• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Flip Canvas Horizontally "Non Destructively" for duel view editing

Contributor ,
Nov 25, 2011 Nov 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For people who like to work in duel view windows of the same picture it would be nice to be able to manipulate one view window by flipping it horizontally/vertically without actually doing anything to the original image the same way the rotate view tools does.

It could simply be an option in the rotate view tool settings bar .

TY for listening

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for contributing to this discussion. This idea has been implemented into Photoshop 20.0, which is available for download today. Please open the Creative Cloud app, download the update and let us know how it goes for you. If you do not see the update immediately, sign in and sign out of the Creative Cloud.

Thank you,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate
25 Comments
Contributor ,
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there should be a mode or a method while working in duel views of the same image, to "CHANGE" one attribute of the Image without it affecting the other. Attributes like "flipping horizontally" or "change one picture to grayscale". It would be useful because a lot of times you want to compare and check your image for flaws.

Its much easier to see your images flaws when you are in grayscale or when you flip the canvas. It would be very powerful to do so in realtime.

I know you can manually do this with a layer effect or by flipping your canvas constantly and waiting for it to load. But these methods can be tedious to do when you have a big image with a lot of layers, and these methods are also missing the big point. Real-time duel view comparing.

Ever since early art , artist have always had this fight of comparing "color vs value". Now that we have the technology I think we can make a huge stride in art by being able to see "both" at the same time while you work.

Thanks for listening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This idea is implemented in "Pain Tool SAI". And I want it in Photoshop) It would be useful, I think)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah I was playing around with SAI and even saw they have it in Illust studio pro. You can work on image and then work on the flip version on the fly. Its an incredible mode. Seems like Japanese software is always the first to do these little innovative things but i know photoshop can do it if they can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a professional retoucher, after hours spending on skin cleaning, I wish to flip my image, to find more imperfections.
I have trigger button to flip canvans - but it burns-out my processor - why not implement in "Rotate View" - "Flip View"?
Please, please, please...

anyone I ask how much he wants it - yelling MUCH 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 14, 2013 May 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Flip Tool to flip/mirror just the View of the current Document Window, not affecting the actual pixels would be very helpful for visual artists of all kinds from illustrators and painters to animators.

I imagine it working with OpenGL technology like the Rotate Tool.

Some users have requested a menu command or separate tool. I would prefer it to simply be a secondary function of the Rotate Tool as it is quite similar in a lot of ways and would work well together with the Rotate Tool’s current function to quickly Flip & Rotate at once.

I put together a quick video to explain it and show why it is needed and show how it would work.

(Excuse my horrible voice)

http://youtu.be/8el5rw3Rm3w

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 15, 2013 May 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your link http://robnonstop.com/flip is not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know adobe rarely adds a feature to photoshop if it doesnt benefit photographers in some way. This could benefit them too so lets hope photoshop gives us painters/designers something we can use. Very good video aswell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, URL works now. If you find the feature useful, encourage other painters/illustrators to vote for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 13, 2014 Jul 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah it could even be a new navigator window option even like how other professional apps have. Flip horizontally the navigator preview even though the actually canvas would be better I'd take even that option though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2015 Jul 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's been a few years already, I could not stress how useful this would be for many MANY artists, painters and even image editors. I know many artists stray away for Photoshop just because it doesn't flip non-destructively.

Seriously, wouldn't this be a simple flip function for OpenGL?
Would it be too hard to implement this simple function?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2015 Jul 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this is not event remotely a simple flip function for OpenGL.
Yes, this would take a good amount of effort to implement correctly.
And 11 votes doesn't bring this anywhere close to the top of the customer requests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2015 Nov 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here's my vote too. I want to flip back and forth quickly without having to be in the center of the canvas. And, it's answers like the one above that really turn good, faithful customers off. We are the ones paying for and using your software. You make millions. And yet it takes a decade or more to get a simple thing like an undo function that doesn't move you to a different layer or a decent autosave function. You can say it's hard but then other companies with far less resources crank out software with the features we artists want. Keep it up, eventually you will lose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use it daily as hot key, but wish it were option like Manga Studio-- truly a fave feature in Manga Studio --having live mirror image

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please, If Photoshop have this feature, it would be the most perfect and ideal for us. Despite having 32gb of ram, I still end up restarting photoshop just to clear up the resources its using, accumulated by constantly flipping canvas (Check Task manager, and the more layers,filters,adjustments you have, the more bigger memory it eats per flip).

And having a real time flip canvas preview would be awesome, not only for painters, but for photography too, just like in Clip Paint Studio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is already 2018 and yet adobe has failed to implement flipping canvas horizontally. We artists use hundreds of layers and the file dimensions can be as high as 4k-8k pixels. Photoshop's incompetent flipping tool takes 10 years to flip that kind of working file while other software like SAI and Clip Studio can do that in 0.3 sec. Everyone knows that artists require constant flipping of canvas to check for distortions. What makes it worse is that if you undo after flipping, the dumb software will flip the view back??? Even SAI and Clip Studio ain't as dumb as that. What's your excuse adobe? People pay a premium for your software yet you guys lack basic tools.

In case you guys are curious about the specs, I use i9, gtx 1080, 64gb RAM and multiple SSDs so don't even think about questioning my hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel optimistic with the last update of Photoshop adding smooth strokes and mirroring they are looking deeper now into the modern needs of digital artist and what other competing programs do for artist. I'm hoping this trend will only continue with one of the next evolutions of Photoshop being non destructive flipping to catch up to modern Japanese art programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the only similar thread? (opengl flip)

I subscribe to Photoshop CC, using it as a painter / illustrator.

I use destructive horizontal flip all the time and it forces me to paint with fewer layers.

Photoshop is a very performant software which scales in doc resolution and layer counts beautifully on even a slate tablet PC. So it is a bit of a shame as I sometimes have very layery and "fx-y" paintings. Sometimes clients ask for it. The more tired you are the less good you are at gauging flaws without aids such as flip canvas, rotate, hassle-less zoom as with scrub, etc. (sleep).

OpenGL flip is at the top of my wishes. If the canvas is already OpenGL seems it would be a quick implement.

As for similar features I can't think of any other thing I'd wish for for OpenGL features (among rotate and scrub zoom, etc). For me this is the last one.

To OP: turning image to greyscale is already doable non-destructive with Proof Colors.
(View>Proof Setup>Custom..., select sGrey profile and check Perceptual for instance.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for contributing to this discussion. This idea has been implemented into Photoshop 20.0, which is available for download today. Please open the Creative Cloud app, download the update and let us know how it goes for you. If you do not see the update immediately, sign in and sign out of the Creative Cloud.

Thank you,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!!! Ive been waiting a Decade for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really am so happy with adobe because lately they really are looking more heavily into what modern digital artist need. I used this feature at work today and was so thrilled. This changes the game for me personally. Appreciate this feature adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! Thanks Hannah and everyone for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is great, thanks for listening to our needs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this update!! Been looking forward to this. One more request, though: could the flip document command use the center of the current view as the axis of mirroring? For instance, if I'm zoomed in on a face that I'm drawing, I'd like to stay focussed on the same area, rather than pan or scroll to find what I was working on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is this option located? im on the latest version 20.0.1 and i dont see it in the rotation tool or anywhere else in the top menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It's under View: Flip Horizontal

Votes

Translate

Translate