• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Preferences to turn off auto-commit and double click to edit text

Engaged ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's cool that you guys added the addition to auto commit and double click to edit text but please add into tool preferences the ability to turn this off. I just downloaded photoshop 2019 and I keep accidentally editing text instead of moving it and then when I'm rotating or scaling objects it will auto commit for me when I didn't want it to.

Also can you please put other things in preferences to like scaling using the shift key and other things that were changed for usability? People that have been using the program for a really long time are used to it working one way and then just changing it to the opposite is really tough to get used to. Would be very nice to have the option to turn these things on or off depending on if I want them to work a certain way.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019
You can use PSUserConfig.txt to disable "Click to Commit" - Instructions here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/enable-optional-extensions-photoshop-cc.html#disable_click_to_commit

Votes

Translate

Translate
62 Comments
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole thing is soo broken. Now how am I going to scale something on one axis, while not getting snapped? Usually I could press CTRL - and SHIFT but now that doesn't work anymore, as it unlocks the other axis also.

The user experience is worse too now, since I can't just transform anymore quicly - I have to triple check for every fricking click, so that I'm not accidentally applying the transformation, because only certain areas let me transform (and that doesn't get reverted with the TXT setting).

Please, don't just fix it: Remove this change and fire the employee who came up with it and whoever approved this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Returning to the 2018 version is the only solution I have found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys . . .

7brbdYW-8cfc631b-0700-482d-8e7b-97ef5fad6d27-1835311646.png

Source: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html#user-experience-improvements

Find under the "Usability improvements" heading. LOL

VIbczwe-87991320-6bac-4801-aa83-fb62b2cb30ea-1569005305.jpgVIbczwe-87991320-6bac-4801-aa83-fb62b2cb30ea-1569005305.jpgVIbczwe-87991320-6bac-4801-aa83-fb62b2cb30ea-1569005305.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no fix for this in 20.0.2. It's a terrible UX decision and it generates real bad feelings about Adobe in general

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried the updated PS 2019. Is the constrain link fixed on the tool bar RF ?

I can't bring myself to open 2019.
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean shift to constrain?
Nope. I'd hoped that they had seen sense. But apparently not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The constrain button in the tool options bar.  It's being ignored when unchecked in the new default constrained mode.  It doesn't matter whether you check the chain link or un-check the chain link nothing happens. It hasn't been fixed. I just updated and checked.
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm, this is screwing me up. I hold shift to click and move multiple text layers and sometimes it just does nothing. I reinstalled CC 2018. Let me turn this feature off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have adapted my habits or gotten used to every other UI change in Photoshop over the last 21 years. I have been trying for months now to accept auto-commit/commit click.

I. Can't. Handle. It.

I'll be zooming in real close to modify the bounding box of a crop or a transform, tweaking it little by little on a very large image and trying to get it just right when BAM. I accidentally click outside of an invisible boundary and commit. It's infuriating and tedious to have my progress thrown away and have to start over every time I do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys (as in photoshop devs) we are into you trying to think of ways to make the product better. But you HAVE to respect the people that have been using your product for decades and not change things in ways without given options to turn them on/off. I have years of muscle memory built up and it basically migraine inducing having to re-think about some of these daily tasks. 
Double click is one of these. Great in theory but def slows me down when trying to move a text layer. Would be GREAT (dare I say vital?) to be able to turn this off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very annoying. And this is supposed to be a usability improvement?!?!

Can't even drag in guides while transforming (have to use ⌘-drag from Rulers now).

Adobe, please stop messing around and stop adding so called imoprovements like this without the option to turn it off.

How am I supposed to correct a transform when I click accidentally click outside the transform area? Redo it from start? Make every layer Smart Object first? Come on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is considered a usability improvement? More efficient? Really? In
what universe?

This makes the process of transforming objects extremely
frustrating. Clicking anywhere outside the transform area commits the transform, even dragging in guides.

How about having an option in preferences or in Tool preferences to turn off Auto-commit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can any of the coding geniuses behind the terminal command for killing the shift key requirement for transform (and others) find one to kill the rotate commit click blunder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember guys, whether or not you uninstall 2019 and use a more functional version, just be sure to keep paying that monthly fee! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These new feature is annoying advanced Photoshop users since it hinders our workflow because it's too easy to activate it accidentally when moving things around, specially if you work with a graphic tablet.
Please include a way to disable it in the next update. =(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no option in preferences, but at least now you can turn off auto-commit the same way they addressed the changes to free transform, with a PSUserConfig.txt file

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/enable-optional-extensions-photoshop-cc.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no option in preferences, but at least now you can turn off auto-commit the same way they addressed the changes to free transform, with a PSUserConfig.txt file

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/enable-optional-extensions-photoshop-cc.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I held back from using the 2019 version until recently, when I found out I could at least revert to legacy transform creating the “PSUserConfig.txt” file BUT (!!!) that weird auto-commit function is really a pain for long-time PS users messing with their muscle memory! 

I constantly commit my transformation without having even transformed anything, because I'm trying to rotate from far away the element like I'm used to for years and years.

Please at least incorporate an option to disable in the prefs to not unnecessarily irritate old users.....   it totally interrupts the workflow.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They (more or less secretly) added the ability to cancel auto-commit via PSUserConfig a week or so ago.  If there was an announcement, I didn't see it. I found out about it here, by accident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feels like typical passive-aggressive behavior and the dismissive attitude Adobe seems to have for its long-time, dedicated (or captive) and apparently not-vocal-enough users. Frankly, I'm sick of it. We are not worthy of checkbox preferences, and are so undervalued, they won't even send out a notification of a begrudged afterthought  hack fix of a callous change in user preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe. I thought it was possible that developers were making a back-door solution to solve poor upper management decisions. But that’s just conjecture

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I got a little heated in my venting, but it does deserve a radio check box, acknowledgement and notification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree100%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They still have not fixed this? Omg. Agree 100%!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is - the solution:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/enable-optional-extensions-photoshop-cc.html#disable_click_to_c...

^  This page was recently updated apparently.

Add a new line to your PSUserConfig.txt -

OnCanvasClickToCommit 0

Votes

Translate

Translate