• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Meta tags images as "Made with AI" if You Use Gen Fill

Engaged ,
Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, apparently Adobe has begun adding metadata to images that says they were made with AI (or at the very least, that AI was used) if you used Gen Fill at all. I realized this because some websites, such as Instagram, have begun automatically labeling any images I had used Gen Fill on as "Made with AI" based on the metadata Photoshop had added, without the option for me to remove the label.

I use Gen Fill to expand backgrounds a bit when I need to change the aspect ratio of an image (4x5 from a 2x3 for Instagram), or to more quickly and easily remove an unwanted object or blemish in photo I took and spent a lot of time and effort taking. I don't use it to create entirely made-up backgrounds or people. If I'd known my long hours setting up photo shoots, purchasing supplies, props, and more would all be given the label of "Made with AI" making my clients and other people think I'm just generating my photography, I would never have used Gen Fill in the first place. To me it's just been a quicker and better version of Content Aware Fill. 

So, for those of you who have had the same experience and, like me, don't want your work labeled as "Made with AI" when you've maybe used Gen Fill to remove a beer can from a photo, just export your photos as a bitmap, open them with Microsoft Paint and save them as a JPEG from there. It will remove the relevant metadata.

(subject edited by moderator to remove false information and replace it with correct information. Meta is adding that tag, not Photoshop, and they say  so in their help pages.)

Edit by OP: I appreciate the moderators not simply deleting this thread, because I do think this is a good discussion to have. I do believe my post clearly stated that the tag of "Made with AI" was created by Instagram (Meta) and that Photoshop was simply including an indicator (metadata/Content Credentials) with the image when it's saved out of Photoshop that showed some sort of AI was used. If the mods felt my original subject was false information, I can assure them that it was not intended to be.

I have also simply stopped using any AI tools in Photoshop for any photos I intend to post online. I'd rather take the extra time to edit my photos the way I have been for the last 25+ years than have my clients mistakenly think my photography is completely AI generated.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

New Here , Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

There is another way without even leaving photoshop. Just create a new document with the same dimensions as the last one and copy everything from the current file to the new one while they are both open in photoshop. The new one will not have any metadata when you export.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Here is an article outlining the issues with Meta's "Made with AI" label and what features in Photoshop, Lightroom, and Firefly will trigger it.

https://petapixel.com/2024/06/25/this-is-what-makes-instagram-flag-your-photo-as-made-with-ai/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We shouldn't have to do this. It's ridicoulous. They are forcing ai on us then taking credit for our photos. Ai is already tyrannical right out of the box. They just killed the editing scene for everyone. We need an alternative software with no Ai for the rest of us. I had a 400.00 go pro lots of time finding locations, taking a still shot from the camera, edit one car out of the frame and Ai tkaes credit for the whole image. Didn't reimburse me for time or fuel or hand feeding them my image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shame on you Adobe! You should think all the pros and cons before creating a feature like that! Many photographers are extremely unhappy about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shame on you Adobe! You should think all the pros and cons before creating a feature like that!

By @Jose Garcia Photography

Adobe did not create Content Credentials. The Content Authenticity Initiative did.

I just looked at the list of members, which is much longer now than it was the last time I looked. It includes Adobe, Microsoft, multiple newspapers, several camera manufacturers, and many more. 

https://contentauthenticity.org/

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem, it really sucks to see my design post labeled with 'Made with AI' when I only use the Remove Background features 😢. Well, i guess i should try your solutions next time. Reaally worried my client will think i use fully ai to design huft

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using AI features means your artwork will be labeled as made with AI. You could always manually remove the background, or better yet shoot in a way that doesn't require a background swap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Photoshop Tags Images as "Made with AI" if You Use Gen Fill"

By @SK321

Meta claims that they are the ones who add the "Made with AI" tag to Instagram and Facebook.

"When the “Made with AI” label is required

"Meta requires you to label content you share that has photorealistic video or realistic-sounding audio that has been digitally generated or altered, including with AI. This means that if this kind of content was created or modified with a digital creation or AI tool, you must label it before you share it."

Read these articles for details:

https://help.instagram.com/761121959519495

https://about.fb.com/news/2024/04/metas-approach-to-labeling-ai-generated-content-and-manipulated-me...

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another way without even leaving photoshop. Just create a new document with the same dimensions as the last one and copy everything from the current file to the new one while they are both open in photoshop. The new one will not have any metadata when you export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2024 Jun 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am furious with both Adobe and Instragram for this. Photographers are not creating fake news or deep fake images for deception. I photograph models with the new AI "tools" as a time-save for a sightly better result. Good photographers have the integrity and desire to not change a model's true image. Even if they do, it's still art. There are no victims. Why not then tag makeup, padded bras, false eyelashes, and selfie filters? And yet ironically, IG photographers can't show a nude body because it is too natural and real. Its absurd. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2024 Jun 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

France requires fashion images which are altered, AI or not, to be labeled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can i find the metadata inside Photoshop where an image would be tagged as being made with AI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@barbara_a its in the Content Authenticity data. The issue being discussed is not with Photoshop per se - it's with Meta flagging anything with AI as "Made with AI" which is a pretty broad comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One place to view the metadata is in the Content Credentials panel, Preview tab, shown in the picture below. For this to show up, you have to enable Content Credentials.

Photoshop-Content-Credentials.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought of another example. In this document, Content Credentials is not enabled and the document hasn’t even been saved yet. But still, in File > Export > Export As, it says Photoshop will automatically apply Content Credentials because I used Generative Fill, and it will embed that metadata in the exported copy to let people know that AI was used. You can click Preview to see what Content Credentials is going to say in the file.

If AI is not listed inside Photoshop but it gets tagged as AI by another service such as Instagram, then the problem is with content analysis software at the service, not with the Photoshop file.

Photoshop-Content-Credentials-in-Export-As.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an article outlining the issues with Meta's "Made with AI" label and what features in Photoshop, Lightroom, and Firefly will trigger it.

https://petapixel.com/2024/06/25/this-is-what-makes-instagram-flag-your-photo-as-made-with-ai/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is SO frustrating, Adobe!  I literally have hundreds of photos that I cropped using Generative Fill to preserve the edges and it is tagging them.  Adobe seriously needs to jump on this and FIX IT!!  I agree that photos that are completely AI generated should be flagged as such, but this is NOT RIGHT or FAIR to artists!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barbara P please read the thread - the issue is with Meta hamfisted flagging anything (and also flagging items that did not use AI). Meta has come out with an article today stating they are re-evaluating how they are tagging items at "Made with AI".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin stohlmeyer Well, the thread is partly about that, but it's also about how Photoshop adds metadata/Content Credentials that indicate AI was used in the image. That, in turn, is used by Meta to label images as "Made with AI" as well as some of the other reasons they tag images with that label.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe part of this is nuanced as explained in the article - however the Meta is on or off (and wrong most times). That could be handled a lot better with phrases like "contains AI" or something less full throated as "Made with AI" which is not accurate at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@kevin stohlmeyer well, that's good to hear. It's an improvement, even if it's not a perfect solution. Apparently the folks who commented on this thread weren't the only ones bothered by this, by far. I do find this part of the article interesting:
"There are a host of tools inside of Adobe Photoshop that will generate the “Made with AI” tag even though the final image may be 99% or more untouched by AI."

So, Meta was definately using Photoshop's tag to justify labeling images with the "Made with AI" label. I wonder if Adobe will add aditional tags that might indicate either what tools specifically were used (as I don't believe the Remove Tool is nearly as deserving of an AI label as the Gen Fill tool) or perhaps indicate the percentage of the image that has AI generated content. 

It'll be interesting, going forward, to see how this all shakes out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines