• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to update/edit brush presets

Enthusiast ,
Jun 30, 2011 Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a no-brainer that should make its way ASAP into 13.

Provide users with a way of tweaking their brush settings and then SAVING OVER an existing brush preset, rather than having to create a new one.

The brush preset system that has been in place since 5 is a broken user experience. You always create a "throwaway" brush (tip) when you Define Brush Preset, and then you customize its settings and create a New Brush. Then, if you don't like those settings and want to improve them, you are stuck having to create yet another brush preset, and eventually deleting the others.

Come on guys, we need something just a little more polished. It's been over ten years now. Fix some basic stuff before launching into crazy new directions like 3D.

For the most intuitive user experience, the workflow should be revised.

Creating brushes should be a two-step process:
1. create a "brush tip" - these are the sampled pixels only, with no Brush configuration data attached
2. create a "brush" - by selecting a brush tip and then setting your options.

If you then want to edit an existing preset and save over it, why not present us with familiar options like Save and Save As? Put a little "save" icon and a "clone" icon in the Brushes palette. Let us know when we're editing an existing brush preset, and put the title of the brush preset in the palette. Basic basic stuff.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
62 Comments
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just started to use Photoshop and I'm constantly trying to tweak my presets as I learn but instead of tweaking them I have to recreate them and remember all the settings I set in the first place.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Krita manages to do it....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use brushbox to sort brushes in to various categories - which is preferable to the native version.  
 But I would love an 'update brush preset' button and a way to save a set of brush settings to apply to newly created brushes. I have lots of brushes created from images that share the same spacing, dynamics etc.  Would be good to have an 'apply saved set' to new brush option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a nice set for spider web brushes, but with the inverse colors I need. >.< Would be nice to doubleclick on a brush, make edits (eg: invert) and save, as on library items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't agree more - much needed feature - its so frustrating having to make a NEW BRUSH everytime you change a setting in a custom brush. Just like we can update layercomps ? Come on Adobe - we got the new brush preset manager - this needs a serious overhaul. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8 years later and here we are, still waiting on the most basic of functionalities.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I would love a way to visually tag favourite Brush presets, much like the way we can already select colours to tag a Layer or Layer Group.  I really like Kyles brush groups and it would be awesome to tag my favourites wiithin these groups rather than duplicating them into a custom Brush Preset folder.  I created a visual to illustrate the idea:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI you can accomplish all that using existing MagicSquire brush panel, it does have Update button 🙂 (in addition to 1000 other features) 

works pretty fast on PS CC 2019 and my old Dell laptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Ross, I'll split it to a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

different idea

Please reference the new conversation here: Ability to color code or tag favorite presets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022 and this is still a problem. I don't understand how Adobe is so incabable in fixing basic usability stuff 

"Fix some basic stuff before launching into crazy new directions like 3D." 
...and the 3D stuff is now ditched, next frontier to waste development money is AI. Go Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bummer. I was just searching for a way to update my brush that I created for creating monster fur. But thi post is from over 12 years ago.... I guess we still can;t save over our brushes? Bummer!

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate