Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

working with layers

Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm attaching to pictures of the work I'm doing with a photo in photoshop.  Now I need to to airbrush, and also do some cloning but I don't know how to create a new layer that would allow to do what I want on top of everything I've done so far.  I need help please

IMG_6589.JPGIMG_6588.JPG

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Create blank layer and move it on top of Layer's stack. Just click and drag it on top. Use Clone Stamp and ensure that Sample in the Options bar is set to All Layers as shown on screenshot below.

all layers mode for clone stamp tool.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create blank layer and move it on top of Layer's stack. Just click and drag it on top. Use Clone Stamp and ensure that Sample in the Options bar is set to All Layers as shown on screenshot below.

all layers mode for clone stamp tool.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I just tried it and it works.  

If I want to do something different, then I should create another blank layer on top of the other blank layer, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I told you in my previous reply, I did what you recommended to do, to create a blank layer to use for cloning, and it worked.  However, I just created a new blank layer on top of the other blank layer to do skin smoothing in the Neural Filter in the Filter's menu.  As you can see in the attached picture, it couldn't be completed because the selected area is empy.  Any tips, please.IMG_6596.jpgIMG_6597.JPGIMG_6598 2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to apply filter to entire composition you have several options: one is to select top most visible layer content then press Ctrl + Shift + Alt + E. This will create merged layer but will leave all layers in the stack intact so you can go back and change them later. Change to layers beneath will not update merged layer created using shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will definetely try to do it later, and tell you if it worked.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason it didn't work for me. If you look at the pictures I sent you, which would be the top most visible layer you see that I should choose.  

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create blank new layer then move it on the top of Layers stack, above any group and layer. Ensure you have English keyboard as input, press Ctrl + Alt + Shift + E. It will create merged layer, nothing will visually change on your screen, only in the Layers panel. Apply filters to that layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response, for your patience.  I really appreciate it.

I just tried again.  

I  created a blank layer,  moved it to the top, pressed Ctrl Alt Shift E on my English keyboard.  By doing this, I'm able to work with the toolbar, but can't apply any filter, for example the liquify option in the filter's menu.  I get a message that tells that it can't be done because it's an empty layer.  Please look at the pictures below.IMG_6605.jpgIMG_6598.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something is wrong with keyboard shortcut at your end, it is not creating merged layer for some reason. Are you pressing all mentioned keys simultaneously?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried pressing them all simultaneously.  Can you show a picture of how the layer it's supposed look? 

I attaching a picture of my keyboard.IMG_6606.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just made it work.  I pressed Command + Option + Shift + E.  I didn't use control this time.

I might ask you more if I need help, if you don't mind.Thank you very much for your help.IMG_6608.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, if you are on Mac then Command instead of Control. I didnt know you have and Control on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bojan Živković wrote:

If you want to apply filter to entire composition you have several options: one is to select top most visible layer content then press Ctrl + Shift + Alt + E. This will create merged layer but will leave all layers in the stack intact so you can go back and change them later. Change to layers beneath will not update merged layer created using shortcut.

Or convert all the Layers together to one Smart Object and Apply a Smart Filter to that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will try that as well C.pfaffenbicler.

Thank you Bojan and Pfaffenbichler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Perhaps you can help me wih another issue please.

IMG_6589.JPGIMG_6588.JPG

I'm attaching to pictures of the work I'm doing with a photo in photoshop.  Now I need to to airbrush, and also do some cloning but I don't know how to create a new layer that would allow to do what I want on top of everything I've done so far.  I need help please

[Please post once, not three times. I've merged two of your posts that had replies;
a third was locked by another moderator.]

[Also, please use the link @c.pfaffenbichler gave you several times to take proper screenshots:

https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/mac.html]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer > New > Layer (there is also a button the the Layers Panel)

But the Tools need to be set accordingly (in the Options Bar). 

So the Clone Stamp Tool for example to »Sample: Current & Below«. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines