• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Preferences to turn off auto-commit and double click to edit text

Engaged ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's cool that you guys added the addition to auto commit and double click to edit text but please add into tool preferences the ability to turn this off. I just downloaded photoshop 2019 and I keep accidentally editing text instead of moving it and then when I'm rotating or scaling objects it will auto commit for me when I didn't want it to.

Also can you please put other things in preferences to like scaling using the shift key and other things that were changed for usability? People that have been using the program for a really long time are used to it working one way and then just changing it to the opposite is really tough to get used to. Would be very nice to have the option to turn these things on or off depending on if I want them to work a certain way.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019
You can use PSUserConfig.txt to disable "Click to Commit" - Instructions here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/enable-optional-extensions-photoshop-cc.html#disable_click_to_commit

Votes

Translate

Translate
62 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heck, shift key scaling is the standard since GUIs came along. I remember using it for MacPaint back in the 1980s. It's muscle memory and should be an option. 

PLUS when you are trying to stretch an image such as a shadow and forget to use the shift keys while doing it, the image doesn't stretch in one direction. So enraging!

It's kind of like unilaterally deciding that the shortcuts for Cut and Paste are too old school to be cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur. I don't mind adding more options for things but please allow us to turn the new options on or off in the preferences.

As someone who heavily uses right-click to select layers, this is VERY problematic when you select text layers to move them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Adding features is one thing. Editing the functionality of the tool(s) is another. Especially when it compromises a users work flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed - and you know what? Old habits are hard to break, especially when you've been a PS user for so long! It's like it's not cool to be old school! Disappointing really.
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please Adobe, allow us to turn off the new "Commit Click" feature when transforming. It is extremely annoying when rotating and transforming. it was also mentioned in some articles and publications online: Quote: "While this makes sense for text, it can be disconcerting when you’re rotating a layer, as you can now do so only when the cursor is close to a corner..."

please consider this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! I am already SO annoyed that almost every time I go to move some text it wants to edit it. Maybe I'm click happy, but I've never had this issue before and I absolutely hate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. It's hard when you've been using PS for years to break a habit like this. I really think Adobe should be mindful and respectful of their long term customers. 

I don't know Adobe. . . but something is not working. Do you not have beta testers before releasing a new version? 

Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RoSa I'm still trying to retrain my brain not to hit option+shift when wanting to resize proportionally. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bennett totally understand. I tried to work with the tool also and wanting to adapt to change, but I was getting weird responses when using distort. . so went and sussed out the constrain link on the toolbar and it doesn't work. Nil response. So over these new releases. I'd rather see a new release of Adobe products less frequently and only after they've been through rigorous testing.
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I accidentally keep editing my text layers. 

I have auto select group/layer turned off. I use CMD + click to select a text layer. When I select the layer and try to move it, I keep accidentally opening the edit mode. This happens because CMD + click combined by the click + hold to move, is registered as a double click. 

The solution to click slower, or turn on auto select isn't working for me. 

Double click to edit seems like a nice feature, but its a real pain when you're not using auto select.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like we are ants some kids play with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. My workflow is seriously impeded by these new features.

Don't get me wrong, they're nice for beginners or casual users who are used to WYSIWYG, I suppose - however not for those of use who have been working with Photoshop for over 15 years and are used to working at a crazy speed to save the day in the editorial.

I'm glad I was able to restore the suddenly vanished anchor point of my bounding box selections in the preferences and found a way to get rid of the new fixed ratio resize feature by googling for help (and overriding the program settings via additional .txt file).

Perhaps these new features would be better implemented in this new skim version of Photoshop instead - Photoshop Express - or at least consider making them optional. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click me-too to make them think seriously before another such changes while making this one easier to quickly toggle, by just one click when someone doesn't like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - Please add the ability to disable the auto-commit function (as well as all the new functions). I've been using this program for over a decade and my workflow became substantially impeded with these small changes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auto-commit for transform is REALLY annoying. And you can't undo it, so if you accidentally click the wrong place, you have to start over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely wish we could choose to turn this off.
It's so frustrating when they force changes that just annoy their users, and don't even make it optional, but mandatory.
As well as sending out e-mails asking what we feel needs improving / changing and then ignoring us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is rather ridiculous actually. Now every time i make any small change i have to exit out of the text editing window because i don't keep on auto select. i command + click an object. They have the ability to revert back to hold shift and scale but this is more annoying to me and no solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This change has me seriously ready to bang my head against the keyboard... I work on projects with a lot of text layers and I am constantly having to "move very slowly" or escape after trying to move text or (the best) when I go to move text, it goes into edit mode instead... Seriously, whoever thought this was a good idea, really needs to move to another part of the development team. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for please making this an option to turn on and off. Even if not in preferences, at least through some text file hack like there is to revert to shift constrains proportions. (put a .txt file named PSUserConfig.txt that says "TransformProportionalScale 0" for those who haven't found it). If there was something like that to turn off various new weird tweaks so that these programs worked for, not against, us it would be a lifesaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We shouldn't have to use text file hacks or codes to revert to previous behaviour. Adobe why aren't you listening to us? Please get your engineers back onto the desktop app and hire app engineers to concentrate on the iPad Photoshop 2019 app. Keep the two separate and not make Photoshop work the same on desktop and same for future iPad app. Because I think that's what's happening.

Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the option to choose tool behavior is a must. I really don't understand how could they think it is a good idea to force users this way. This is insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please allow toggle to turn off new features that were made for newbies. Double clicking text and holding shift to scale are the big offenders. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh yes, please make it optional to have feartures like auto-commit. it is soo annoying having to break with years old workflow

Votes

Translate

Translate