• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 46 - Get it off your chest!

Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We had a great response to last week's waterfall challenge, thanks to all that took part.  Regulars to "Something for the weekend" will know that sometimes we start with a scene and sometimes with an object. Well, given that last few challenges have been scenes, I thought this time we should start with an object. So I bring you this old chest.

What can you do with the chest to incorporate it into an image that tells us a story? Will you tell us the secrets it keeps, show us who used it, or will you use it for something else entirely?

As always, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy - come and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW46Chest.jpg

Enjoy the weekend.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guide ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here I was certain I wasn't going to be able to come up with anything for this one.

And just because I haven't said it outright yet; thank you for coming up with these. They are loads of fun.

Chest 01.jpg

--OB

Edited to update the picture. I found an out of place shadow in my original

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I love it Bob. The chest fits into that scene perfectly.

I enjoy coming up with the SFTW challenges particularly those, like this one, that give me a bit of practise in 3D.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

I enjoy coming up with the SFTW challenges particularly those, like this one, that give me a bit of practise in 3D.

And yet you found a rather clever way to use 3D with the last photo, Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it turns out I had TWO ideas this week. The second somewhat more peaceful than the first...

Fish 02.jpg

-- OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your definitely leading the way this weekend Bob. The cat is a very nice touch and turns it into a pic that tells a story.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW46Blink_006.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerry - That reminds me of those Russian dolls

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KJerryK  wrote

SFTW46Blink_006.gif

Jerry, did you construct the open lid in Photoshop?

I wasted a lot of time trying, but my results were miserable.  If you used another App I won't have to blame myself anymore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rista12  wrote

Jerry, did you construct the open lid in Photoshop?

I did use Photoshop. I took the one visible end of the lid, doubled it and then copied some of the wood and metal straps of the chest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only one more day to hide

SFTW46Turkey.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KJerryK  wr

I did use Photoshop. I took the one visible end of the lid, doubled it and then copied some of the wood and metal straps of the chest.

Thanks, Jerry.  Basically that's what I tried, but I could not get the inside to look hollow.  At least my approach wasn't entirely wrong.  Someday I'll learn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

Someday I'll learn

I failed with my attempt, too, Rista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theres no such thing as failing at being creative. Well done for the attempts. You should be proud of yourself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 11:30PM on Thursday here, as I type this, so I'll consider this squeezed into this week by the skin of my teeth.  I'm calling it 'Buried Treasure', because our Dave is obviously a bit of a treasure.    As some of you have discovered, it was not possible to warp the lid to correct perspective when open, so the lid, and other revealed areas are illustration using some textures borrowed from the original, and some fractal noise like Render Clouds & Fibers, but some of it worked better than others.

In case no one has noticed, I a Lazy Nezumi Pro Fan-Boy, and its Vanishing Lines preset was a huge help in rebuilding the box with decent perspective.

Note, I firmed up the red guide lines for this screen shot.  The arrows just helped with the lid hoops — I didn't go crazy with them as it has taken a few days on and off, so a lot of it is freehand using the red guides for position.  It has 70 layers (including the exploded Smart Objects) and the construction lines.  (72 with the treasure and Dave's head)

[EDIT]  I have a feeling that Green Shot clashes with LNP Vanishing Lines.  Some times it becomes impossible to pick up the alignment handles.  I've had it happen before, but didn't work out exactly what was causing it.  This time I closed processes one by one, and 'I think' that Green Shot was the culprit.  I'll get onto to Guillaume and see if he knows what is going on.

[EDIT 2]  I've  heard back from Guillaume (of LNP) and he agreed that Green Shot is the likely cause.  He suggests toggling Overlay off and on again.  Don't forget. It needs to be turned on to carry on using it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

It's 11:30PM on Thursday here, as I type this, so I'll consider this squeezed into this week by the skin of my teeth.  I'm calling it 'Buried Treasure', because our Dave is obviously a bit of a treasure.   

Well done, Trevor, and it’s only 5:45 AM EST and 2:45 AM PST on Thursday (Thanksgiving), so you are way ahead of Friday imho!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor this is great use of tools. Love those guides. Are you an architect by night lol.

Your last pic is almost like that box was sitting in your garage and you were physically working on it.

Well done man. I love it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice job Trevor - it's good to share how things were done.

Jerry - very topical - I suspect those Turkey's may have gone now though

Thanks to all who took part this week. I'll post a new one tomorrow.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave how about a bit of a challenge for next week. Will leave it to u

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some inspiration for future SFTWs

In Pictures: The Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2018 - BBC News

Nooooooo!

Shocked squirrel

Kung fu Monkey

Two monkeys fighting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hahaha that's awesome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW46.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats cool Ged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - lots of entries today!

USSNorway - bonus points for incorporating SFTW challenge number 2 !

Dean - a jelly bean chest - don't let the kids know. Well done with your first animated GIF!

Jerry - Captain Jack's gold. It's a nice idea to tip up the chest- will he scoop the gold up though?

Ged - a surreal entry that reminds me of the early Windows XP wallpaper. I like the way you have used teh chest as a barn/house

Mo - very dark - we should indeed of had that into our Halloween challenge a couple of weeks ago

Mo, the sand at the bottom of the chest is just a mask on the chest itself.  The dragged sand was done with the clone stamp - just stamping in flat sand to cover up the ridges - then a curve to darken it slightly.

Great ideas so far. All are welcome to takle part - come in and have a go

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm​ Nice use of the clone stamp. Love it. Very believable.

If I may offer some critique I would have added a slight curve and saturation layer to the chest to make it seamless.

Beside that...excellent

Chest previs  guy.png

Thought I would show you one of the many elements of my artwork (the figure inside the chest)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines