• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Rotated/scaled Patterns files "Could not open "Untitled-1.psd" because of a program error."

Contributor ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a bug I came across that is replicable on Mac as well as PC in Photoshop. 

If you create a shape layer, say with the Rectangle tool, and then fill that shape with a default Photoshop pattern, in this example let's use the first one in the palette, "Right Diagonal Line 1". No problems so far. 

Now if you double click the shape layer a "Pattern Fill" window comes up and you have the option to change the Angle as well as the Scale. Now in my testing, you can change the Angle, OR the Scale to anything and it's fine. BUT if you change BOTH, to various number combinations you can preview and continue to work and save the file as normal but then won't be able to open it back up again. 

So to continue with the example: 

I change my Angle to 64 and my Scale to 70

previews, save, close and when you open again, you get the error "Could not open "Untitled-1.psd" because of a program error.

Some Angle and Scale combinations don't seem to trip up and break the file, and/or some patterns may be immune from breaking.

As I said, it can be replicated on a PC besides a Mac and PC seems to create a log file when scaling that might have something to do with the error. Here it is below: 

debug.log 

[0923/170401.240:WARNING:angle_platform_impl.cc(52)] compileToBinary(230): 

C:\fakepath(57,8-58): warning X3571: pow(f, e) will not work for negative f, use abs(f) or conditionally handle negative values if you expect them

C:\fakepath(65,8-28): warning X3571: pow(f, e) will not work for negative f, use abs(f) or conditionally handle negative values if you

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

This is fixed in Photoshop 22 and later.

Votes

Translate

Translate
6 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to get this to happen. Can you post a file set up in the state before you change the angle to 64 and scale to 70 that I can use to try and replicate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing. Let me know if this works. I created this PSD, saved it and then to test, I made a copy, opened the Pattern Fill Preferences and changed Angel to 64 and Scale to 70 and after saving, I can't open file again. 

Download PDS here

ScreenShot20200924at9.07.39AM1-d1d996f4-39d5-4768-a8a3-fb9af7ef59df-1401175690.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bingo. That's the ticket! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I can repro. I'll have engineering look into this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is fixed in Photoshop 22 and later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome, thanks Jeffrey for having it looked in to and getting fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate