Adjustable grid size for the warp tool

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019
This feature has been implemented in Photoshop 2020 (version 21.0). You can have a grid with any number of grid points, and you can place custom grid points anywhere. You can also multi-select grid points and transform them together.

Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate
78 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SInce I posted this in the wrong thread, just following a connection from an email, here it is where it's meant to be:

Yes, this has been asked for for years and years now. Adobe has given us multiple ways to warp, but they're scattered about and finding just the right one that's quick and efficient for the need hasn't always been easy. Today, even remembering the multiple ways for transforming/warping has become difficult.

Think about it. No central location for access to : Adaptive Wide Angle, Perspective Warp, Puppet Warp, Warp, Transform, Free Transform, Perspective Crop, and then there's poor Vanishing Point way out in the hinterlands. And Liquify is yet another form of warping/transforming. Probably the only warp/transform tool that's in the obvious place for it is Text Warp. I think for most of us, all those warps and transformations also translates to a lot of confusion, while the basic Warp doesn't confuse anyone—it just is SO limited.

This is  a reason Warp needs to be more flexible. It's simple, stable, and if it had more anchors (in fact, were more like Gradient Mesh in AI, but for shape) it would be easy to locate, easy to use, and an easy choice to make for many common needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll take a look at Affinity, if it works it's not that expensive. Better than waiting for a solution from Adobe that may never come.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cristen nailed it - Perfectly stated, all of it, exactly what is needed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot figure out how to transform in Affinity - any tips? From what I've found so far you can only transform the corners, even less control than PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it works a little differently... try switching between the source/destination dropdown.

and to add nodes, double-click on the image where you want a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe there are some copyright or licensing  issues that prevent adobe from implementing this request.

It's been a oft requested feature since Warp appeared in photoshop cs2 (2005), so surely something more than engineering is at issue here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know the reason Adobe hasn't implemented this. I've often wondered about that one myself. At a minimum it would be nice if Adobe could acknowledge the request and perhaps state why they haven't done it. But I've worked in SW, at the biggest of them, and I know what triage lists look like. It could be that it's low on the list. It could be that for some reason it's a difficult request to enable for reasons that we might not expect. It could be that it breaks something. But yes, if it's something a lot of people have requested then it would be nice to have more communication from Adobe as to why. 

That's why I'm appreciating the efforts I see Adobe putting forth lately, from this forum to the surveys I got after we wall went ape over the latest Lightroom changes. Transparency goes a long ways ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad this has its own thread. I too have wondered why warp and liquify both are so limited, and I would certainly vote for this as a feature request, and it would benefit me far and above the 3D stuff, for example, which I never use in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I agree with all the post here and also
I would like to mention the new possibility I would have love to have in PS: Since I work on grey level images... and that the lines of the warp tools is grey too... is is almost impossible to see these lines on my image. So it would be great to have the choice of the color used by the warp tool. It is the same problem with the puppet tool that use only grey lines also. Thanks and have a nice day. JM Hermel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a workaround. Make your own vector grid in Illustrator with however many subdivisions you want and then place it into the PS doc, convert the placed vector smart object to a smart object (yes, sounds redundant), and then you should be able to warp it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transform Wrap fails miserably. Go back to 1995 and install Kai's power tools to learn how this should perform. Needs independent bezoid points that can be selected individually or with others so that multiple adjustments can be made simultaneously. Also need to be able to move a point and maintain aspect ratio without having to drag new guides. And, why do only the corner points show x and y changes? Sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sad indeed. What is the right "difficulty to implement:how many people want it" ratio before Adobe actually does something? Not that it matters because all they have to do is add an option for more anchor points/grid lines. It's NOT DIFFICULT! JUST F****EN DO IT, YOU DEGENERATES!!! I will come down to Adobe headquarters and burn the building down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously would love this feature as well. Please please please borrow/implement more stuff seen in video/vfx applications .

The grid/spline warping in Nuke linked earlier in this thread is a great example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SthlyRNXbkU This function would speed up the workflows of so many people.

HSL curves, qualifiers/selections like DaVinci Resolve is another. As well as how these applications work in complete floating point math, so even if you "clipped" the highlights with one adjustment layer, a subsequent layer can be used to recover them back. Also the ability to be compatible with OFX layers/plugins/tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread has gone on for 8 years! Wtf? What are we paying for? Adobe is ignoring its users. I have been using and paying for this software for almost 30 years and am frustrated with their subscription tranny and the fact they can’t fix basic tools. I am going to move on. What software out there can warp on a grid or should I just go directly into 3D and get z-paint? The price would likely come out in the wash with the improvement in my 3D items. Painting texture maps in photoshop is starting to feel archaic. Adobe. What can you respond please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature has been implemented in Photoshop 2020 (version 21.0). You can have a grid with any number of grid points, and you can place custom grid points anywhere. You can also multi-select grid points and transform them together.

Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't wait to try it. Is there a guide somewhere? I see the Bezier curve controls, which is a welcome surprise, but how do you multi select grid points?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah! It's a little late for the project I was working on 2 years ago, but, hey, I'm not gonna bitch. Bring it on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you hold shift, you can click/drag to select nodes and if you want to create more nodes/lines, just hold down alt/opt. 
Here's the new help entry:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/warp-images-shapes-paths.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It only took 8 years, but I just want to say, thank you Adobe – at last!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's no good guys, for some reason they have just implemented teh warp tool from illustrator rather than improve the transform warp tool in photoshop. You will notice that you cannot adjust points on the outer edges without them spinning and warping areas you don't want to warp. They have added four bezier points instead of two which creates a warp in all directions instead of being able to control the shape as previous.
They have also gotten rid of the guide lines on the default mode which are essential to a standard warp - if you want guide, you get extra points which you didn't ask for.

I don't know how to make it appear as legacy mode, but I am using 2018 until they fix it.
Once again Adobe throws out the old, but this time implements old tech (illustrator warp) to solve a problem which has been clearly documented and plenty of forward thinking posts to give advice of what is useful for the people who actually use this program.

Thanks for nothing photoshop team, for getting my hopes up that you listened to anyone in the forums at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh. Now I can't wait not to use it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the new Warp features seem to be implemented in a somewhat nonsensical fashion; apparently the angle of the handles of non-corner-points snaps to 90 ̊ when any one of a point’s handles is moved. 
This seems to completely miss the point for what the Warp should be able to achieve with regard to emulating the distortions of photographed surfaces (edit: especially when compared to Illustrator’s Envelope Distort). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Christoph, ideally the mesh would respond identically to a bezier path being manipulated with the pen tool. Corner nodes should be convertible to rounded and vice versa.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had a situation again where the additional grid lines would have been useful if the feature had been implemented correctly and without the unrequested 90˚-angle-locking of the handles.

So I wonder: Is this being worked on? 

Votes

Translate

Translate