• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fix mouse dragging delay when changing effects values

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since at least CS6, there has been an issue for me with dragging on an effect value (Position, Scale, etc.). When I click and drag on it, nothing happens if I move my mouse slowly, which is what I normally want to do. I have to move it quickly for it to recognize that my mouse is moving, and then the value will change, but because I'm moving the mouse so fast, it jumps way past the value that I wanted. I would expect that as soon as I start dragging, the value would change immediately.

Here's a link to a video that shows it perfectly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7szXL_LFTM

And a link to the forum thread that discusses it:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1440550?start=40&tstart=0

One of the "fixes" suggested turning the mouse speed up and "Enhance Pointer Precision" off. And that does "fix" the problem, but then my mouse is moving way too fast and I have no precision over anything else in Windows. My mouse pointer speed is set on the 6th mark, and Enhance Pointer Precision is on when I have the problem.

This works perfectly in After Effects and Photoshop, so it would be great to see it work in PP as well.

Windows 10
PPro CC 13.0.1 Build 13
I am using a SteelSeries Rival mouse, without the software installed.
Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023
THERE IS A FIX FOR THIS.
In Windows, go to the control panel.
Go to "mouse"
Click "Additional mouse options" or "Change the mouse pointer display or speed."
The "Select a pointer speed" value must be on the 7th notch or higher.
I also recommend turning "Enhance pointer precision" OFF.

See the attached .png.

However, if your cursor is now moving too fast for you, this means that you need a mouse that can independently adjust its own "sensitivity" or "dpi."

If you love your existing mouse and don't want t...

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Hello @jumpymonkey9,

Thanks for the message. It’s been a long time since you filed this bug. I apologize for the lack of a response. Are you still having this issue? If so, the team will need more info from you to reproduce the bug. Can you provide the information required here? How do I write a bug report?

Have you tried @TaranVH,'s workaround? Please also let us know.

I'll move your post to the Discussions board while we await your information.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
6 Comments
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THERE IS A FIX FOR THIS.
In Windows, go to the control panel.
Go to "mouse"
Click "Additional mouse options" or "Change the mouse pointer display or speed."
The "Select a pointer speed" value must be on the 7th notch or higher.
I also recommend turning "Enhance pointer precision" OFF.

See the attached .png.

However, if your cursor is now moving too fast for you, this means that you need a mouse that can independently adjust its own "sensitivity" or "dpi."

If you love your existing mouse and don't want to get a new one, then you can use the linked AHK script at the bottom of this post.

========= ETC INFO ===========

That forum thread is no longer available. Here's a link to a newer thread,

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/to-change-parameter-values-i-have-to-move-my-mouse-at-a-...

A link to an archive of the old thread:
https://web.archive.org/web/20141128004553/https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1440550

And finally a link to the old AHK that I used to use to fox the problem:
https://github.com/TaranVH/2nd-keyboard/blob/master/Taran's_Premiere_Mods/I_do_not_use/PREMIERE_BUG_...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice fix!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello from 2021.
This bug is still here in Premiere Pro 15.2.0.

I.e. when dragging Motion->Scale from 100%, there's no change for like 200 on-screen pixels of cursor movement, then it jerks right into 230% scale ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @jumpymonkey9,

Thanks for the message. It’s been a long time since you filed this bug. I apologize for the lack of a response. Are you still having this issue? If so, the team will need more info from you to reproduce the bug. Can you provide the information required here? How do I write a bug report?

Have you tried @TaranVH,'s workaround? Please also let us know.

I'll move your post to the Discussions board while we await your information.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,  yes, it has been quite a while.  And while I don't use PPro at all these days, I installed it just now to see, and yes, the problem still exists in 24.3.0.  I disabled "Enhance pointer precision", which did stop the problem.  But I use AE a lot, and have pointer precision turned on helps tremendously when trying to select layers or values in the timeline.  So I will not be leaving it off.

What I'm not sure I understand is, with all of the forum posts about this, why can't your team recreate the bug?  I have used PPro on many PCs, probably 5 or 6, and all have had the problem.  These have been self-built and off-the-shelf models.  Certainly someone there could try it out on their home PC to see what's going on.  I'm sure I've filled out bug reports before, and honestly I don't really feel like doing it.  I rarely, if ever, use PPro anymore, so it's not something I'm worried about.  So, good luck on fixing it.  Feel free to respond here if you do.  It would be nice to see it working as it should.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @jumpymonkey9,

Thanks for the reply. Since I'm not on the product team, I'm unsure why the bug hasn't been responded to. Since you can repro the bug, I'll return it to the Bugs forum. I will let them know about the issue, as well. Sorry for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate