• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Saving copy not saving over jpg file

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

working on Catalina OS. saving file extension works now but does not save over jpg when saving it creates a copy which is annoying and time consuming to fix

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 834 Replies 834
834 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I save as an image with the same name of one that already exists, Photoshop asks if it can be replaced. I click yes, but it creates copy with the same file name and "cpoy" in the end. Like if I had selected "Save as a copy"

It only happens when the files have the same name.

The problem is that Photoshop shows the same name, asks if I want to replace the file. I click yes but it doesn't replace, it creates a new file with the same name and adds "copy" in the name.

It also happens when I select "save as copy".  It used to show the word "copy" in the name in moment you click, so you can edit the name

I use Photoshop since 1994 and it has always work like this: you could see new name of the file with "copy" in the end and delete the copy it if you want. Then it used to replace the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known bug, that occurs because MacOS Catalina and Big Sur have some changes in this dialog box. There is a long thread about it already. Adobe is working on a fix.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sooooo we're just gonna let this file naming bug ride out even longer? kinda feel like this should be a priority, what with all the BASIC OPERATIONS OF SOFTWARE and whatnot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone updated to latest v of PS released earlier today? Curious if this issue was one of the fixes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to say that the "saving copy problem" is still there, it's so f***g incredible this thing..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still there. every few years adobe hits a problem like this that goes unsolved forever. of all software companies their updates are generally remarkably substantial and useful, bugs fixed relatively quickly. but once in a while nonsense like this goes down. there was something like this a few years back... not re: file naming but it was something big and glaring and unsolved for months. trying to remember what it was...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah saving is fine. saving a new version still adds the "copy" suffix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait this post was created in oct 23 2019 and this is still an issue like 3 versions of photoshop later? i truthfully do not understand what's happening with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kindly try File > Export As > JPG instead of File > Save As > JPG.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kindly try File > Export As > JPG instead of File > Save As > JPG.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or you can set your export preferences to JPG

File > Export > (set your Quick Export Format to JPG) > hit OK.

Then

File > Export > Quick Export as JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rene. The issue exists also exists with non-JPG file types such as TIF files, used often in print projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Quick Export set for a lower resolution export of my display images. Not an option here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not fixed. Illustrator is able to complete this task without creating a copy. Talking to Adobe, they had blamed the issue on Mac OS. There has been a huge update since then and still no headway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not fixed. Adobe support blames Mac OS for the issue. Illustrator has no issue saving over files however. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mattrock1 on set your Quick Export Format it looks like they only have JPG, SVG, PNG, GIF 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct, Rene. A workaround perhaps for working on web projects, though not a great option for print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still not fixed. This is the most annoying thing ever! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read somewhere (possibly on this thread) that in contacting Adobe they have said it's a Mac OS issue. does anybody use photoshop on Windows? And if so do you have the same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great question! Would be very interested to hear from Windows users also (if not already covered in this long-running thread).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some friends who use PS on Windows and when I have complained about this in the past they seem to not know what I'm talking about, but I should ask again.

I did ask some developers to speculate on this on the MacRumors forum. A few devs agreed that this sounds like a situation where the program is trying to overwrite a file which is already open (or locked for editing) so it makes sense that a copy is created... Which normally means saving a copy, deleting the old one, and renaming the new one, (so that no work is lost in the event of a power failure, system crash, etc.) 

However, I don't know if that fully explains why "it just works" when appending " copy" to the filename.

Personally, I'd be fascinated by a technical explanation for why this happens, but Adobe seems pretty quite on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it on my Windows VM and it works flawlessly. I created a psd file with multiple layers. Saved as a jpg and then changed the color of one of the layers and saved a new jpg and it saved right on top with no issues. All with a multi-layered file... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. It could be that Adobe are washing their hands of it blaming Mac OS! They really need to be solving the issue and work with apple on the problem. As Philip said, it'd be good to know the technical reason why this is happening. They must know!!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue definitely stems from Apple's new security and Full Disk Access settings with Catalina and continues with Big Sur. BTW - don't upgrade to BS until they fix a lot of bugs - no more font management - sizing windows is complete crap - long way to go to make it a viable OS.

Clearly Apple instituted the disk access pref to create an elevated level of security - good for us overall - but clearly Adobe was caught unaware and is incapable of responding with any viable solution. Adobe is supposed to get advanced OS development packages to go over any necessary updates to make their apps compatible with new OS releases. They didn't, and now it isn't.

Don't call their support - they consider this a new "feature". It is not.

Neither Apple nor Adobe gives a rat's ass about this.

Apple is too busy creating all kinds of new emojis for their phone-based OS. Just wait another year or so when your multi-thousands dollars MacBookPro works more like a phone than a viable working tool. Apple's new M1 chip will do just that. Just you wait!

Apple and Adobe have been at each other's throats over Flash for a decade.

Apple allows you to "PRINT" a locked PDF with their Preview app to create an unlocked version, completely undermining the security of Adobe's PDF format. This is horrifying but again, neither Apple nor Adobe seem to give a rat's ass, otherwise Adobe would have figured a way to prevent this. It's been like this for um, four years? Five? So don't think your locked PDFs are truly secure. They are not.

This is just another in a long line of craptastic manoeuvres between Apple and Adobe and we're caught in the middle.

Add to this - and just need to clarify again - ADOBE DOES NOT MONITOR THIS FORUM. They created "community forums" so that we, the user, do what their support is supposed to do - solve problems with their software.

So what I did do over the holidays when I had some downtime was to start a support chat, ask to speak to a tech, and then walked them through an issue in Illustrator - the scaling/reflection tool bug that introduced weird numbers, negative numbers into the dialogue box, making the live preview useless. I was paid for my time in a credit on my subscription. I'm certainly not going to assist Adobe for free.

Suggest we all do the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrew_croft 

Lots of information!  I have wondered for quite a while why I do not experience this and other problems, using a Windows machine. Thanks for the insights. BW, a number of Adobe Employees do, in fact, monitor this forum; their responses to this and other issues in other threads are all over the place.

Votes

Translate

Translate