• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ExtendScript Photoshop Edit Contents Smart Layer

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a psd file with an embedded psd file. Using photoshop normally, I double on the layer icon to edit the contents (or choose "edit contents" from the dropdown). I can not seem to find out how to open/edit it with extendscript/javascript. It is a legend that we use on our plans and would like to add content via scripting but need to find out how to edit the contents first. Note: this is not a linked file externally, it is embedded.

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

One way:

app.runMenuItem(stringIDToTypeID('placedLayerEditContents'));

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Photoshop/Script-to-Export-Contents-of-all-Smart-Objects-in-a-Photoshop/m-p/10644877

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JJMack 

Im not sure what this M1 chip has to do in this case? I dont want to start a OS thread, im in favor of OSX actually hahaha

However, the earlier function i showed works now on both OS's. So your function seems to make it work on OSX while the since runMenuItem runs smooth for me on Windows. Perhaps its because of faster machine vs older (12year old) machine.

PS Photoshop runs on the M1 using Rosetta. I dont know if you have seen any vids about this new chip. But its going to crush intel! The airbook already crushes the 2016 macbook pro.... Thats a light machine crushing a so called pro machine. Im really curious what the feature will bring if they come with more powerful versions. On youtube many of the tech reviewers also show super great specs, numbers and comparissons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

test

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue happened when i was posting message quite fast within the hour. Thats also why i got the "wait 3600 second" warning/error.

I also see a lot of errors when i post code which have comments in them from either community links or other website. It then shows an error about "faulty html" code or so. I did make a screengrab of that error i get a lot when pasting script as Javascript. Sometimes when i checked the pasted script, i noticed parts where missing. But also i noticed sometimes parts where added. I looked like it grabbed text of the forum link i pasted in the script as a comment.

This is the error i see a lot when pasting script which has links in thereThis is the error i see a lot when pasting script which has links in there

What i did see a lot was that when i pressed post, the page would reload and nothing showed. No error not hint of bad embed text nothing, my complete message was gone. This happened quite a lot of times. Then eventually after witing a day i still could reply to a post made by JJMack. I could only reply to the main question on top.

Could it be that threads have some kind of limit of responses? Because i was posting quite a lot script code each time, perhaps there something like a "max character count", i dont know. You would need to ask the developers of the forum.

The fact that you think its posting and it doesnt is nasty. You cant go back and you basically lost your complete message.

Hope this helps to understand what i was experiencing and perhaps can help to backtrack the issue.

PS there was actually another weird error i got. Its an error where it also stated that "invalid HTML" is used and that its being highlighted, yet nothing is highlighted then?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@schroef  wrote:
"… Sorry my message didnt post a couple times, then i got some kind of ban and needed to wait a hour. Kinda stupid dumb it does a page refresh and not post the message. Twice did i made a long new post, both times lost 

:(

This forum still isnt working really well i guess. …"

test

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pixxxelschubser 

thanks for trying, i just posted my experience above and added some comments about what happened.

Sadly i didnt screengrab every error i got. Only the "wrong/bad HTML" code error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes you fixed it

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines