• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transform/Resize is constrained by default - Want ability to go back to legacy behavior

Participant ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting a layer and dragging a corner handle with the shift (or alt-shift) key pressed, the resize proportion isn't constrained. This started with this most recent update.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019
With the 20.0.5 update, there is now a user facing preference under Preferences > General... and check "Use Legacy Free Transform"

Use this preference instead of the PSUserConfig.txt method.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 778 Replies 778
778 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that so many users have had to trawl through forums to find out how to use a tool thats worked perfectly well in one way for years, is ridiculous. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text tool opens text box with text aligned to the left. Now I have to waste time changing it all the time. And it defaults to a size I don't use and more time is wasted correcting that.

When using the transform tool it will free transform. but now it keeps proportion, In the past one had to keep the shift key down for maintaining proportion, now it free transforms when holding the shift key down. Please dont change the way these tools function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deon Harris presented 2 problems, where the second was about Transformation so why that has been decided to merge his topic to this one. What about first problem he mentioned that is not related to this theard? Shouldn't you leave his topic untouched?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text in Photoshop is a joke in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great advice, except text layers behave differently now to smart objects, or rasterised layers. Also, for some reason the layer labels for smart objects and shapes no longer work, so you can't scan through a document to see what is what! 0/10 rolling back to previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean that blank starting with 'Kind' and ending with 'Artboard' it works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uninstalled cc2019, went back to cc2018. waiting for updates:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As did I. There seems to be no other choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean that what laden m said? Hard to not vote for that 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, I finally rolled back to 2018. Photoshop, InDesign, Bridge...all 2019 is crap. And then there's that Adobe Blue Pimple in Acrobat DC that they call "Share"... Adobe needs a dermatologist, stat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did any of you guys who went back to CC2018 actually try the fix that's been posted here multiple times? It really does work and fixes not only FT, but Crop as well. Who knows if Adobe will ever admit they screwed up and fix this, and at a certain point, older versions will just not work on newer OS's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted to 2018 

I would be happy to try the fix AFTER it is integrated into 2019 and the otehr bugs are fixed and when 2019 vis actually ready for release.

Which i assume will probably be some time in 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sign up for Ps special  'optimistic' edition on the dedicated subpage of imagination community 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only reason I loaded PS 2019 in the first place was on Adobe's advice to fix a glitch. Instead of fixing the glitch, it just made things worse by disrupting my workflow and creating "version" issues between two concurrent versions.

They ended up remotely fixing a corrupt prefs file, then after remotely deleting the 2019 train-wreck, had to tweak my iMac so I could open and edit recent files in 2018.

Bad experience across-the-board, made me miss a deadline with the Robinson helicopters project. Thanks in part to CC 2019, I've probably lost that client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1.    Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).

2.    Type the text below in the text file:
TransformProportionalScale 0

3.    Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder:

·         Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\

·         macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

This was posted by an MVP, but I can’t find the original post.

It works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're supposed to just "know" that you should click on the What's New below the app name to get to a page that tells you what's new.

But I do see a couple of significant usability issues. For one thing, the What's New is hardly prominent. It could be so it acted more like a warning than marketing, just in case you were interested.

For another, when I look at the page, the whole new Transform and Auto-commit is under the heading "Usability Improvements." Way to be so boring and technical on that page, no one reads it. The headers, imo,  should be the feature names to direct our attention, not "Usability," or "Top Customer Requests." They could even use heads and subheads so they could put Usability Improvements underneath Transform and Auto-Commit. Subheads were invented a while ago, I believe.

But it's not as if they don't tell us—they just do it very quietly. '-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest try this in cc2019. It takes all of 4 minutes, and you will forget all about it. 

However, the guide thing in transform, if you use that, it's kinda difficult.

I always have to rotate and have to use guides to align objects. This slows me down a lot. You have to scroll the image so that it's close to the ruler, then drag the ruler in. If you are too far away, that's when rulers don't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that you cannot easily find the "feature" under what's new. It's just a bad feature. I did not hard to find out in 3 minutes that they reversed the constrain.

Further, Adobe's Whats New Page did not offer a fix there, someone here supplied it.

Most people find these features while working. Whats New Page would just make you frustrated in advance before finding them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Official Response

"new feature, use Shift to *un* constrain.  Constrain to fixed aspect is now on by default.  "

New feature on Camry, use right pedal for brakes, use left pedal for accelerator, and turn signal is now shift lever. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL "We found that many users preferred to back into their garage. NEW FEATURE. Use shift to go Forward."

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first I was annoyed by this feature. As many have reported, we are so very used to holding down the shift key. But I also believe change is important and am trying to embrace this new functionality. In a way, I see the logic — if the assumption is that the most common desire is for a proportional scale, then do that without requiring a modifier key. I do have one concern however, you still need to hold down shift to constrain proportions when making a shape or marquee selection. So now some part of my brain has to do more thinking about whether I am scaling something or drawing a shape or selection! I don't believe there is a perfect solution, but just wanted to share my 2¢.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but do it properly: consult, announce, make it consistent (as you point out) and change all apps in the suite.

Inconstancies between apps in the suite are sloppy, widening, unnecessary, avoidable and increasingly frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finding a "fix," since there wasn't officially a hack to "fix" transform, isn't the same issue as " users have had to trawl through forums to find out how to use a tool thats worked perfectly well in one way for years. . . " You didn't have to trawl to find out how it worked, only notice that there was a central location for finding out what was new before you went any further. You may think that reading the What's New page just makes you frustrated in advance. I prefer to know in advance what to look out for and test —before I make up my mind that it's a good idea or a terrible idea.

And I do think that better headers, like having a good index (which we don't have for the online guide), helps people quickly find what interests them. Getting their attention is half the battle in good design.

But yes, to fix Transform—since they didn't intend for us to choose to go back or they'd have given us a legacy setting—you do have to search hard, and in fact, had to wait for someone to supply it. Not that I think it's a genuine "fix" if you have to hack code to do it.  <g>

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect solution was provided with each earlier version. Problem is even not that's not consistent, but sometimes they give you no choise, or force you to some new preferences changes to change them back you must use some workaround (if possible).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with Jesse - I'm game to learn new habits - it slows me down but isn't world shattering. I like that there's now a default proportional scale, however, using shift as the "unconstrain" key is a confusing choice. Should've made it the command or control key instead. AND us "old hands" should have an option of  choosing what key we use to constrain/unconstrain transformations. I hope Adobe will give us an option in the future that allows us to choose the unconstrain key or a check box to go back to legacy transform properties that doesn't require us to write and load scripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate