double-clicking on a file to open it in with default application for that file type is a standard that has been held over many iterations of the Windows environment.  Making users to adopt a different workflow for one application is wasteful of their time.  The proposed "solution" would have users opening PhotoShop first and then using the File menu in PS to navigate to the directory where the file is located.  To call this a "solution" flies in the face of how the Windows GUI operates.  Sorry if this offends, but I fail to see how this is something users have to do to compensate for a mistake in the coding of a commerical (paid) application.  I can see this being a porblem with some open source software that is being developed through a volunteer effort, but not in an application that people are paying to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Right-click open/with Photoshop" when Photoshop is closed DOES NOT create the file.

Bridge is a superb program, as is understood by professional photo editors like myself. I agree it's a bit complex, but so is Photoshop. Bridge is irreplaceablely useful for working with images.

PS your note is way longer than needed to convey your simple points about use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

astroguy67 - You restated the work around incorrectly.

Nowhere is it suggested that: "... users opening PhotoShop first and then using the File menu in PS to navigate to the directory where the file is located ...."

The actual work arounds are as simple as your original method and cause no extra work.
1. Open Photoshop then click or drag the file to it.
2. Right-click/open with Photoshop, even if Photoshop is closed this generates no gude*.log.
3. Use Bridge.

P.S. if "extra work" is a concern then stop using double-click and reset to single click.

Votes

Translate

Translate