• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support for native full-screen mode on macOS

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2011 Jul 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must say that full screen apps is a wonderful idea. I can start in such a way some of the apple apps (safari, imail, numbers) - I like switching between them. It will be desirable to enable this option for Ligtroom & Photoshop (both CS and Elements) to behave in similar way under new Mission Control stuff...

Idea Under review
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 12, 2016 Aug 12, 2016
As of versions 6.6 and CC2015.6, this is supported in Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 28, 2012 Mar 28, 2012
I thought I'd take a moment to outline OS X's fullscreen mode in relation to Photoshop's Full Screen Modes and explain why we stuck with our Full Screen Mode:

Here's the short story: If we replace Photoshop's Full Screen mode with the native 10.7 full screen mode, then our users will loose the following functionality:

• The ability to use multiple displays while in fullscreen mode

• The ability to switch between different document windows while in fullscreen mode

This in not something our long...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 386 Replies 386
386 Comments
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Butch_M Oh, I do think Adobe have to be careful not to settle for "good enough" features, and they haven't seemed so sure footed over the last couple of years. I might add my own doubts about various moves towards software as a service, or spawning extra products like Edge and Mush, sorry Muse (Dreamweaver for dumbos?).

But I wouldn't characterize my post as "lobbying" against this IMO "insignificant" feature to protect others. That opportunity cost is always in the background, of course, but I'm just not that impressed by Lion's full screen app feature and would add a -1 to this thread if the forum software made it possible. It's just a bonus that not chasing this particular rabbit frees up resources to (hopefully) benefit all users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously?

You have to "vote" against something so "trivial"? ... if the idea is as mundane and superfluous as you deem it is ... won't it die it's own agonizing death as Linux support has without any effort from you?

How about we let the merits fall where they may ... negativity for any feature request is belittling another's view ...

I was never a fan of a Maps module... or Face Recognition (both VERY popular with many users of Lr) ... though I have NEVER actively opposed such measures ... because they ARE important to some users ... Who am I to decide if they should be implemented? ...

Especially since it is such an insignificant number of users who participate here ..

Considering that TH mentioned there were 300,000 participants in the Lr4 beta ... the top feature in this forum has only 208 votes ... That alone should direct further development of Lightroom as we know it?

I think we DESERVE so much more ...

Shouldn't you spend your time PROMOTING those features that YOU find important ... rather than diminishing the features that others find important? Won't the rankings here take care of themselves without your input?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2012 Apr 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course Adobe will go their own merry way without paying too much attention to any votes here. But assuming they are noted in some tiny way, you can +1 the ideas you like, so a -1 Don't Like should be there to add balance (I asked for a -1 button when this forum first appeared). As for "actively opposing", that's rather exaggerated - I made one pretty straight "no thanks" post and then seem to have had to defend the right to do so. Don't you feel your understandable dissatisfaction with Book is getting the better of you? That would be a shame because you're making very persuasive points in that area and in others where we agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 2 cents: I'd like to see an option to allow Mac users to enable OSX FullScreen mode if they wish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2012 Jul 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J453. Regardy your to main point.

>The ability to use multiple displays while in fullscreen mode

The majority of use don't use multiple screen.

>The ability to switch between different document windows while in fullscreen mode

This argument isn't apply to Lightroom

So for Lightroom, can you considerate to add the option to use Mac OS X full screen mode. User will have the chose to use Adobe full screen add Mac OS X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jul 15, 2012 Jul 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple solves the different documents problem in their Pages by placing each full-screen document in its own window; I suppose each could go in their own tab, instead.

Maybe Adobe COULD give us a choice between their version of full-screen and Apple's. They finally relented and gave us a choice between their version of Command-H and Apple's in Photoshop. Why not this, too.

They seem to be stuck with their holier than thou idea that their Windows versions and Mac versions must always be exactly the same, even if their customers think otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2012 Jul 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I would really like to see a (mountain) lion full-screen in Lr. It's just a better way to organise the workspace. Also, for some reason notification don't work when Lr is in it's full screen mode (plus I can't enter notification center from there). I guess this problem would be solved as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2012 Aug 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 Suggestions: Mac full screen. I use mission control to switch between different full screen apps all the time and it interrupts workflow if I have to do something different to the rest of the applications I am using.

Second: If you were to implement something like this, have it as a free update and not force existing Elements 10 users to upgrade just to have this feature. It's a slap in the face.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2013 Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add real Mac Full Screen support to LR5. Although your different Full Screen modes are nice, they do not put LR5 into its own Desktop, so it obscures my Dock and doesn't free up the default desktop. I can understand that as a 'Secondary Display' option it's not entirely possible, but could you possibly consider the option to create a desktop automatically and move LR5's window into that Desktop when you switch Full Screen modes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 16, 2013 Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been a long time since Mountain Lion was released and still no true Apple Full Screen mode, despite all the requests. Seems like Adobe just doesn't listen to its customers. Stubborn!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2013 Jun 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that OSX Mavericks has improved Full Screen Mode support for multiple displays is this something the the Lightroom Team will consider reviewing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice if Adobe would catch up with the latest OSX features so we can benefit from a better full screen experience with the CC apps, which so far has been quite frustrating to deal with, when compared to how the rest of apps work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 26, 2013 Dec 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE support full screen mode in CC apps.

Pretty please, with sugar on top?

Switching/swiping between desktops is super useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... Illustrator has it, so why not Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wha? Really? I did not see a native OS X full screen button in Illy ... Where's it at? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things have changed quite a bit in OS X's full screen mode since Lion. It would be nice to see a reconsideration on this. Currently, I have to open Lightroom and then use Mission Control to move Lightroom into its own space. Even still, windows often spawn in that space and the Dock appears when switching between spaces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently asked a Muse team member about Full-Screen mode. He said it was not on their radar.

Adobe doesn't seem to understand how nice Apple's Full-Screen mode. Not only does set the app to take over the full screen, but it gives the app its own, exclusive Desktop space.

Any method that Adobe introduces keeps the app on the same page, allowing apps to overlap each other and thus not allowing us to switch between apps with the keyboard shortcut Control-Left and Right Arrows or by a two-finger swipe on the mouse.

Adobe seems tone deaf to its users regarding this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God, hearing that about a Muse team member really bothers me for some reason.

Being able to use full screen mode is SOOO helpful for many reasons. It's a great way to keep apps organized. Personally, I prefer the full screen mode more than using desktops.

As was mentioned by Scott Smith above, moving apps to spaces is a real pain in arse. I mean, you can always tell an app to "always" open in a particular desktop, but then that means you always have to have that desktop laying around; when not using Adobe apps, that means extra swipes across an un-used space to get to a full screen app.

It's unfortunate that Adobe isn't aware of how useful full screen is. It's probably because their devs don't use full screen mode, BECAUSE THEIR APPS DON'T SUPPORT IT, so they don't know how cool it is. :)

Or, are all Adobe devs Windows users?

I hate to sound like a troll, but it really bugs me that Adobe apps clutter up my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not just Lightroom, but all Adobe apps please. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so we're all aware, in Mavericks (and Mountain Lion) the full screen modes have improved. No longer is the second monitor useless; it's now its own desktop space. Anyway, just FYI for those of you that don't have dual monitor setup. Please Adobe, for God's sake, adopt full screen mode! Sheesh. 😠

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that Yosemite is coming out, the zoom button is becoming the full screen button. People will be expecting full screen when they click the green button. Not being able to manage Photoshop in Mission Control is very disruptive to my workflow!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2014 Sep 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2014 Nov 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a Cintiq which is not always connected. When it's connected it is my secondary monitor. Sadly, Photoshop loves to open every single dialogue on my primary monitor so I have to move away from my Cintiq and navigate them with my mouse, every single time. This is needless to say, highly annoying.

Having Photoshop use the OSX full-screen mode would solve this.

If you're worried about some customers missing the old method. What about adding a toggle in the settings somewhere?

I would be very grateful for this feature. :)

Edit: Oh! And in fullscreen mode like in other OSX apps the menu bar would be hidden until the mouse hits the top of the screen. Ever so slightly less screen clutter which is always a nice thing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2014 Dec 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is time to reconsider this and add full screen support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2015 Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We seriously need this functionality. Ever since OS X Lion introduced the full screen app functionality, it has dramatically reduced unnecessary workflow time and I know a ton of Mac users using it day to day.

I pose this simple question in retort to the reasons given to why Adobe will not add this feature in their software: what happens when a Mac user using the OS X full screen apps functionality with other apps and additionally has to use multiple pieces of Adobe software together? Graphic designers nowadays are well capable of using Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Edge Code/Dreamweaver, Premiere Pro and Lightroom (and probably even more), and since none of these support full screen mode in OS X, we end up not being able to fully control how to lay out our applications.

Another issue is with the GUI of some of the new pieces of CC software. As a designer I'm often using Illustrator and Photoshop in tandem. As you are well aware, Illustrator CC implements a layout very similar to GIMP's before actually opening a document, meaning there's no center workspace and only sidebar info displayed. When Photoshop (or perhaps any other desktop app) is open underneath it, I consistently end up clicking into that app, thinking that I'd be interacting with the Illustrator interface. Same thing for InDesign. The image below demonstrates that example; at first glance, what application do you think I'm currently using?

I'm also confused as to how utilizing Lion's full screen mode deters users from using multiple displays and from switching between windows. OS X Full Screen dedicates an app entirely to its own dock/screen, but gestures and hotkeys all still work. That's the whole point of the full screen mode. It's only more efficient to allow the OS X full screen functionality as users could set a design environment on one monitor (with full screen Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Lightroom set in Mission Control), then have another side for development/rendering (with Premiere Pro, After Effects, Dreamweaver/Edge Code, Media Encoder, etc.). Users can then gesture on these two screens for the most efficient use of their time. At the moment, even with two displays, we're either using ALT+TAB or the Mission Control gesture to switch between applications. If you are not aware, ALT+TAB always shows all open applications and Mission Control always affects all monitors at once. On top of that, these applications are all cluttered on their respective desktops because they can't be nestled in the Mission Control drawer.

Which brings me to my point: three-finger gesture between apps CAN work on individual monitors! With the design/development environments I mentioned earlier, one could flick between Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign without digging through the rest of the open Adobe applications. They could also do it without disturbing the view of their secondary monitor(s), consistently leaving open render progress, testing environments or anything else they want left on a monitor. Please implement OS X full screen functionality into the Adobe software lineup, I guarantee it will save us all a great deal of time. If you want, even make a beta release and I will make a video detailing just how useful it could be. For the betterment of workflows around the globe, I'd be more than willing.

Votes

Translate

Translate