• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Fixed] Captions burning into video even when not selected to

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export a video ( h.264 ) I am selecting to create a sidecar file ( SRT ) on the captions tab , when I export, it does create the SRT file, but it also burns the closed captions into the video. When I select NONE for Caption Export options when exporting, it is still burning the closed captions into the MP4 file.

This is happening on all 23 sequences inside my project file. The only way I can get the captions to not burn in, is to turn off the eyeball on the Subtitle track. Which then requires me to re-render the entire timeline.

This is using Premiere v15.4.1 build 6 . Any thoughts ?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Explorer , Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Had time to start a new small project , using some of the same footage and audio. Captions are exporting as they are supposed to.

The only thing I can think of is I use a master project with all  my folders, sequences, etc already created so I have a common start point, something in the project must be "off". I am going to create a new master project "template" and go forth with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Hi again, I updated to Premiere v22.4 and it seems to have resolved. Thanks for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , 12m ago 12m ago

Hello Folks,
Any permanent solution to this issue? I just ran into this issue on Pr 24.3 (Build 59) as of May 16, 2024. Using MacStudio 2023 macOS Ventura 13.5. I even tried deleting cache to no avail. The only workaround I figured out is to turn off caption track, export the video; then turn on the caption track and export as a SRT file from the captions panel. Not very helpful if I have longer videos. Any other guidance to solve this issue would be most appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Hi Community,

This bug has been marked as fixed in Premiere Pro 22.1 and later. If this fix is still not working for you, please let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you are rendering with your "use previews in export" turned on, and you've already created previews with the timecode burned in. You either need to change that setting on export so you will re-render on export or turn off the captions and re-render your timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. When exporting " Use Previews " is not selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide more screenshots? One of the timelines showing the caption track, the Text Panel, and the Program monitor.

Even though you have rendered the sequence with captions off, I would try "deleting" renders and also clearing the media cache.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.
I have attached the screenshots. I did clear the media cache and still had the same results. Captions were still burned in, even when none is selected.

I then cleared media cache ( and verified both the Media Cache and Media Cache Files folders were both empty ) and even deleted the Pro Video Previews , restarted premiere , exported with NONE selected. Same thing, captions are still burned in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JTW, very odd. I don't recall anyone reporting this problem.

First, as unlikely as it is, be certain you are looking at the correct export folder/file.

Second, I would reset the Captions workspace. I don't see how this would be the problem. 

Third, create a new project, import an asset, create a caption track and a couple of captions. Then test export.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan.

I verfied I am looking at the correct export folder. Yesterday I had exported about 20 times , each time when the video showed the captions , i removed it from the folder. I even verifed by looking at the time/date stamp on the file.

I did try a new sequence, and the same happened. I will try a new project once I have all videos from this project delivered to the stakeholders. 

My other task is to create steps/process for co-workers to use Adobe Premiere for captions. Before some would export MP4 , and use either Camtasia to create the SRT file, or create the captions manually ( painfully ) in Storyline.

Appreciate the help and suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your export panel, under Effects, is Timecode Overlay checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Negative. I use a transparent video layer with timecode effect , that I turn off for final draft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Let us know. Very odd.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had time to start a new small project , using some of the same footage and audio. Captions are exporting as they are supposed to.

The only thing I can think of is I use a master project with all  my folders, sequences, etc already created so I have a common start point, something in the project must be "off". I am going to create a new master project "template" and go forth with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting back. Hope everything keeps working!

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. So your resolution was to basically start a new project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andrew, let's see if JTW replies. I think that was what helped him.

Note that @Jeff Bugbee suggested one option, re "use previews" on export. There may be another variation simply related to needing to clear the media cache. Starting a new project may reset such things.

If you don't get this working, give us more detail about your project, and post a screenshot of the caption panel, timeline, and program monitor.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that worked for me was starting a new project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooops , realized I was logged in under my old account JTW Jr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just confirming , yes my only real solution was to create a new master project to use as a starting point.  Sorry didnt realize my old account still had login info cached above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello CaSMITH22,

Sorry! Have you tried what worked for the OP? Create a new project and import the items from the old project into the new one. Let us know what happens.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the follow up, Kevin - but the solution shouldn't be to start a new project. Why is it broken in the first place? This has happened with a few projects now, and it is something within Premiere that is broken. 

Typical trajectory:

- I exported a draft without captions, captions are not burned in. 

- Export draft with caption sidecar - select "export sidecar" - NOT burned in  

- Exported draft has captions burned in, even though it was not selected, but now I have an SRT so I....

- Export again with caption track hidden (eyeball off) so I have a clean file that I can use with the SRT

So, the solution should not be "make a new project" - Adobe should come up with the solution please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CaSMITH22,

OK, sorry about that. I was under the impression that it was just one project and missed the part where you said it was happening to multiple projects. That's no good. Which format are you exporting to? Can we have a bit more info so I can attempt to reproduce the error? I hope I can help.

Thanks,
Kevin 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, I ran two tests today - exporting through Premiere's export tab, and through Media Encoder, both using Youtube 1080p HD preset. Both tests, I selected "sidecar," and both tests created a sidecar.... and burned the captions into the mp4. I've attached screen grabs. I also have a two minute video showing both tests, but it's too big of a file to post here. Let me know if you want me to send it another way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CaSMITH22,

Can you verify the version you are working with? We cannot reproduce on 22.4.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin - Premiere v22.3.0 build 121

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, I updated to Premiere v22.4 and it seems to have resolved. Thanks for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines