• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling Images with shift no longer works after update (20.0)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to CC 2019, I am not longer able to scale images evenly simply by holding shift.

I went to keyboard shortcuts and found a "scale" shortcut that was unassigned, so i assigned it to "S" as it simply wouldn't let me assign shift:

Capture.JPG

Now it seems to only want to scale evenly and won't let me scale however I want simply by dragging the corner of the image. Sometimes it doesn't go evenly when I transform with Ctrl+T and scales evenly after I press S, but wont let me go back to scaling unevenly.

Any Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Participant , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Proportional scaling (without holding Shift) is now a default. Holding Shift while scaling now behaves in precisely the opposite manner, despite decades of precedent and the fact that every other application uses Shift-drag for proportional scaling.

Why? Who knows. This is easily one of the most unnecessary and counterintuitive changes Adobe has ever made.

Details and instructions for how to disable it are at the link below.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Lots of people reporting this as a bug but it's a new feature. The behaviour in previous versions has now been reversed. Default is now proportional (constrain) - no Shift required. Shift for non-proportional.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

It can be disabled if required (refer "New and enhanced..." link above - steps from that link reproduced below).

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

It's a new feature. The old behaviour has been reversed. Default = proportional (constrain). Shift for non-proportional. Few people see any logic in this change.

Plenty of forum posts on this

CC20 transform tool: Shift doesn't keep Aspect ratio

The new behaviour can be disabled.

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text belo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 481 Replies 481
Enthusiast ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are they taking away functionality? Can't you still do a non-constrained scale by grabbing the relevant side and dragging it?

I think Adobe should be commended for finally admitting that other applications or standards are actually better than what they've been doing. It's just too bad they've abandoned Illustrator, because it desperately needs this realization in a few functions (like being able to select only objects that are fully enclosed by the selection rectangle).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the point - I copy and paste part of an image using the rectangle or even if I draw around a part of an image. the new box created becomes locked with aspect ratio unchangeable.

When I paste it - naturally it becomes a new layer  - but when I want to scale it - I can only do it in an aspect ratio. I want to be able to perhaps just grab the right edge and squeeze it left - it won't let me do that. - which I allowed before. That is a loss of functionality.

They indicated a change to fix this but my Windows 10 does not use that path. So it looks like this function is no longer a tool for me unless you have a fix I could use. Even if I toggle on the switch they say to unlock the aspect ratio nothing happens.

In the old system if I wanted to maintain the aspect ration - I just grabbed a corner of the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, wow, that's not what I expected.

I thought the change was simply that corner-dragging always maintained aspect ratio, unlike before (where you had to hold Shift, which never made sense because Ctrl should "control" the aspect ratio, but I digress...)

But I expected dragging a vertical or horizontal edge to allow you to scale in one dimension.

So I agree with you

Hairbrain54  wrote

In the old system if I wanted to maintain the aspect ration - I just grabbed a corner of the frame.

You sure about that? I'm pretty sure you had to hold Shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming - at least I'm not nuts!

Hopefully the path they told us to use as a fix - which doesn't exist on my PC (windows 10 64 bit) - they have an alternative fix.

Thank you again for your input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DO you need to enable the "View hidden files and folders" option to find the path? Instructions here:

View hidden files and folders in Windows 10

It still doesn't work me, having applied the fix correctly but maybe you'll have more luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you JJ Mack - I tried that and a few more files/folders than normal appeared however none that would match the path I was told to go to setting.

It appears all my Adobe files are under:   Program Files Folder  and also Program Files (x86) - such as this::

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud  with many sub folders underneath but none that drive down to settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you install the 32bit Photoshop? The would be  under Program Files (x86) the  64bit version  under Program Files  these are not hidden.    Your hidden Photoshop user file are  under C:\Users like where my Photoshop user ID preferences folder

"C:\Users\jjmac\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\"

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rebooted my machine - since during this period I also had major windows updates.  I then retraced the step about viewing folders and making sure they are visible - I noticed a toggle switch to show "icons" or something wasn't toggled. I switched it on then Waa-Lah! I noticed the AppData folder was now showing. Before it was disguised as a regular file and I probably never noticed it in the list.

So I went back and followed instructions to add in text file.   and it did work

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. 1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. 2. Type the text below in the text file:

TransformProportionalScale 0
  3. 3. Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder:
  • Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\
  • macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/below

It works now - so I will mark as correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just here to +1 on how outlandish this change is.

As patrick-vici​ has pointed out, there is zero consistency about how shift is applied. Right now, I'm working on a file for a client and am baffled that I need to hold shift when proportionally scaling a smart object but don't hold shift when proportionally scaling text.

I appreciate that requiring shift to proportionally scale has resulted in a generation of skewed images in PowerPoint presentations and it's a behaviour that should have been buried alongside Windows XP, but the change needs to be applied consistently across the entire Adobe CC suite for it to work. Instead, I feel like I've lost a decade of experience inside Photoshop because I'm having to double-check my ability to resize images using the free transform tool.

In some ways, I appreciate the arrogance of not even allowing this change to be switched on and off inside the preferences menu. It's almost as if the Photostop team just assumed that all its users would be stoked with this change — which, I feel like this needs to be repeated, has not even been consistently applied within the one application.

Anyway, I'm off to ask our IT team for permission to edit a system file so I can do my work properly. Cheers mates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file is actually not a system file and is a file that is for you user ID alone it is in your Photoshop User ID Photoshop preferences folder. You are writing file into that folder every time you use Photoshop.   However, it is normally hidden on you for companies like Microsoft and Apple like to hide things from Dumb Users.   If you are not a dumb user set you windows   folder option to display hidden files and folders and create the PSUserConfif.txt you need.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying, JJMack​ — now this has been downgraded from strong inconvenience to a moderate inconvenience, which is the perfect amount of inconvenience!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect--this worked and now Photoshop is scaling like the old days--with the Shift key and the Option key. Great tip, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I've been trying to get used to this change for a few days now. In theory it makes some sense, but in reality it's really problematic -  a lot of other features in photoshop use 'shift' to mean proportional/restricted sizing as opposed to free distort. Take for example the select, shape, brush and line tools. Is Adobe planning to change the default behaviours of some or all of these too? I think not.

It really doesn't make any sense to change this most fundamental of behaviours across the whole app without revisiting at least a few of these other behaviours too.

Please change this behaviour back, or at the very least give us a proper preference to be able to do so within the app. I don't want to hack it using a text file or whatever, I just need this software to work the way I expect it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a vote to stop randomly messing with the interface of this application.

Bring back the days when Photoshop updates brought joy and new features that helped me. Now they only bring pain.

(I knew it, every time, why do I update?? He says to himself as he walks away from the conversation.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did he walk away because update will now be automatically installed.

In my opinion only if large corporation take Adobe to court because of lost productivity that Adobe forced of on their employees will we see Adobe behavior improve.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJ --  I indicated that this issue was solved. (Correct)  -- I see it Is still going on  Do I need to do anything special or are these conversations just spin-off from my original issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah... I think the change has a lot of people confused.

But I watched this video right off the bat to learn about all the updates... and trust me it helped out!

Top 20 NEW Features & Updates EXPLAINED! - Photoshop CC 2019 - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it doesn't in way that Adobe made it. The worst thing t~han changing behaviours used by ages is to making it inconsistent with other functions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The funny thing about it is that people defend that change. Why. Really someone who working years with Adobe made scaling whit frustration and thinking "please change it! I want it different than vectors and other apllications"? Or only talking people working with Photoshop not so much time.

The most problem is for advanced users with over a decade working not only with Photoshop, and others Adobe application. The most powerful thing for workflow was that the functions basically work the same in each app (despite Adobe doesn't make it so easy keeping still some differences).

It is not case that it makes sense or not scaling layers and reshaping vector. It is case for people working for years making scaling intuitive without any thinking about what and how scaling. Scaling is scaling - always the same no matter what you scaling. What was wrong with that? Using scaling was like breathing - never thinking about, just doing it intuitive with keyboard. That the behaviour people learn to use without thinking over years, and scaling is one of the most using function. Not the function which use the only little bit of users that make change maybe for few people.

And as it internet flame come over, what is a problem to make checkbox for legacy scaling, when it is simple code change which can be implemented in Preferences UI. Who wants to be so "modern" with new function please have it, but give people chance to choose the workflow they want. Especially that Adobe let people choose what they want with undo (new or legacy) but doesn't with scaling. It is another proof of inconsistency of Adobe in making software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need a checkbox for legacy transform selection behavior, it's a bit silly that we have to write custom config files to circumvent unnecessary changes like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, it makes no sense to change what already worked well beforehand.

Also doing transforms while holding CTRL now it's a major pain, because it will only follow one axis at time. I second the checkbox for legacy transform behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only issue I have with scaling is there's some flickering of the object being scaled. But its something that not really bugging me too much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The scale feature when transforming vector images and shapes with in Photoshop  2019 behaves in the same manner prior to the updated.  Not sure how I am suppose to get use to the new change if it is not universal when dealing with various layer types within a project file.   Will adobe be updating this?   I will be switching back to photoshop 2018.   This new update is really messing up my workflow.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's pretty clear this 2019 Adobe Cloud update was not ready for the primary users of the product.  As a 20+ year Adobe user I'm not surprised by any company's actions, especially with a near monopoly in the industry.  There's a way to get an answer to difficult questions whenever serve someone the wrong dish.  The masses will complain and b!tch and moan about the product. Adobe is more than aware of this 2019 mayhem and is only using the comments here to fine-tune the product according to the user's needs.  The question was should we take scale away or leave it?  My simple fix was to downgrade to 2017 and save myself the antics.  Great marketing Adobe.  Bad news always yields marketing jargon that's later used to express how great the product is.  Oy Vey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines