• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide preference and preset syncing via the cloud (Presets, Preferences, Workspaces, etc)

Participant ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need this in Photoshop:Save and sync brushes, actions and assets to the cloud!If i then log in to another computer (at my work..what ever) all my tools, patterns and so on are in sync.ps: could also be the workspace..

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

You can now sync presets to the cloud: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/sync-presets.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
81 Comments
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: the security thing--I can understand how there might be a concern regarding the integration of a CSLive account and a dropbox account if I had to tell Adobe the login credentials for my dropbox. I was thinking something much simpler.

Try this idea for its worth:
I can establish a setting in Photoshop, defining where I wish to keep my Adobe Presets. Maybe it's in the Adobe folder, maybe it's in my dropbox. That setting is stored as a Photoshop preference, *and* in my Adobe CSLive account, if I'm signed in.

Now, any time I go to another computer, I have several options:
1) For computer 2, set up Dropbox and tell that instance of Photoshop to point there. This keeps all presets synced so that changes on computer2 are re-acquired on computer1 by virtue of the machines having the "same" preset folder.
2) I sign into CSLive on computer2, and it notices that it should sync to dropbox and links up automagically to the configured instance of dropbox running on computer2
3) I sign into CSLive on computer2, but it does *not* have dropbox, nor do I want to/have permission to install it for any applicable reason. CSLive sees that I should sync with dropbox, and asks for my dropbox login credentials (not stored by Adobe--used to connect to dropbox). As I change presets, or close Photoshop, these credentials are used to re-upload my prefs to DB and then are wiped away.

I think that covers all use cases of needing to have Photoshop on multiple machines that you may or may not have complete control of. Right? And ost of it is accomplished by letting the prefs folder be variable. he extra coding work would be with the last bit there--sending a folder up to DB (which I assume there's an api for)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LOUIS - you may use Drop box and not want to change, so what about the people who use Sugar Sync, Windows Live, Amazon S3 or one of the many other sometimes better cloud syncing tools? Should they all move to Drop Box to save you any hassle?
And as you obviously have and use an Adobe ID, what's the issue anyway with another login you already use and maintain?
Besides at the moment DB is a bit crippled as you cannot tell it to sync a bunch of different folders scattered around your various hard drives, it can only sync from within the single DB folder and its subfolders. There are workarounds, some fiddly and some dangerous and which differ depending on which OS you are using, so it really isn't that suitable anyway.
And why use a third party who may go out of business or change their terms of use excluding other companies using their service. Particularly as PS for example can already interact and share files online, so why even use a 3rd party tool?
The whole point of this feature request is to make life easy for people, not fiddly with geeky faffing around with 3rd party software. Which most users will have no interes in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me second Ian's proposal. Being able to export everything to a given location (desktop, for instance), then let user copy and move the files to another machine, then import from there needs to be present for non-networked areas. The Cloud service is a plus, but should maybe not be the default behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be a choice. Something like this maybe.
(not put in any particular order just typed it out)

1) I want to synch to the cloud.
(the cloud being whatever service that is implemented)

2) I Don't want to synch to cloud, I ONLY want to export.

3) I synch to cloud but would like to export my settings at this time.

Maybe??
What do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be happy with preset saving and loading, rather than full syncing. Syncing is often a very difficult problem to solve, but wouldn't have much benefit over saving and loading for me (or maybe saving, loading, sharing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would definitely want BOTH! It wouldn't be a problem to implement both. Just as you for sure want to be able to do it without synching there are those (a lot) that for sure want synching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not be at all happy with simply saving and loading. That's already easily accomplished using backup software and plugins. Syncing is not so easy and would definitely be a great addition!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2011 Jun 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love LR - it's so much more"professional" than Aperture and certainly than iPhoto. The Apple WWDC conference announced iCloud with seamless integration to Apple products.

I doubt Cuppertino are working to integrate with LR (they want to sell their stuff).

Here's a way out there thought.

Could LR create (by export or ideally, in parallel) a "fake" iPhoto l;ibrary to provide full integration with Apple services. iCloud would then give LR full integration with with all Apples iThings: phones pads, pods et al.

Wouldn't that be cool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2011 Jun 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this idea will be applied to all Adobe apps. Every time I have to install Dreamweaver I have to import my sites and shortcuts for Illustrator and so on. Would love it if I could just sign in and my settings would be downloaded to any computer. Please make it happen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2011 Jun 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also make it exportable to USB for when cloud is unavailable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2011 Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great idea! Using our Adobe IDs would be a great way to sync/store certain elements of our Adobe products together. Extra storage space could be included when users buy the 'Extended' version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2011 Jul 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my bridge has stopped working in cs5, just says building criteria, after months of working fine. Reinstalled but forgot to copy my own actions etc

can you add a script / reminder to copy actions etc before uninstall finishes and it copies them to a desktop folder.

my bridge is still not working, ah well an entire day wasted and zero info anywhere on your website-cracking stuff adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. Probably the smartest thing that Adobe didn't come up with. Adobe Preferences being live/synced in a cloud that you can call up at other studios or computers- awesome. Adobe should hire the guy who thought of this, you need him. 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,
Oct 10, 2011 Oct 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this is an absolutely great idea. Needs to be secure and password protected though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2011 Oct 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To take syncing even a step further for companies like retouching houses, the Wacom intuos 4 tablet can recognize individual styluses. Can you add an option with the syncing mechanism to load prefs by stylus so any computer an operator sits at with their stylus, photoshop will recognize them and load accordingly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2011 Nov 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe Gripe #16507

"Why don't you implement backup/export preferences/profiles?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

loading and saving is a pain in the @$$ and time consuming. It should be simple. Hit a button, sync prefs...done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is this a quote someone said? I don't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2011 Dec 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it would be great syncing fonts also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,
Feb 22, 2012 Feb 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The entire Photoshop Preference set just got a lot bigger, which won't help. From CS4 to CS5 I mean. Not sure why this is the case, but stored patterns seem to be stored a lot less efficiently. And there are increases in the sizes of other files within the preference set also. transferring some of his data over the cloud is going to be a cludge if the team don't keep an eye on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Patterns are stored like a set of images, including compression -- but patterns are pixel data and some will compress better than others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I had the same pattern set in Photoshop CS4 and CS5, I'll check

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG YES!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This would help! Every time I try and use a new computer (and it happens a lot in my line of work) I loose at least a half an hour trying to get all the preferences and such in the right place.
It did get better with workspaces.
And don't forget brush presets! I use them all the time... Same thing for Ai and Indesign, preferably all at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate