• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to recreate a smudge jitter effect from years ago - help

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am looking back at some old work I made in 2016 and I remember using the smudge tool to achieve these semi-transparent 'clones' of the object I was smudging. I've played around with strength jitter and spacing, but I'm unable to recreate the clean, spaced out smudges that replicate the object (but faded). In the upper left I recreate parts of the figure with generous spacing, and then towards the middle I have a few faded copies of the blue diamond illustration.

I'm attaching the images with arrows pointing to the effects I want to recreate and also the failed attempt to recreate it (the ring on the bottom right). Any help would be appreciated, even if it's using another tool. I would prefer to use the smudge tool so I can "paint" around with this effect. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Broderick30478794x9ys the first step would be to use the clone stamp tool at a lesser opacity to duplicate that image as a repeat, then smudge the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin stohlmeyer ah ok but I specifically did this using just a smugle tool. Clone stamping and then smudging takes out the 'painterly' process I'm going for. Too labor intensive. 

Does anyone know what settings to apply to the smudge tool brush settings to get the desired affect? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really struggling to think how that could have been done with the Smudge tool.  Assuming the original is the lowermost object, then how did the ghosted copies get behind the original?  To drag the object and maintain its outline you'd need to set the Smudge tool to 100%, and that would move the original and not copy it.  Alt smudge just leaves a dark 'smudge'

image.png

Was the blue shape on its own layer or baked into the background?  Either way, using Sample All Layers would not change what I said above.  

I am going to guess that this is how it was done.

I selected the original shape and inverted the selection.

Then used the clone tool set to 50% opacity.

I did the top left ghost first, which repeated the dark yellow background to the right of that ghost.

Then reset the clone tool offset and copied both of the shapes on the left. 

The selection was maintained right through the process.

image.png

Does that sound plausable?  I honestly don't think it could have been done with the smudge tool,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trevor.Dennis Ok thanks! yeah this was done in 2016, I'm probably off about the diamond. But what about the other figure on the top left, that seems like it could've been done with smudge? Basically what I want to do with the smudgle tool is get really spaced out smudges so they aren't all blended together - like a ghosting effect (is that the right term?). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Broderick30478794x9ys the smudge tool cannot make copies like you are seeing.

This is an example of the smudge tool on an object using various brush controls including spacing and scattering. As you can see the result are a smudged image, not a ghosted copy.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1699278128180.png

However using the clone stamp tool you can create similar effects to what you are showing:

kevinstohlmeyer_1-1699278258367.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trevor.Dennis and @kevin stohlmeyer Thanks for your replies. I distinctly remember using something that was 'fast'. I know my style and I'm too lazy on this project (check it out if you want by the way, I am pretty sure it's the largest single artwork on instagram, just one connected 1200 row thing: www.instagram.com/infinite_canvas) to clone stamp like that. 

There must be some way in photoshop to "draw out copies" of an image? Or is there a way to use the clone stamp in this way? Sorry if I'm not articulating myself perfectly here, I haven't ever tried to describe my process like this before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin stohlmeyer hey I have been playing with this a bit more and in a way I can get some of the effect, but I can't control it - I think it might be the right direction though, hoping someone with more expertise can help. Referencing this post: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/smudging-jitter-tool/m-p/9497954

@Trevor.Dennis it would also seem that this method would make it possible to duplicate parts of that diamond drawing in the image without using the clone stamp? I was just fiddling around in photoshop with an image and you see I'm getting closer (using just smudge tool) (attaching image). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK the smudge tool will only move pixels, and not copy them.  I even tried adding the Alt/Opt key as a modifier, (try it yourself).  With careful control of the brush size with a fully soft preset, and careful control of the start position of the stroke, I could get a sort of ghost effect, but the ghost is always on top of the copied pixels, and never underneath.  

Ah HAH!!  I've cracked it.  You have to look at it back to front, so the lower right ghost was the original.

The smudge tool preset was fully soft and about twice the size of the selection. Strength was 100%.

I made a selection that encompassed the original, and dragged up and left, but reversed the stroke about half way.

I am going to have to do this again to be sure I have this right

image.png

I am not entirely confident I can do this again, but this is my starting point

image.png

Hmmm it wasn't working, but then I remembered I gave the selection a hefty feather.

image.png

Try again.  I think I should have used a larger brush size for the smudge tool.  You can just about see where I finished the stroke before reversing it.

image.png

It is very sensitive about the selection size and where you start the smudge too stroke.  It was interesting trying to work this out, but the bottom line is that there is an easier and more consitant way to the end result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trevor.Dennis awesome going to try this tomorrow and report back! appreciate your time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been able to try this yet because my uni mysteriously lost all professors access to adobe suite, hopefully fixed soon! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't seem to work for me but I may not be working with the right brush settings or something like that. Regardless, I appreciate your time! I know whatever I was doing it would've been fast, so I wouldn't have been selecting and then going back to a smudge like that. It was so long ago I just don't know what I did 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't remember myself now, but looking at the shape of the selection, I must have given it a hefty feather.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines