Exit

saved ppi doesn't stick (mac)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hellow Forum, 

Hey,

When I save a file at 72 ppi in PS and reopen, it reverts back to 300 ppi and the dimensions are changed. I have read through a few discussions to see that if I open the file in preview, the metadata does show that the file is still 72 ppi. How do I make the 72 ppi stick?

Does anyone know why this is happening? 

Also, anyone know where preferences have go to in the 24.1.1 release.

Thx, 

L

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Do you save the file with File > Save, File > Save as, File > Save a copy, File > Save for web, File > Export, or something else?

2. What is the image info before saving? What is the image info after reopening? Please post screen shots of Image > Image size for the two cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried saving the file in all the above options. The image before saving is 300 ppi - 1st image. I change it to 72 (second image) then save. Reopen and it is back to 300  Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 8.42.51 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-02-02 at 8.43.06 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-02-02 at 8.50.16 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't replicate on my Mac. 

Made a new document: 5x7@300 pixels. Save. Open; it is the same in Image Size dialog. 

We need to know more about how you're saving the document and what else may be touching it after a save if anything. 

Of course, that metadata tag is nearly useless. You started and ended up with 1440x576 pixels. That's all that matters for Photoshop and pixel editors. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the suggested - created now. Saved with 300 ppi. Opened, changed to 72 ppi and closed. Reopened and had reverted to 300 ppi. This time it was a tiff file and still the same. 

In terms of how I am saving, I have tried the save as and save a copy routes with the same results. I also tried the Export as and the Export > Save for web. Same result with both jpg and tiff.

HOWEVER - the 72 ppi is retained if I save the file as a png which is not helpful. 

I am grateful for your continued help to get to the bottom of this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly how are you opening the files? Do they open through the Camera Raw dialog (ACR)? Or Lightroom? Or directly into Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files automatically open in Camera Raw whick I cannot change this because (as mentioned) I do not have access to the Preferences options under Photoshop dropdown is missing.  

@PECourtejoie is correct re: similar to a stubborn teacher this is for a call for submissions. 

I'm using GIMP as a workaround and though it works but it is no PS .... which I do not need to explain any further. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that's the explanation. The 300 is set in ACR. You can go into Camera Raw Preferences > File Handling and disable jpeg/TIFF support, then they will open directly in Photoshop (at 72 ppi if you need that).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition, you can change the export settings of Camera Raw clicking on the hyperlink at the bottom center of its interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I figured out that what is 'Settings' in my version of PS is 'Preferences', it worked. Crisis averted.

Thank you @D Fosse 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lamorri wrote:

... I figured out that what is 'Settings' in my version of PS is 'Preferences'...

Can you tell us what version you have?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pretty much everything once called "Preferences" is now called "Settings" under Ventura. 

And oh my dog, it is so awful looking and unintuitive for the OS System Settings. 🥲

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lamorri in Almost every Adobe application, CMD+K (Mac) or Ctrl+K (Win) opens the preferences menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the fact that it is the same file, but the OP might have to provide a file to a ... stubborn... teacher that wants to get the files with XYZ specs, or might need to upload a file to a website that would check that metadata.

Can @Lamorri share a blank file changed to 72ppi to their CC storage: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/share.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried with preference reset what is common solution for all things weird in Photoshop https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is yet another issue I have. The preferences option under Photoshop is missing. 

I have unistalled and reinstalled PS but still preferences is missing. I'm baffled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a question about resetting preferences. The quick and dirty way is to "Reset Preferences on Quit", but that means manually going through your settings to get the workspace back where it was before.

The other method was to drill into the Library folder, move the Preferences folder to  the Desktop. Photoshop rebuilds the Preferences, but you can put the old Preferences folder back, saving you from all the restore work in getting back to the old settings.

Any disadvantage to doing it that way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoryShubert usually recommends second option. I haven't checked but... both ways should do the exact same thing with advantage of second way. Folder can be dragged back to quickly restore previous preferences if that solution does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main reason we suggest the manual method is that the reset of preferences doesn't clear out the possible offending files/folder and the manual does.  Many times a reset can work, but to truly debug what might be going on is to pull all the folders out, then restart and make sure Ps works as expected, then put back folders and restart to find the issue.

Hope that helps answer the question @gener7 

Thank you,

Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you as well, Cory   I've lately had to reconsider the quick reset when a beginner Photoshop user got upset that he had no idea how to restore his workspace after the reset. Granted he took an answer a previous user marked "Correct" two years ago, so I need to take that into consideration going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lamorri wrote:

When I save a file at 72 ppi in PS and reopen, it reverts back to 300 ppi and the dimensions are changed.

Because no one else has said it, the dimensions have not changed. All three screenshots say 1440px x 576px. The pixels per inch (ppi) setting only applies to print.

37307BBF-4E48-4ACA-8C8A-EFDEEC2C78B5.jpeg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lamorri wrote:

When I save a file at 72 ppi in PS and reopen, it reverts back to 300 ppi and the dimensions are changed.

Because no one else has said it, the dimensions have not changed. All three screenshots say 1440px x 576px. The pixels per inch (ppi) setting only applies to print.

37307BBF-4E48-4ACA-8C8A-EFDEEC2C78B5.jpeg

Jane

By @jane-e

Someone did 😉

You started and ended up with 1440x576 pixels. That's all that matters for Photoshop and pixel editors. ”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines