• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Requiring' Mac OS 13+ is not a good move

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using an early Macbook Pro 13" (A1502) on Monterey. Today I update to latest Photoshop Beta 25.0 and Lightroom Classic 15.2 release/Camera Raw 15/5 and get the message:

Mac OS X version 13.4.0 or later is recommended for maximum performance and correct operation of Adobe Photoshop 2024. An earlier version of Mac OS X was detected.

What kind of (lack of) support is this? I and others are being forced to cancel our subscriptions if Adobe cannot maintain support for perfectly fine and fast legacy machines. Please stop resorting to anti-consumer practices (radical obsolesence) for their financial benefit.

There are other systems out there, and the only thing keeping me (and others) loyal is our stubborness to confront the learning curve of a new environment.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Terence5F91 thats not true. I run Ventura on my Intel Mac Mini just fine. M1/2 Chips are not required to run Ventura.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only certain macs can. Mine is not one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True older Macs cannot support Ventura. However "Ventura only works on the new Mxxx macs" is not true.

Ex I have a 2015 MBP I still use and its running Catalina. I accept the fact that is the end of the line for OS updates (and Creative Cloud) for that machine. It still runs CC2019 just fine and it works for what I need it for.

Not throwing serviceable equipment away but also being realistic of the lifespan/compatibility of equipment vs the requirements for GPU intensive applications like Photoshop and After Effects.

I'd love for my car to run on synthetic fuels as well but it's not equipped for it. Thats the reality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can still drag and drop from LRC to PS 2024.  But will I have full PS capabilities?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wish I knew what LRC was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - Lightroom Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The arguements for just not upgrading expose a major flaw in Adobes business model based on subscritions for upgrades.

The monthly fee is to pay for new feature upgrades and if you can no longer upgrade why should you pay for monthly features you no longer get, but rather keep using the same software you have. This breaks the subscription business model as you have to keep paying to even use the software you have which is no longer supported on your machine? In essence you are paying for something you no longer recieve?This is breaking the consumer promise in moving to a subscription model.
Adobe should be required to add features to the older software versions on an older OS versions that would not require the new OS capabilities?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your argument is flawed and has been debated since Creative Cloud was released in 2013.

You are paying a subscription fee for access to the software and add-ons like fonts, Express, etc - period. What "consumer promise" was ever given?

Access to the newer features is the responsibility of the user to maintain compatibility. Adobe has a responsibility to keep their software compatible with the current OS releases for Windows and Apple.

If your hardware/OS can handle the new features then by all means take advantage of it, but its not a required upgrade. If it can't update your OS or Adobe Creative Cloud, you can continue to use the version that is compatible, but you still need to pay for licensing.

Demanding Adobe add newer features to older versions is not possible. Older computers cannot handle the GPU loads alone required to run newer features makes that a moot point. It's like asking to add flex fuel or rechargeable electric battery capabilities to my 1990s car. Do you expect the fuel company to pay for that? No. It's up to the consumer to pay and upgrade the equipment to handle it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not exactly an Adobe cheerleader but hyperbole and misinformation aren't helpful.

- You DO NOT need to upgrade macOS to run PS 25.0. I have it on two Intel/Monterey Macs including my work 2019 MacBook Pro and its just fine. And yes I got the alert.

- Newer Intel Macs can run Ventura and Sonoma (released yesterday). Apple has an official list of supported computers on its Sonoma page (scroll to the bottom.) https://www.apple.com/macos/sonoma/

- I own a 2015 15" MBP that I love but yes, sadly, I'll have to upgrade in the next year. I found a refurb MacBook Air on Apple's online store for ~US$1200 that I'm eyeing. Upgrading hardware to stay in sync with software changes is just a part of modern computing. On Windows, a bunch of older but serviceable computers are not usable with Windows 11 so its not just Apple.

- I work as a professional photographer (make my living exclusively from photography) and I use Photoshop, Bridge, and Lightroom Classic every single day. I understand the importance of working tools. Yes, Adobe has problems with bugs. I was part of the pre-release program for Bridge and reported literally hundreds of issues to the developers. But still, I am able to use their software well enough to do my job. And every profession requires people to remain current with their toolset.

- There isn't some grand conspiracy going on. Newer computers and software have new capabilities. If you don't need those (and are fine with potential security problems) then keep using the older system. Nobody will make you upgrade anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer is none of the latest ones out there and yet very powerful for my work, and it let's me update my operating system up to a certain one but not to the latest. I do not understand why Adobe has to make it difficult for users to have to meet certain system requirements and take away the apps that work with older operating systems. You are trying to force me into either a new operating system which I can't upgrade to and this forces me to consider investing in a new computer just so I can meet your requirements AND THIS IS NOT NICE. I do not appreciate this gesture from Adobe. I would like to suggest that Adobe allows flexibility in this since not all of us are looking to have the latest and greatest gadgets in technology all the time but simply to keep using what we own because it still working great. Please allow for apps to work on older operating systems AND BE CONSIDERATE OF YOUR COSTUMERS, remember that it is we the customer who keeps your business alive. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

There are many who feel the same way yo do. I do want to ask--what OS are you running on your mac? There are a few older versions that you can download from www.prodesigntools.com such as 2018 and be able to run on older Macs. Let us know if that is helpful?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you soo much Michelle! Looking into it right now and it does look super helpful! Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ADPN first Adobe has not "taken" anything away. No one is forcing you to upgrade. You are in control. If your Mac cannot support Big Sur or later, then continue on with your current install and be content. I for one have a MBP 2015 running Catalina that is the end of line for that model. I have CC2019 on it and it works for what I need it for.

However, since I do want to run the latest AI features, etc. I invested in a Mac Mini that can support OS and newer software.

As @mglush pointed out PDT has 2019 and older versions available (for now) that you can direct download. They still require an active subscription and the CS versions won't activate without a SN.

Id love for my 2001 car to be electric, but the manufacturer isn't going to support that. Its up to me to invest in a newer model that does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin stohlmeyerAll 2015 MacBook Pro models will run Monterey and Photoshop 25.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if it was a HD space issue or what - but it wont allow it. I know its on the approved list but Im also content keeping it as is. I have two new Macs for the recent items. Rather not suffer with slower processors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kevin! Yeah the thing is that I couldn't find a compatible app version on the creative cloud app to download. Hence the post. But the PDT workaround is a great solution!

Thanks all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin! 

That is a really good analogy.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't need the "latest and greatest gadgets" then just stick with an older version of Photoshop. That seems perfect for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah the thing is that I couldn't find a compatible app version on the creative cloud app to download. Hence the post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fine, but what if I need to re-install the older version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agreed. Why should I have to get a new Mac Pro just to satisfy Creative Cloud? Adobe - make CC compatible with older systems. Many of your customers are running powerful older systems that can operate CC just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not how modern computing works. Microsoft had a TERRIBLE time with people not wanting to upgrade from Windows XP, and that lesson has been very well learned. There have been huge changes on both platforms in the last few years (at the very least, Apple Silicon and Windows 11) which require work to maintain compatibility. Trying to support legacy systems which Apple no longer supports is crazy.

Having said that, the current version of Photoshop still runs fine on my 2015 15" Macbook Pro with Monterey, although much slower than my M1 desktop. Even a current, entry-level M2 Mac mini or Macbook Air is faster than pretty much any Intel Mac.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/G16L7LL/A/refurbished-mac-mini-apple-m2-chip-with-8%E2%80%91core-...

US$1019 with M2, 16GB RAM, 1GB SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been problems with the new Remove Tool not working correctly. The usual fix is to set the Remove Tool Image Processing setting from "Quicker" to "Stable". 

Yesterday, someone reported they fixed that problem upgrading to Ventura. That's why it's "recommended."

If you do not use certain features and they don't interfere with your workflow, you are good for now.

Consider "recommended" a "yellow light", because in some future version you will be locked out of the upgrade if it has what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when I said that this is a warning that a forced upgrade is 'just around the corner' I was absolutely correct, yes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's a warning that your OS/hardware cannot effectively run the latest Ps. You need to check your system requirements. If you can't afford to upgrade and you are getting your work done, you are not forced in any way. Your customers likely don't care what you use as long as you meet deadlines. Adobe is improving their professional grade software and they have to require systems that support it.

CC 2018 could run on this, but not CC 2024

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements/earlier-versions.html

• Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
  • macOS version 10.13 (High Sierra), macOS version 10.12 (Sierra), or Mac OS X version 10.11 (El Capitan)
  • 2 GB or more of RAM (8 GB recommended)
  • 4 GB or more of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system)
  • 1024 x 768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit color and 512 MB or more of dedicated VRAM; 2 GB is recommended*
  • OpenGL 2.0-capable system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines