• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Modernize and improve the Radial Blur filter

LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2012 Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i want to be able to select the vanishing point directly inside the image and get a gpu supported real-time preview

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Hi Roland, appreciate the request.

I see our community professionals have provided some solutions/workarounds to achieve some better results. 

I've converted your question into a feature request for the team) We do listen and implement a lot of suggestions:  https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/ct-p/ct-photoshop?page=1&sort=votes_desc&filter=released&tabid=ideas

Votes

Translate

Translate
61 Comments
Engaged ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel, there is a difference between accurate and precise (in Europe it is so...). And we must definitely not talk about efficiency in comparison to Affinity Photo. But I am not surprised anymore. USA and Saudi Arabia are the last two countries left, which could also not manage it to change to metric system (everything simply x 10 and / 10),  what is FAR easier and less error prone than the US statue system (sometimes x 12, sometime x 3 etc. etc. and the opposite)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roland,
I can't tell precisely how often I do use the radial  blur... perhaps once every year.
I have to thank you for getting me to test and experiment with the available feature. Believe me, I just discovered how to center the blur using the preview panel. Before, I did extend the canvas to put the focus in the center of the new canvas!
Now, I have found a quick way to center with a 2 or 3 percent of canvas width max error. Not bad for the purpose of blurring which is to lose sharpness. That said, I'd prefer a 'what you see is what you get' process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel, I am afraid we're talking about two different things. I am talking about 45 megapixel images, showing full body (not only head or eye) and I want to set the centre of the Zoom Blur exactly (!) on the centre of the iris. Anyway, this is the wrong thread, I accidentally put this into the Photoshop Elements section instead of Photoshop section.
I wish you a Merry X-mas and a Happy New Year.

PS: And for me and all other Photoshop users - complaining this since 2005 or so - I wish a Radial/Zoom blur which can set pixel exact without fumbling. I'd prefer that rather than all this super difficult to implement 3D functions, 98% of all Photoshop (normal Ps not Express) users never use. But an easy to pixel exact Zoom blur can not be implemented since 12 year - oh wow, this must be the really hard stuff to code. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Radial Blur tool is marginally useful, and from what I can see has never changed since its introduction some 20+ years ago. We now have multiple blur tools, many of which are duplicated in the Blur Gallery.

The interface options for blurring a layer are all over the place. The Radial Blur tool is modal, so we can't select the center point. Box Blur, Gaussian Blur, and Motion Blur are non-modal, Lens Blur opens an entirely new window, and Blur / Blur More pretty much duplicate existing functionality at this point (Box Blur, which as mentioned above, is non-modal). Lens Blur is duplicated by Iris Blur, Radial (spin option) Blur is duplicated by Spin, Motion Blur is duplicated by Path Blur, and Field Blur is what...Gaussian Blur with a new name and interface?

The Blur Gallery tools seem to be far more "modern" from a usability sense in that they work well and have precise controls. Since the Radial Blur is still modal, the center point can't be selected, which is the entire point of Radial Blur. I've seen suggested workarounds like this https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2246182 and frankly, that process is completely asinine.

My idea: Eliminate the entire Blur menu and replace it with the Blur Gallery. Move Box Blur, Gaussian Blur, and Radial (zoom option) Blur into the Blur Gallery and simplify the codebase while improving usability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right!  And you make lots of people unhappy by breaking their actions they have been using for years.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just look what happened when Adobe removed useless variant adjustment feature:  https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/we_want_a_variations_tool_for_color_correctio...

Many tools duplicate these variants adjustments, but people doesn't like changes. So if you would like to reply on each complain...

Otherwise I think you have good Idea but you need to be carefull if you want something remove.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least this response explains why I'm forced to wait 10% longer each release for the application to start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's something like that. Filters should be loaded with Photoshop start. Some of them are as file in folder. So you can delete this .8bf file and filter is gone. But it's not case for all filters. I am not saying that your idea is wrong. I agree with you in some way. I am just saying that if you simply remove feature, there will the consequences for which Adobe must be prepared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filter> Blur> Radial Blur is long overdue for a preview option (if not also for live placement). Putting the blur where you want it, especially when controlling it via a square navigator when most people don't use squares canvases, takes a while and really can't get precise. Painters and illustrators, especially in various splash arts, would really love for this to be a thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just about to be in 2023.

and still no update.
😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SO, I'm just fiddling around - again, like the past 27 years -with radial blur - are we finally getting a preview for this? Oh, OK, I didn't think so. I mean, we can use AI now to make faces look bad and all sorts of other utterly useless gimmick AI filters and inept content aware (???) fill (and I'm really sorry if this isn't friendly enough - NOT ) but still we have to guess around for the most basic things?

If anyone has recommendations, which won't matter to Adobe anyway (who "do listen and implement a lot of suggestions"), since I'm permanently caught in their subscripition: is there any external filter software or other image editing app I can purchase that is able to perform such technical miracles? I have to do this frequently now, so any solution that gets me past a tiny square for an entirely differens image format will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate