• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Still problems with glitches when working under layers in ‘colour’ ‘multiply’ etc mode

Contributor ,
May 16, 2024 May 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community.

Since the update to PSD 24.xx, I have been struggling with glitches that occur when working under layers that are set to ‘Colour’, ‘Multiply’ etc. mode.

This problem can be reproduced (see video with example layer in ‘Colour’ mode). It can also suddenly disappear, but will certainly reappear.

Since I have now even changed the operating system (previously I had the problem with different MacOS computers and systems) and the problem still persists, I assume that it is a fundamental bug of Photoshop and that it has nothing to do with my computer constellation. Hence this new post.

What has already been checked and undertaken since mid-2023, unfortunately unsuccessfully, with the help of @CoryShubert and others, see posts:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/glitches-beim-zeichnen-oder-verschieb...

and

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/artifacts-when-drawing-in-folders-und...

A limited workaround thankfully came from @Doppeljochen :

If you switch the file to 16 bit mode, the error does not occur.

However, there are other processing limitations in 16-bit mode, so this can only be a temporary solution.

I think the problem has already been reported to Adobe. I cannot say whether it has been considered and dealt with. However, it would be great if someone would take care of the problem and solve it.

After all, the layer modes are a great and essential invention and peculiarity of Photoshop with which I have always been able to work flawlessly for many years - especially under these modes. Surely this should be possible again in the future without errors?

What do you think about? Greetings, Hubertus

System and program version information:

Photoshop 2024 Version 25.7

Windows 11 pro (23H2)

AMD Rysen 9 79503D 16Core 4.20GHz

128 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 24GB VRAM (TUF-RTX4090-OG)

Studio Treiber 552.22 (5/24)

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@HubertusausBerlin can you upgrade one of your Macs to Ventura or Sonoma and see if the problem persists? Big Sur is not recommended for 25.9 and Mac GPU updates are tied to the OS updates. There were numerous GPU reported issues with Monterey that Ventura resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Kevin Stohlmeyer

Thanks for your feedback.

... ah - sorry - that was just a mistake in the description - I've been on Sonoma 14.5 on my IMac for a while and have corrected that above (but as described, the problems already started under Big Sur and PSD 24.XX)

Greetings, Hubertus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 28, 2024 Jul 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Communinity, dear Adobe experts & employees

The bug with the glitches under layers in certain modes such as -colour- or -multiply- is still present and unfortunately annoying again and again.

After I had the bug for the first time under PSD 24.XX on my iMacs (MacOS Big Sur up to Mac OS 14.5 Sonoma / AMD Radeon Pro 580X 8GB / 64 GB DDR4), it persisted from the beginning even after I switched to a PC with Windows 11Pro.

Even with the new Photoshop version 25.11, nothing has changed (see video):

Here you can also see that the glitches when moving disappear:
->  if you change the position of the -tone value correction- adjustment layer
->  if you change the document mode to 16 bit

To download and try it out:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/nt5dr64jim75t5vxbkmwq/Glitches-07_2024.psd?rlkey=e3qz8g9r7wdi7ei4u1a6...

As you can see in the new test, glitches (in this case a glitch) occur as soon as you move something under a layer in -colour- mode (the same also applies to -multiply-, -copy into each other- and some others) or paint with the pen (see older videos).

There has already been a lot of feedback on this (especially with thanks from: @Ged_Traynor, @c.pfaffenbichler, @Doppeljochen, @Kevin Stohlmeyer), but no solution - just perplexity. Especially as the problem does not occur for all users.

The last suspicion that it might have to do with fonts or font management has unfortunately also proved to be a dead end, as you can see above (no font layer + I have now also removed all post-installed fonts from the system, and now manage a few with a font management tool).

It is clear that the glitches must have something to do with the graphics card (if you switch off support, the glitches don't appear either).

However, everything is fine with the graphics card. And the fact that the same glitches also appeared on other systems with other graphics cards and other drives) suggests that there must be something fundamental in Photoshop itself in the way it handles the calculation of certain layer modes, or rather in the way it involves the graphics card (or certain models, with certain features?

Since I literally didn't have these glitches for decades with Photoshop up to version 24.XX and was often able to use the wonderful functions of the layer modes such as -colour-, I don't want to give up hope that I will be able to use them again at some point without problems.

I therefore urgently request a review by Adobe employees and look forward to further information.

If other users like @Doppeljochen have similar problems, please let me know! Perhaps there are similarities in the device constellation that can help...

Thanks a lot + Greetings, Hubertus

Current system information:

Windows 11 pro (23H2)

Photoshop 2024 version 25.11

AMD Rysen 9 79503D 16Core 4.20GHz
64 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 24GB VRAM (TUF-RTX4090-OG)
Studio driver 560.70 (7/24)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines