• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 159 - Going up in the world!

Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

First of all thanks to @jane-e and @Trevor.Dennis for bringing us the last two challenges, also to all those who took part in them.

I got the idea for this week's starter image when thinking about the last perspective challenge. So I bring you this scene of an empty lift (elevator for my friends over the Atlantic). What can you now do with it?

The “rules”:

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to have to add this last one but it has come to light that some of the starter images have been taken (not by our regular participants) for other uses without permission.

To download the image below at full size, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW159_Going_Up.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 103 Replies 103
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your full of creative ideas @Trevor.Dennis. Love your work. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Artist: Kevin Macleod; Song: Local Forecast - Elevator Music

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like it Jain.  I believe you said that you did the last video you put up with Photoshop, so it has plenty of options if you have some imagination.  I don't know for sure, but I think that if you upload a video to YouTube and make it private, you can still embed it in a forum post.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

she can embed it but no one will watch it 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Trevor! Yes, it's all mashed-up in Photoshop, God help me. I don't want a YouTube channel, but thanks for the suggestion. Is it a problem to view by just clicking on the attachment? Maybe I shouldn't submit videos here? Just let me know... (And was it that bad, @Ussnorway, lol?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J E L 

I loved it Jain ❤️ (and watched it six times!) The attachment is a non-issue for me. 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect Graham (Ussnorway) was referencing that embedding a video that has been marked as private will not be visible other users, only you would see it.

I like it Jain, it's nice to see video here.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will admit to a wee double take when I first read Graham's comment, but I am sure Dave is right and that he was referring to the limited views the video might get if it can only be viewed on the Adobe forums.  The thread count is pushing 800 now, and while most of those will be repeat visits, a lot of people enjoy the SFTW thread content.  

A major factor in participating in SFTW is facing new challenges and learning from them.  I know I have added a good few Photoshop skills to my toolkit, and look at how amazing Dave's renders are now.

I absolutely agree that videos are appropriate for SFTW threads — especially if they are made with Photoshop.  But even if they are not made with Photoshop, we are still going to have fun and enjoy watching them.  The first thing I am going to do when we LinkedIn Learning back is make the effort to learn Animate.  Frame animations are a total nightmare when they have multiple moving elements.  I decided to make the red floor level dots brighter after I downsized my Elevator to Hell animation, and somehow Transformed the left door layers.  Instead of going back to the last saved version I tried to fix it, and ended up taking a good two hours doing so.  Animate works more like video layers and adding content does not affect what has already been done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it from Adobe HQ?

SFTW159_Going_Up-out.jpg

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the Severance reference. Great show!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mind the step..........

SFTW159_Going_Up2.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This brings back memories of a lifetime ago when I rode on the top of the elevator in the open shaft. Nicely done, @davescm .

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH MY GOSH, Jane!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Growing up in the world

Click/RightClick to get closer, and click again to get closer still, or Click Here to see in Chrome 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know bamboo grows fast but I wonder how long it took to reach the third floor ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, the big ones of the "that is not a bamboo, this is a bamboo" kind can grow up to 3 feet a day, and up to about 100 feet in total, so depending on storey height a bamboo could pass the 1st floor after 2 days, the 5th floor after 6 - 7 days, and the 9th floor after 11 days, corresponding to the floor indicator, which also indicates how far up we are in SFTWs.

For this place, it might have been more suitable with square bamboos. In recent times different folk have tried to develop them for at least some 50 years, where I remember Japanese attempts to develop it on a large scale for more convenient construction, but I should be surprised if no Japanese or Chinese had tried it hundreds (or thousands) of years before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some nice touches there Trevor - I particularly like the "sound of the piano not playing" and the wanted poster.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, Trevor, it seems they've been looking for Calamity Jane since April 2020! The spittoon fits the scene nicely.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/something-for-the-weekend-part-89-loc...

The Sound of the Piano Not Playing: that's a Simon and Garfunkel song, right?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, I'd forgotten the earlier wanted poster.  It's interesting that I found the same, or very similar, body for Calamity, even if the hat feather is on the other side.   Hang on. What am I talking about?  I've just remembered I flipped the body to match the picture I had of you.  It's a bugger getting old when you can't remember what you did 12 hours ago.

The piano thing was a play on the Old West saloon bar meme that says the piano stops playing when the outlaw pushes through the swing doors but I've now spoiled that gag by explaining it. 😞   I was smuggly pleased with the 'Man with no legs' lable.  I'd set mnyy heart on a Clint Eastwood cowboy, but couldn't find a full length picture.  So I was going to add the shins and feet from another picture.  Then I thought if he was called 'The man with no name' in Dollar movies (I think that picture comes from 'A Fist Full of Dollars' movie, then I could play on that and save some work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, "Diabolical Dave" wasn't in the first poster and the reward for me was higher then. (I'm worth it!) I couldn't help but think of Sounds of Silence by S & G even though I knew that wasn't what you meant.

I think you've got the American Wild West spot on, but didn't @J E L write a book on it?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you never saw this 1999 movie, you probably won't get it.  But that's OK.  😁

image.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very arty Nancy.

'There is truth, and there are lies, and art always tells the truth.

Even when it's lying.'

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to look it up and I don't think I've seen it. I'll have to put that right 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100 SFTWs after SFTW 59 - A room with a view

Click/RightClick to get closer, and Click again to get closer still, or Click Here to see in Chrome 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines