• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem Parsing the JPEG Data??

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2015 May 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why am I receiving the error "Could not complete your request because of an problem parsing the JPEG data" when I try to open photo files in Elements editor (7.0)? I was able to open these files in Photoshop a few weeks ago and now I get an error. This is occurring for many of my files. How do I correct this? Please help me!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

I have found a solution, however, only for MAC users:

Step 1:  Download the image to your "downloads" folder. 

Step 2:  Open your "Photos" program on your MAC.  (I currently run OS El Capitan)

Step 3:  Go into your "File" menu, and scroll down to "Import"

Step 4:  When the window opens, go to your "Downloads" folder that you saved your photo in.  Click on the name of your photo.

Step 5:  After your photo opens, go back to the "File" menu, but this time click "Export".  It will have an arrow that go

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Found a very quick method to sort for windows users. Open the file that doesnt work in the standard windows picture viewer, rotate the image, close, rotate back and close again. Will work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 168 Replies 168
People's Champ ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.  All the "solutions" above (while effective work arounds) don't fix the underlying problem.  Opening JPEG images reliably should be an absolutely basic function of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't underestimate the probable root cause of this problem.

For security reasons Adobe have likely implemented strict adherence to file header format protocols. Instagram have likely DELIBERATELY set their servers to generate slightly faulty headers in their files, or at least files that may be considered invalid.

Why wouldn't Adobe open them anyway?

Because non-compliant files could pose a security/malware risk.

Why would Instagram do this?
To stop people from easily saving and editing their customers' images.

Why hasn't Adobe fixed it?
Because they probably have an agreement with Instagram to leave it "broken".

IrfanView is probably the best way to batch-convert invalid JPEGs into lossless 24bit PNG or TIFF files which can be opened in Photoshop etc.

ps. For all those following the "Use MS Paint" or "Rotate in Preview" suggestions above, you will be losing image quality when you action these steps as the images are being re-compressed when they are saved as JPEGs again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of points...

First the pictures that I had trouble with did not come via Instagram.  They were shot by a client (I'm guessing on her phone but never asked) and emailed directly to me. 

Second, you will note that in my mention of using MS Paint to open the files, I suggested saving them in a non-compressed format to avoid any extra quality degradation.

Third, if Adobe have an "agreement to leave it broken" why do some people manage to open the photos via Bridge which is another Adobe product?  Indeed, I've yet to find graphics software except for Photoshop that can't open the images.  I know PS is the market leader for professional photography but surely, if it is indeed an anti-piracy issue, it's the people using cheap and nasty photo editors that are the most likely pirates.

Sorry, but when I apply Occam's Razor to this one, the simplest and most likely answer is that it's a bug they haven't got round to fixing yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realise your Paint instructions were clear about the Lossless formats. There are a lot of replies above that don't address this though!

Bridge isn't as supported as it once was and I imagine it is somewhat disconnected from the current grouping of Adobe Apps. Lightroom too, seems to sit on a different development workflow and this is also reported to be able to open the files. Most other Adobe CC apps seem to be having the same problem, with Illustrator and Premiere mentioned in previous posts.

Of course I am just speculating about the root cause of the issue. But if your client supplied you with exported photos from her Instagram profile (Facebook sourced pics seem unaffected) then perhaps the problem is identical?

I agree it could certainly be Adobe dropping the ball on a bug fix. It wouldn't be the first time!

nb. I've encountered identical issues with Instagram pics under Windows 10 and Windows 7. I don't think it is OS related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for the purpose of trying to diagnose where the problem lies, the client photos I checked with the client and the photos were with a Nikon DSLR (not phone as I guessed) and uploaded directly to Dropbox for me.

This confuses me farther--I also use a Nikon DSLR (different model to her).  I shoot in RAW/NEF format but just tried opening a native JPEG from my camera and it was fine.

I hope the developers get a good rest over the Adobe holiday shutdown...this is turning into a puzzler!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and managed to get around it,

Edit > Preferences > File Handling > Camera Raw Preferences > "JPEG and TIFF Handling" - Click the dropdown and select "Automatically open all supported JPEGs/TIFFs" and click OK, this brings up a new import modal when I try and import now, but worked for me,

Hope this helps someone else

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it, thanks for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! The 8 steps in the first post worked flawlessly on my Mac, OS 10 El Capitan, Photos Version 1.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround, not a solution.

Doesn't open with Media Encoder, Premiere Pro either. I'm guessing the JPEG parser from Adobe is incomplete/faulty.

Adobe, please fix this!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I found a quick workaround...if you open the image in Acrobat you can then select the image in acrobat, right click, then save as.  Rename the image and it will open fine in photoshop.  Weird to have to do it, but it is quicker than opening another paint software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest solution I have found and been able to replicate each time with proper results is just copying the images in question to a new folder without any special permissions set to it. Then I batch run them through software such as ImageOptim which completely strips the files of any metadata that may have been inserted along the way. It seems to be a frequent thing with photos from Instagram so I am guessing this is where the error starts. Once the metadata is stripped they open fine without any sort of re-saving or exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very simple, In MAC open it in preview and duplicate it, then save as png or tiff or any format available there. In windows, open it in the paint and save as in your desired format. Thanks, Saroj Ray from Nepal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy fix on PC.. Open Image in paint and save again with new name. Job done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried every possible option, and nothing is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johns9184832  wrote

I've tried every possible option, and nothing is working.

Hi John

You haven't provided any detailed information about your PS and OS versions, system specs etc, exactly what have you done so far to troubleshoot the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s resolved. I got with one of the techs and he changed a registry key. It’s fine now. Sorry for the lack of information before.

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, at least you got it sorted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to know what the tech did. I'm having the same problem after the recent Windows 10 update. I don't want the work around where you save the photo through another program and then open in Photoshop. And my jpgs aren't corrupt. I edit large numbers of photos and need this to work smoothly again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He changed a binary number and a registry key.  He was a big help.  Did it thru the on-line chat from Adobe support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, have only just downloaded the Adobe Creative Cloud suit after using stand alone programs for years, and this is also happening to me. I'm hoping someone working for the developers is reading this cause if I'm going to PAY for this 'service' I expect it to do the thing its telling me it can DO.  I have never had this problem with other versions of photoshop, and it extremely frustrating that an Industry Standard program that claims its the best thing ever would be better off opening images in MS Paint first because of a ridiculous bug. I am really really disappointed that I'm giving them money to have access to a half-assed program that cant cope with a simple .jpg file- the most commonly used. Seriously guys, get your act together or I'm pulling my subscription.

Thanks all forum commenters for your suggestions and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution for Any OS, Mac, Win or Linux:

If you've got loads of images use this, B.I.R.M.E. - Batch Image Resizing Made Easy (Online & Free) just resave all the images through this and download the zip file, all the images should work now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My images are sideways, so I opened in Preview, rotated image and resaved, they now open in Photoshop. I hate resaving but this worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thnx guy. goodness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one works for me. File > open as > click on the photo you want to open and this will appear on the file name next choose the type of file, choose camera raw file > then open image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens when you try to mess with Instagram photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines