• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to drag and drop an image in windows explorer to Photoshop and keep it centered?

Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often need to drag and drop an image file from windows explorer to the current working psd file, and since I am working on it, I always zoom in the canvas quite a lot. So, when I drag and drop an image while the photoshop canvas in really zoomed in, the image will be place where the cursor is. My work around now is to zoom out the canvas on photoshop and then drag and drop, that will fit the image in the center of the canvas, but that is annoying extra step in my workflow, since I have to do this hundreads times in a day. Is there any way or setting to drag and drop an image while the photoshop canvas is really zoomed in? really apprenciate it.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

@Rizum wrote:

record the action, because I am not sure how to achive that.

atn.png

Link:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/7e5bb69f-bdc6-433e-785f-f841e8824214

Download the .atn file and save it to your drive or to a backup etc. Use the Window > Actions menu command to open the Action panel, then use the upper right hand menu to load the .atn file. You can then set a custom F-Key shortuct by highlighting the action (not the set/folder) and using the action panel menu item for "Action Option

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could do it with an Action and trigger it with a Function key.  I just tested and it works fine.  Assuming you have Preferences set to bring Placed objects as Smart Objects, you have to hit Enter to OK the SO. Then hit your Function key and the layer is centred without affecting your current zoom level.

I am sure you can do the Action, but ask if not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I suggest using Function keys I like to show the defualt shortcuts.  I argue that single key shortcuts are too useful to leave to their defualt settings.  Ask yourself if you ever use the shortcuts below, and if not, then think about making better use if them.  F1 is hard wired and can't be changed.

Help_________________________ F1

Cut__________________________ F2

Character Panel________________ F3

Adjustments Panel______________ F4

Brushes panel__________________ F5

Colour panel___________________ F6

Layers Panel___________________ F7

Info Panel_____________________ F8

Actions Panel__________________ F9

History Panel__________________ F10

Timeline______________________ F11

Revert________________________ F12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"F1 is hardwired and can't be changed."

> I use F1 to Start/Continue actions (PC).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"F1 is hardwired and can't be changed."

> I use F1 to Start/Continue actions (PC).

By @Signfeld

OK.  I am going by it being unavailable as an option when recording an Action

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is probably true, but you did start out by listing shortcuts set in Keyboard Shortcuts... Then showing Action options is a small jump in logic...

I didn't say I (can) use F1 for any action, but for Play. I assign it in the Keyboard Shortcuts.

I use a ton of deliberate stop steps in my actions, and the Play also serves as Continue, making F1 my most used function key.

Photoshop_oO7ov62JDP.jpg

Sorry if my first reply was emailed to you. I've had my reality arrogantly denied by two "big names" in the last few days alone. I first figured you were a third one... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thank you for your suggestion, but I think I would like to know how to set it up, could you help me on this please. I will appreciate your effort 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For actions, select an action, open its panel menu and see Action Options...

Other stuff:

Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rizum wrote:

Hey thank you for your suggestion, but I think I would like to know how to set it up, could you help me on this please. I will appreciate your effort 😄

Do you mean that you don't know how to create/record the action? Or do you mean setting up a keyboard shortcut?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rizum wrote:

atn.png

Link:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/7e5bb69f-bdc6-433e-785f-f841e8824214

Download the .atn file and save it to your drive or to a backup etc. Use the Window > Actions menu command to open the Action panel, then use the upper right hand menu to load the .atn file. You can then set a custom F-Key shortuct by highlighting the action (not the set/folder) and using the action panel menu item for "Action Options".

options.png

Helpx Articles:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-actions.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/playing-actions.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A simple scripted version which will allow a more flexible custom keyboard shortcut to be used on the installed script (rather than an F-Key):

// Centre active layer on canvas
var doc = app.activeDocument;
var docLayer = app.activeDocument.activeLayer;
docLayer.translate(doc.width / 2 - (docLayer.bounds[0] + docLayer.bounds[2]) / 2,
    doc.height / 2 - (docLayer.bounds[1] + docLayer.bounds[3]) / 2);

The following script does the same thing as the action:

https://gist.github.com/MarshySwamp/df372e342ac87854ffe08e79cbdbcbb5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! it works perfectly! QvQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rizum â€“ Having dragged content auto centre on the canvas does appear to be dependent on having the entire canvas visible.

I have tried different keyboard modifiers without success. When dragging from one open document to another open doc in Photoshop, holding down the shift key modifier will centre the new layer content – but you are dragging from outside Photoshop.

Perhaps a less onerous extra step would be to use a keyboard shortcut to run an action or script to auto-centre the active layer to the canvas, at least that way your zoom and pan don't need to be changed.

Edit: I now see that @Trevor.Dennis has replied while I was typing my reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try doing a Select>All, then drag your image in from explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff Arola â€“ nice one, that works too! 

At this point, it appears to be a case of either:

1) Use an action + F-key shortcut or a script + standard custom keyboard shortcut

Pros: only a single step once setup

Cons: requires setup and remembering a keyboard shortcut

or

2) Select all, drag from Finder/Explorer, deselect

Pros: no actions or scripts required, uses standard keyboard shortcuts

Cons: two additional steps

Does anybody have a third option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe there's an event trigger for dropping an image in?

I'll have to check these out asap! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your suggestion! Though I think since I am wanting to remove one step in my workflow I think I will go with the action route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Just a quick quesiton for you--When you zoom out do you press Cmd/Ctrl 0? That is the fastest way to zoom out. Then start dragging your files into your document and hold down the Shift key and all your files will be centered.

2 steps and no panels to open or close. It's simple, but it works!

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines