• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

M: Photoshop 21.1.3 freezes when using Adjustments on macOS (Rulers enabled)

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I thought that the problem when using intensity/contrast in adjustments (it is extremly slow to the point I think the computer freezes) was solved by restoring preferences and restoring warning messages, but as it turns out the problem is still there! Turning of the graphic card processor helps maybe a little (one or two times) but then there are other issues such as I can't use the filter "lightning effects". The problem is there wether I work on a big or small file. The only thing I can upgrade on the computer is to the OS Catalina.

Computer :  OS Mojave 10.14.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27, 2019), processor Intel Core i9, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, 

Radeon Pro 580X 8GB.

Please need help!

/Jan

{Moderator note: PS-48654

Thread title edited}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020
Hi all,

Apologies for the frustrating freeze with some Photoshop adjustments: We've added this issue to Photoshop's known issues documentation.

The current workarounds that we’re aware of are:
  • Disable Rulers (CMD+R on Mac, Ctrl+R on Win), or
  • Move the Adjustment dialog outside of Photoshop’s workspace/interface before touching any sliders.
Let us know how this goes.

We have been able to reproduce the freeze internally and the engineering team is currently investigating a fix.
Stay tuned to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Hi All,

We are happy to announce the release of  Photoshop 21.2.

This update includes the fix for Photoshop 21.1.3: Hue Saturation dialog not responsive

Here's a list of fixed issues in this release: Bug fixes

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Regards,
Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020
ADOBE released an upgrade today that fixed this problem. I tested it and it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 152 Replies 152
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hust hide the Rulers already. 

But you can revert to an older version if you prefer; just make sure you have all your custom presets backed up. 

Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 08.02.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, my huesaturation window does not freeze when I use the presets (up on top in the frame) instead of the common three rider lines in this window which often are sufficient for me. But the problem is serious...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the previous version and the Photoshop problem is solved.
I suppose we should expect them to fix this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it ridiculous to be even discussing this. How is it possible that Photoshop freezes when trying to use a "basic" tool such as Brightness/Contrast?! Even free apps can do that without a problem... and I'm paying monthly to waste my time like this? I work with this apps.... is Adobe going to respond for my client's and my time and money wasted trying to solve this? (I shouldn't be having to try anything because this shouldn't be happening!!!). I try to correct the Brightness/contrast of a picture and the whole thing freezes, no button responds and the only option I have is to Force Quit the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I paid for the rulers... why should I have to hide them... I use them and need them.... why can't Adobe fix this or reimburse me partially for making me pay for a fully funtioning Photoshop which is not true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hiding rulers did NOT work for me but restoring preferences did. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love that this is highlighted as "Correct Answer" might be correct but it doesn't fix the issue 😞

11 crashes this moring. Sadly something basic like hue and saturation shouldn't be crashing an entire piece of software. ALAS this is sooo annoying. Yet another bug - it's so great to be paying to be a BETA tester.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you hide the rulers or try moving the dialog windows off the image completely? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rulers off, yes. Initially didn't work - but then did. Alas forgot to turn the rulers off in another comp, and it crashed agh.

Nevermind. Thankgod for recover.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me but really hoping it will be fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I paid for the rulers... why should I have to hide them... I use them and need them....  why can't Adobe fix this or reimburse me partially for making me pay for a fully funtioning Photoshop which is not true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had same problem with last update, Delete and reinstall software but nothing happened. What a pity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you hide the Rulers? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me in Catalina 10.15.5 on a new MacBook Pro 13" 2020. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This started happening in 21.1.1 or 21.1.2. So naturally, I hoped it was fixed by 21.1.3. But NO! But it does seem that without warning, ACR interface changed dramatically. Whoa! Come on Adobe! I know things are tough with COVID and all, but please, please, please, slow down on so much change that you keep breaking stuff like, EVERY point release! We can live without so many gee-whizbang-in-your-face-at-the-expense-of-quality-features for a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear PS Team, please solve this problem fast. It looks like moving the adjustment window form the PS Window away is working, or typing in the correction. But both is not very convenient, when I have to work on 50 Portraits in a short time and deliver them to the client as soon as possible. Thanks a lot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that this solution worked for me, toggling off rulers and moving the adjustment window off the workspace. Previously I had tried uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop and deleting preferences without any success. Thank you for your help Pete!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need those rulers, an Adjustment Layer will avoid the problem. The sliders do not freeze up as with Image > Adjust and is "non-destructive" which means the settings are not baked in when you save your file.

You can always come back and readjust or even delete the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on when this will be fixed?  I am also finding that Liquify is sluggish and crashes Photoshop as well. I am assuming it is the same problem with rulers.   PLEASE FIX THIS! It is very frustrating when trying to teach others how to use Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the indicated work around and it did not work.  I even uninstalled and reinstalled photoshop and the problem continued. I notice the picker dropper appears when I try to do an adjustment, I do not remember that happening before but perhaps I did not notice because the adjustment worked as designed.  With the work around, if I cancel the adjustment I can continue using photoshop without having to force quit.

I may have to take the image into another photo editing software to get the adjustment I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same problem here. 😞 When can we have a real fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is freezing her too, with Catalina 10 15 5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry about the trouble. Have you tried to disble the Rulers by going to the View menu as suggested to check if it helps?

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone

Hi Everyone
My photoshop (21.1.3) on macOS (10.15.4) lag and then freezes every time I use hue/saturation and brightness/contrast, some other image regulations options lag but doesn't freeze the program.

It let me tune just a few parameters (while heavily lagging) and then the regulation window freeze letting me move it but can't close it. all I can do is right-click on the PS icon and forced to close.

Am happy the admin is giving a relieving response 

my regards

contact@techevangelistseo.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines