• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling Images with shift no longer works after update (20.0)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to CC 2019, I am not longer able to scale images evenly simply by holding shift.

I went to keyboard shortcuts and found a "scale" shortcut that was unassigned, so i assigned it to "S" as it simply wouldn't let me assign shift:

Capture.JPG

Now it seems to only want to scale evenly and won't let me scale however I want simply by dragging the corner of the image. Sometimes it doesn't go evenly when I transform with Ctrl+T and scales evenly after I press S, but wont let me go back to scaling unevenly.

Any Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Participant , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Proportional scaling (without holding Shift) is now a default. Holding Shift while scaling now behaves in precisely the opposite manner, despite decades of precedent and the fact that every other application uses Shift-drag for proportional scaling.

Why? Who knows. This is easily one of the most unnecessary and counterintuitive changes Adobe has ever made.

Details and instructions for how to disable it are at the link below.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Lots of people reporting this as a bug but it's a new feature. The behaviour in previous versions has now been reversed. Default is now proportional (constrain) - no Shift required. Shift for non-proportional.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

It can be disabled if required (refer "New and enhanced..." link above - steps from that link reproduced below).

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

It's a new feature. The old behaviour has been reversed. Default = proportional (constrain). Shift for non-proportional. Few people see any logic in this change.

Plenty of forum posts on this

CC20 transform tool: Shift doesn't keep Aspect ratio

The new behaviour can be disabled.

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text belo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 481 Replies 481
Enthusiast ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making things consistent across applications would mean actually doing something to Illustrator. It has been abandoned for years.

I wonder if they can even compile it anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being I only use Adobe Photoshop I could care less about other Adobe  Products.  It was consistent within Photoshop now it is not.   So inconsistency has now been archived.  Adobe has been able to archive this unremarkable thing.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no other professional product consistent with this BS "Feature" of scaling pixel layers proportionally by default and need to hold Shift for free transform. Not in CC, nor in any other software type. Not a single one. But maybe in india though?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, Adobe’s batting 1000 in the WE‘VE COMPLETELY MESSED STUFF UP World Software Series. After the boneheaded change to the shift-constrain convention in the CC 2019 update, I got an email from Adobe Creative Cloud tonight: ‘Let us know how you work, and get a chance to win FREE Creative Cloud for a year!’

But the link takes you to a SurveyMonkey “Page Not Found” error. I guess ALL of Adobe’s ‘quality control’ people are at a management conference. =8-0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha, I got the same survey email with the same broken link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe: In what world is changing a decades-old tool and key combination a "feature"? Are you determined to have millions of design and photographic professionals pull out what remains of our graying hair?! For scaling, shift-drag scale has worked just fine for many years and now you had to change it.  Not cool. 

Why don't you spend your time getting your core programs like Adobe Bridge to just work instead of shipping broken products from the get-go (see 'thumbnails don't display in Bridge 2019).

PLEASE BRING BACK THE OLD SHIFT-SCALE TOOL. Or give us a way to select.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This change is beyond stupid. Needs to be put back the way it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I was going crazy– getting progressively more and more frustrated trying to constrain and scale images holding down the shift key. Going to the next stage, anger, at my wireless keyboard for apparently not working. Then it was onto confusion at why the image was constrained without holding down the shift key and then wasting 20 minutes looking through the application's drop-down menus trying to figure out where the button was to switch it back. Finally, after no luck in finding an answer, I do a search on Adobe forums, discover this thread and am now at the stage, THOROUGHLY PISSED at Adobe.

STOP TINKERING WITH THE APPLICATIONS! Adobe, you're better than this. Really think about these idiotic decisions– how they affect the users, especially since we're RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of working with the current version.

It's enough to have to deal with all of the icon changes, tool locations, collapsable windows and having to go through seemingly infinite What's New/How To videos that appear over nearly everything. Maybe next time ASK the community.

CHANGE IT BACK! YOU'RE F-ing with people's workflow!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm OK with the basic default is  proportional, and Shift to change aspect ratio, but it is the other FT shortcuts that I am having trouble getting to grips with.   The only time I right click within an FT is if I want to Warp.  Otherwise I just Ctrl dragged a corner or middle handle.  Least ways I 'think' that's what I used to do, but like everyone else in this thread, it was automatic, and done without thinking about it, so I am not 100% sure I am remembering it correctly.

Either way, I am finding the new shortcut behavour highly non-intuitive.

We used to be able to Ctrl (Cmd) drag a corner handle in any direction, and the opposite two sides would remain locked.

Now we can only drag perpendicular to one side of the canvas, but not both adjacent sides in one operation.

I guess it is logical that adding the Shift key reverts to the old way.

The same thing applies when Ctrl dragging a middle handle.  We get the helpful left right arrow to indicate what way we can drag.  Adding Shift makes the tiny black arrows go away, and we can drag in any direction.

In all cases add the Alt (Opt) key mirrors the distortion around the centre axis.

In actual fact, I have helped clarify this for myself by making this post, and I think I am now comfortable with it.  I am definitely getting messed up with it still working the old way with Shape layers, and I got a bit grumbly using Perspective Crop earlier today, but I think I am going to be able to go with it.\

Incidentally, if you noticed my cursor icons are a bit clunky, it's because it is a bugger trying to grab the screen shots with Ctrl held down, so I had to fake the cursor icons and overlay them.

[EDIT]  I do like the information pop-ups.  I can't remember if they are new or not.  That is to say, I don't remember them prior to this version, but don't usually take this much time over an FT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heard in an Update review YouTube video (unofficial) that you could change the behaviour back in prefs.

Is that not true?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

designu46483552  wrote

I heard in an Update review YouTube video (unofficial) that you could change the behaviour back in prefs.

Is that not true?

Not in Preferences, but you can add a line to PSUserConfig.txt.  

See John's 'Correct Answer' at the beginning of this thread

SCALE 2019 VERSION

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imagine that most often people want to constrain the scaling of objects and so in someone's mind it made sense to make that the default action with a key to modify the behaviour.  And I would be 'on board' with that idea except that it is reversed when you want to create a shape or use the marquee tool.  Keep it consistent for heavens sakes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, Can you please just make this the way it was before? This is the worst and it really throws me off.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I need to find the center point of an image file, or selection, I typically select all, invoke transform dialog, then drag/snap guides to x or y center as needed. But now that "switching tools" exits transform mode, I can no longer drag a guide to the center point. Is there no way to drag new guides without exiting the Transform dialog?

Edit: OK, I can create a point or line with the pen tool -in another document, then paste it into the center of my working file, but the is VERY awkward. It is easy enough to hit "enter" or "return" to commit Transformations. I see no advantage in the new "switch  tool" completion action.

I see no advantage to many of the new UI changes, and the "fix" to reverting to previous operation seems wrong. I'm guessing there may be another way to determine & set guides to image center points, but nothing comes to mind at the moment.

Please Adobe, expand your Alpha & Beta testing before making surprise UI alts. ( I was an Alpha & Beta tester for 1.0, and a few subsequent releases)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Press 'Ctrl r' (to show rules) then while transforming hold 'Ctrl' for ability to drag guides from rulers wihout auto-commiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That works, except on a Mac it's "Command-Drag" guides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's such a Dumb change, no reason what so ever to do that, not to mention it only applies to Photoshop not the rest of the apps, Illustrator for example is still the old way...

Sounds like Adobe designers have been hanging around too much with apple designers...

Remove the headphones from iPhone, send them the new headphones with it (fine) but new MacBook pro leave the headphones so they can't use their iPhone headphones with their new Macs... WTF???

Same for Adobe, lets invert the UI so people have to delete from their brains holding the shift key to resize (hard enough when you are using the software for more than 20 yaars - yes i'm that old) But just do it on one App so it really fks with their brains...

Nice one Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. Been using PS since v5. And this morning I'm thinking, what the F am I doing wrong!

Such a stupid, pointless change that adds nothing but takes away something people like you and I have learnt over literally decades.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it also a new feature that I can't choose to anchor the scaling? Oh, I see, I have to turn that on now? Why? They took the check box from Acrobat and put it here! I've been tearing my hair out. Why mess with something that is standard? That's not an improvement!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been scaling images in Photoshop for almost 20 years. Now it will take me another 10 years to unlearn holding shift to scale images proportionally. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an idea, let's make all drivers in the US start driving on the left side of the road!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To go along with that change have Adobe swap left and right mouse button functions.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And make all right handed people use their left hands!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines