Copied

Help Please. Thank you.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Hi Tishah,

Is your Photoshop document in CMYK? If it's in RGB, is it in 16 or 32 bit? The filter gallery is disabled in these modes. Put the document in RGB 8 bit to enable it.

Let us know if that resolves the issue or if you need further assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the same issue,  You have to chnge the document to 8 bit in cc2020. Must ne a bug with photoshop, hopefully they will fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed it to Image-Mode-RGB-8bits and it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posting in case anyone else like me finds this from Google and the answers here aren't helping you: 
In addition to a file being in 16bit or CMYK, another issue can be the file dimensions. One of the other answers here mentioned PSB vs PSD, but that's not the issue, the file size can be as big as can be, what matters are the dimensions. If your file is over 30,000px then certain filters will be greyed out. (I haven't tested if they're the same ones that are greyed out for being in 16bit but I'd assume so). 
Bonus tip, if you're wondering why "Lens Blur" is greyed out for smart objects, who knows, but it can be re-enabled. Photoshop used to come with a sample script to "enable all filters" but it's no longer included, but you can find it by downloading the Scripting Listener plug in: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/downloadable-plugins-and-content.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@alexanderl16240166It's interesting to add here that Photoshop is the only (serious) image editor on the market today that enforces such limitations on the user. Other image editors such as PhotoLine, Affinity Photo, Krita, etc. allow all filters to be applied to an image of any bit depth and image mode, including the artistic ones.

In a sense these arbitrary limitations do expose the aging architecture of Photoshop. We can only hope the development team will bring improvements rather sooner than later: PS is falling behind the curve in several areas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the size of image is very big fiter won't work. My reseloution was 600 I reduced it to 300 and started to work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Everything I have tried has not worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with an RGB, 8 bit file.  For me, the problem was the file was too big for the filter gallery to recognize.  My file was 120" x 80" and I had to reduce the image size to 90"x 60" and the filter gallery choice became enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone! So, my filter gallery *used* to work. But, now, it does not and has not for a very long time. But today, I really need it. Yes, yes, yes. I've tried every single fix in this thread, yet nothing has restored my filter gallery. While I tend to agree with one of the comments that Photoshop needs to get with the program in terms of archaic structure, below are the solutions that I have tried (though I shouldn't have to try so hard!):

1. confirmed RGB color mode is set to 8 bits

2. File is not too big - 1920x1080, 300 dpi (in fact, filter gallery does not work in ANY file, no matter how small or large)

3. Filter gallery is enabled (is not greyed out)

4. PS is up to date

5. Tried closing re-opening about 9,000 times sime this has been ocurring

5. Copied layers into a new doc, to no avail

So, what gives, PS folks? I dunno. I'm thinking, a bug??? Totally annoying for the flipping subscription fee we all pay, knowing there are SO many other competitors with uh, more inutitive features.

Any magic would be appreciated. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3. Filter gallery is enabled (is not greyed out)

I don’t follow – is Filter Gallery available or not? 

Could you please post screenshots taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2024 May 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, first, thanks for all the replies and eagerness to help. 🙂

To answer 2 questions, one from @c.pfaffenbichler -

Yes, Filter Gallery is available. But it is non responsive.

And @davescm - great question! Nothing happens. lol.

So, I have attached a little video showing the steps in trying to get Filter gallery to work.

Hope this helps! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2024 May 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please convert the Layer to a Smart Object and apply the Filter, even if there is no noticable change, and post screenshots taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marvelous MeeMee,

You need to enable the Eye to the left of applied filter.

ey.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to enable the Eye to the left of applied filter.

Good one; I missed that! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'...3. Filter gallery is enabled (is not greyed out)...'

So what happens when you try and use it?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2024 May 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attaching 2 items:

1. A short mp4 file that shows the steps taken in trying to use Filter Gallery and how it does not work. And this process after re-saving the file into a new file. Nothing works.

2. A screenshot of the popup message I got before and after uninstalling and reinstalling PS just this morning.

And still. Filter gallery is not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff Arola apparently already solved your problem! 

Please check the visibility-icon already! 

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 08.38.09.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any magic would be appreciated. 🙂

By @Marvelous MeeMee

I can only think of two possible things:

• Type "D" to reset your foreground and background swatches first, then try again.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you’re really struggling, you can ask Adobe to get someone to take over
your computer and have a look remotely. Google Contact Adobe Support and
then in the bottom under Contact us, chat to a bot and say let me speak to
a human. Then the person will sort you. X

*Tim Brockbank */ Graphic Designer
[Personal info removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @TimothyTyndale - thanks for the tip! In a way,  your message is really funny. lol. But it is very true and I'm almost there with my 'struggling'. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post meaningful screenshots to illustrate your actual problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kindly check the little video and screenshot posted a bit ago. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kindly check the visibility icon of the Filter in the Filter Gallery dialog already. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 08.48.19.pngScreenshot 2024-05-13 at 08.48.22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2024 May 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Problem solved. Thanks very much @c.pfaffenbichler  and to everyone else in this thread!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines