Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hand Tool lock after releasing spacebar

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

since the last update i have an issue with the hand tool. Usually i use the space bar for switch to the hand tool and scroll the image, but after releasing the space bar and the mouse click the tool keep working like if i am still holding down the commands annd the cursor movement clearly move my visual. For unlocking it i have to click 4-5 times on the image o clickin on the navigator.

Someone have an idea for fixing it? 😞

Thanks a lot

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 117 Replies 117

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been happening to me too, but only with latest release of PS. Also sticks when drawing with the pen (paths) tool as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly with brush, with pen tool, patch healing spot...whenever i use the space bar 9 times on 10 the hand get stuck. Such fun when you are creating a path and clicking for unlocking the tool u gate a point 10km away! 😄 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mark8819 sorry to hear this.

Go to Preferences/Tools and disable flick panning and overscroll - does the issue still occur?

Are you using only a mouse or do you also have a graphics tablet/pen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it still happens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this marked as fixed? The answer to your question, was no this did not fix it "it still happens". I'm having the same issue with this latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spoke too soon, it worked for awhile, but now the hand tool doesn't release properly causing the image to move when I'm done using the hand tool. Sort of a sticky effect, I have to click on the image to stop it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This response was in March. It's now September & still no fixes.

Fix This Please or at least give some update on the status of the tool, is there a work around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roll back to version 24.0. That is the only sure fire way to stop it. They
did send out an email a couple of weeks ago saying a fix was in the works.
But no sign of it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2023 Dec 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FOR ANYONE ELSE STILL HAVING THIS ISSUE:
@Ex-photo printer  is correct. 

The only current fix for this is to roll back to version 24.0.0
My team and I believe it's something to do with the development of the AI generative fill addition. When they added that, the sticky hand, sticky zoom, and sticky resizing issue all appeared. I just don't understand why they can't fix this issue yet? 
The first I can find of this issue happening is in February and it's already December.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cory

This doesn't fix the problem. The 'stick' seems to happen with a number of tools/operations involving clicking and moving mouse. Only appeared with latest version of PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have a Wacom tablet + a CoolerMaster KeyPad. Without rebooting them to the factory settings and disabling only flick panning, looks like fixed the problem! (clearly the movement is not so smooth now).
I had just a fast check now, in the next days i'm gonig to check if the problem comesback during more of hard session of post producton

I found another problem instead with the hand tool while i was trying this solution. If the option flick panning is active, after a bunch of fast click and drag WITH the pen/tablet, the visual get stuck. The navigaton zoom red square in the navigator is moving normally, and the side scorll bar are moving too, but not the visual. I have to save and re-open the file to get back it to normal. But this not happen when i use the mouse.

Btw, thanks for the solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have this problem. Using a mouse on latest version of PS 24.2.1. Any tool that requires a hold and drag. Disabling the flick panning does nothing for me. I even replaced the batteries in my wireless mouse and keyboard, but this wasn't the issue. No problems at all in Illustrator, just Photoshop. I am baffled as to why a lot of Adobe updates break things that were never broken before. Happy to supply spec of my system if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/sometimes-space-bar-is-retained-have-...

Actually, this is a problem that started last year.
I reported it to the Bug tab, but it didn't get attention because I moved my thread to the Discussions tab. And this bug still occurs in 24.2.
The solution was simple. Press the space bar one more time.

This is not a serious bug, but sometimes it's annoying to have to press the space bar again unnecessarily. But I've been with that bug for almost eight months now and I think I've gotten used to it.
This was excluded from the Bug tab in the first place last year, so I don't think there will be any corrections for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you take this bug too difficult when you work, Photoshop 2021 may be the best option. As far as I remember testing last year, I was sure there was no bug in Photoshop 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope pressing space again doesn't work for me, only clicking again, but its a work around with extra step after releasing the spacebar, not a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did get it to un-grab by pressing the bottom pen button. But hard to do by instinct after twenty eight years of using Wacom with PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me after upgrading Photoshop to the latest version. The "chosen" correct answer didn't work for me. I've rolled back to the previous version and will wait for a fix. It's a small bug but an annoying one that has slowed down my productivity quite a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happens to me too, insanely annoying since moving around the canvas when zoomed in is basically nightmare now, I am retouching a lot of product images zoomed all the way and this is pure pain.

EDIT: the new version 24.3 did not fix the issue so I installed older 23.0, it does not bug in that one in case someone wants to do this temporarily as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and it makes me dread having to work in photoshop. I'm using a mouse on a brand new windows install and latest version of photoshop. This needs fixed ASAP! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also wanted to add another issue that seems to be related to this. It seems like if I'm using the hand tool and it refuses to release, I also can't use a keyboard shortcut to select a different tool. I find that I often have to press, say the "Z" button several times before the zoom tool activates. Usually it just reverts back to the cursed hand tool! This happens with the brush tool, pen tool, clone stamp tool and the move tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear this @B_C_E_75, curious if you have tried changing the springboard keyboard shortcuts time? By default it is set to 200ms which is what it has been for years so if that doesn't work for your workflow, increase the timing or uncheck that option so that spring-loaded keyboard shortcuts are disabled if that fits your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cory, I appreciate the info on a potential fix to my issue. My thought is, I have been using this same HP workstation, keyboard and mouse for the last 4 or 5 years. Other than a fresh Windows install along with my other programs, I haven't had these issues until the last two updates to photoshop. I use Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, Lightroom, Bridge and Framemaker on an almost daily basis and my keyboard shortcuts and mouse work fine in all those other programs. Photoshop was working just fine up until the last few updates as well.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite the response you received above regarding the default 200ms timing, something definitely changed with one of the most recent updates. I did find that increasing the time to 1000+ms seems to have fixed the issue on my end. I was glad to see I was not alone in this. It was driving me absolutely batty!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines