Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop opens window too small when using external monitor

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version; 22.5.1

Reproduce: Have a non-retina external monitor connected to a Retina Macbook as the main screen. Open a file. It will open at 100% but with the window sized smaller than the image.

Expected: Files used to open with the entire image visible within the window, so you don't have to resize the window, nor click the green mazimize button.

Seems this issue was introduced after version 22.4.3; See these two discussions for further explanation / confirmation of the problem:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-2021-documents-opening-in-s...

and

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/why-is-the-window-too-small-when-i-op...

{Moderator note: Edited the thread title}

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the April 2022 release of Photoshop 23.3. This update includes the fix for this issue.

To update Photoshop to 23.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Hi PECourtejoie -- sadly, it continued to happen when I set the application frame. I was thinking I was overlooking a Preferences setting, or didn't have the righ menu item checked/unchecked. But your suggestion of using the Script Events Manager was spot on. At first I was confused by the instructions on that page and thought I'd have to write JavaScript (I don't know how to write JavaScript), but then I saw the screenshots here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/fit-on-screen-automatically-in-photoshop/m-p/10576298 

Votes

Translate

Translate
68 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is new behavior since I upgraded to PS 2021 (22.5.0). Whenever I open a file, the window shows only 50% of the image, with scroll bars. I have plenty of monitor space to show the whole image. I can double click the title bar to maximize, but previously the whole image would show. Large images would show the whole image at a lower zoom.

Now all images open in a smaller window with scrollbars, always showing about 50% of the image. Anyone else having this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening with all images? Wondering if it has to do with the size of the image and the # of pixels on your screen. I'm not able to repro off hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop on mac OS Catalina. After the last update (v 22.5, installed 8 days ago), every time I open a file in Photoshop, the window view is too small for the image, as shown in the screenshot. The windows open in random sizes at various zoom levels. How can this be fixed so that files open normally? Really hoping it's a simple thing that I'm overlooking. I often work in Photoshop all day and have to open many, many files. It gets very frustrating having to resize every window or click on the stupid green dot to see the whole image every time I open a file. Thank you for reading my rant and for any suggestions anyone may have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, does it also happen if you enable the application frame and restart?

As a workaround, you could try to setup an action with a "enter menu item" for "fit to screen" and launch it automatically for "new documents" or "open documents" using the script events manager: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/scripting.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PECourtejoie -- sadly, it continued to happen when I set the application frame. I was thinking I was overlooking a Preferences setting, or didn't have the righ menu item checked/unchecked. But your suggestion of using the Script Events Manager was spot on. At first I was confused by the instructions on that page and thought I'd have to write JavaScript (I don't know how to write JavaScript), but then I saw the screenshots here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/fit-on-screen-automatically-in-photoshop/m-p/1057...  I made one adjustment -- when I recorded the action, I inserted the Zoom Out menu item instead of Fit on Screen to get a good window size. Thank you so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, it looks like you have better search mojo than I did... very good work, I hope that you learned stuff along the way.

Yes, I wish the helpx page had an anchor to start at the SEM level directly.

I hope that you are all set!

Ciao, happy photoshop use!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I most certainly did learn stuff! Funny, I've used Photoshop since Adobe released it and never went into the SEM before. Hoping I won't have to use it for something weird like this again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try resetting the photoshop preferences by going to Photoshop>Preferences>General, clicking on Reset Preferences On Quit, then restarting photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be a problem opening documents in Photoshop 22.5. All documents open zoomed in to the top left corner of the image and it takes several Command+ tries to get the image to be viewed accurately. This apparently happens while using a monitor but not on the desktop. After calling Adobe, 4 technical support people could see the problem and they tried rebuilding preferences, changing read/write in several places and using the Adobe Cleanup Tool and reinstalling a new version. Nothing helped.

I am attaching photos of what I am seeing when I open an image and after one Command+

macOs Big Sur 11.5.2

Photoshop 22.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to switch to Application Frame mode,  Window> Application Frame and disable resize window to fit to see what will happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Omar.Fathy. I tried it but there is no change. Still zooms into the top left upon opening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue after the last update. I have reset my preferences, restarted, etc and the issue still persists. I can set up a script for this, but this is definitelty a new bug in the most recent update. Is there any way to actually fix this issue, or can we expect a bug patch in the next update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue after the most recent update. It happens with every single document I open (even embedded Smart Objects).

@J453  I think I have identified the bug.

Photoshop opens the document at the corret zoom level, but the window always appears at the size it should be on a retina display. This means when I open docuements on my Macbook Pro retina display (OS 11.4), the window is the correct size. When I open documents on my older external display, the zoom level is correct, but the window size is half the size it should be.

So for example a small image will open at 100%, but the window is the size it would be if zoomed out to 50%. A larger image opens at (for example) 33%, but the window opens in the size it would be at a 16.6% zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a screen shot of the whole photoshop interface and give the specs of your mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff Arola @PECourtejoie After troubleshooting this issue a bit more, I believe I've identified the issue that is happening here.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-2021-documents-opening-in-s...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My setup is similar to yours — I have a 2017 Macbook Pro with retina display with an ASUS ProArt external display attached (the ASUS display is new but non-retina). I tried opening some Photoshop files on my Macbook Pro display instead, and sure enough, the windows opened at the correct size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J453 Another user with the same issue just tested and confirmed this theory. Hopefully this can help identify and patch the bug!

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/why-is-the-window-too-small-when-i-op...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this looks like a bug in 22.5

I re-installed 22.4.3 and it works, so Adobe please fix this. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Everytime I create a new psd or open other psds, the window is always 50% smaller than canvas.
Yes, I can press CMD+1 but after 20+ documents I get tired and frustrated.

Is there anything I do to change it or is it a bug?

Bonus info: I've just updated my photoshop and now have Ps 2021 version 22.5.0 and then is happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop opens images in predefined magnifications: 100%, 66%, 50%, etc. If you want it to 'fit' the image to the canvas, then create an action that does this and then add that action to the Script Events. 
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/fit-on-screen-automatically-in-photos...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your screenshot shows the image zoomed into 100%. What's the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, when I have Photoshop on my laptop's external monitor the image window is smaller and does not show the entire view of the image. When I use Photoshop on my MacBook Pro 2018 with Retina dispaly, then it opens the file as expected, zoom size is correct and window size fits the zoom. Very frustrating and I wasted much time resetting prefs, uninstalling, reinstalling, reloading actions, workspaces, scripts, etc. And nothing worked to correct the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Earth Oliver It is 100% but the problem is that there is two scrollbars which indicates the window is smaller than the canvas. And the canvas is only 300x300px. My photoshop has never done that untill I made an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohanElzenga Thank you. I'll give that a try

Votes

Translate

Translate