• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 200 - Celebration cake.

Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It finally came around - this week we have the 200th edition of Something for the Weekend!

To celebrate I though we should share a cake. The cake is baked and iced in the picture below but it needs decorating, and that's where you come in.

The “rules”:

• Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.
  • Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum “regulars”.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!
  • The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasise this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW200Cake.jpg

When posting back your image — please use the blue reply button in this first post and use the 'Insert Photos' icon at the top of the reply box. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry, then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

TOPICS
Experiment

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

We had to squeeze anotheer four candles on the baseboard, because they'd have spoiled the pattern on top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, I dread the meltdown at the burnout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll need the fire brigade out Trevor. A nice idea and nicely done.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking as someone who no longer puts too many candles on a cake, Trevor, lighting all those candles is quite a challenge.

• You have to start on the inside and work your way out
  • It gets really, really, really hot 
  • Matches won't work; they burn out too quickly — you need a candle
  • When you think you are close to done, the inner candles start burning out.

I love your image, but IRL, you could never get that many candles lit at once. Well, maybe you could, Trevor, but I can't!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, I am convinced that Trevor can light them all at once using a blowlamp, a flame cutter, or a flame thrower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there are exactly 200 candles in total?

As others have said - well done in getting them lit so evenly 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I love this image that you baked for us to celebrate 200 weekends of challenges and fun and friendship as we have shared techniques and stories over the years.

SFTW200Cake JE01.jpg

Happy Halloween to all!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jane. We'll done getting both the Halloween theme as well as the binary number for the challenge into your image.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I'd forgotten about that Jane.  That should generate some more ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice touches, Jane! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice work Jane.

I too enjoy the stories and friendly community that has come from this weekly/fortnightly space. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW-1.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, that's very thoughtful as well as very clever — from 001 to 200!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, @Trevor.Dennis, I thought of doing a slide show of all 200 images from the challenge on top of the cake like this. Nice job!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is clever Trevor 🙂 Congratulations should go to all who have taken part though. We would not have reached 200 without all the fantaistic ideas and images that are posted in response to the challenges.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, what surprised me about this upload is that the first SFTW challenge was that beach scene.  I remember it vividly, and I'd have bet money that it was far more recent.  I love how humble you are about some truly amazing renders, but I think you have enjoyed learning Blender and Substance so thoroughly.  I have learned so many new things from these challenges.  We get an idea and have to work out how to realize it, and that has often involved completely new ways of using Photoshop.

I was particularly impressed by MAX this year, and not just by the Ai content — although Ai may be involved in more ways than we realize.  So I am hoping to expand my use of other Adobe apps.  I think fully 30% of the comments with the Adobe Express Character Animator integration asked wanted the ability to use our own images in Character Animator, although I have found at least one that could be masked onto a reasonably clean background image.  There's lots of fun things coming, and a lot of them are already here.  Sil has helped SFTW expand it's regular uploaders by including it Hub challenges, which is very welcome.

Hey!  I've just had an idea for another SFTW 200 upload . 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well done Trevor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has a tenuous link to this week's SFTW thread other than I called the file 'Dave's Reward' in this thread.  It was 20 minutes of my life that I feel compelled to share.  BTW  The rain is one of the Parametric Filters.  There are one or two genuinely useful effects in the PFs.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

I trust the icing is based on sugar (or we may have fewer entries than expected)?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-67067171

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now there's a dark tale for Halloween. Sweets anyone ? 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy Birthday Something for the Weekend.
And congratulations Dave for creating this and keeping it going.

Thanks to Firefly for text effects.

SFTW200Cake_DU.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW 21, 27, 148, 198

Very good Dean!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've squeezed a few in there Dean. Bonus points forthcoming 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1-CAKE-RS.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines