• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HUGE memory leak - Mac Apple Silicon - Premiere Pro version 23.2

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue with the latest version of premiere working fine but progressivley getting slower, then filling all available ram and disk swap, I get a memory error on mac with premiere pro usung in excess of 100GB editing standard 4K footage, footage that never used to have issues until this version.

My system 

Macbook pro 16 inch, 32`gb ram M1 Max

latest OS (13.2.1 (22D68))

Premiere 23.2

Its happened on multiple projects, some new some old.

I've had to revert to the previous version for my own sanity.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

The original issue that generated this thread, has been fixed. It was related to memory usage around VST plugins. 

[I'm not discounting the possibility that you're encountering a different issue...]

Do you have third party VST plugins installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Hi Lee,
I don't know if everyone in this forum thread is suffering from the same issue that you are, but there are two primary components to your particular memory consumption issue.
1.) Your project size is getting overly large (currently 115MB). It's not an unmanagemable size yet, but it's rapidly approaching it. Your project contains  286 sequences, 3990 project items, and 102064 track items. All these items require memory to load. Your best avenue for managing the large project size is to brea

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

>...it is clear that the error is not just a bug linked to a VST...

Agreed. I would rephrase, that it's clear not all the user issues piled into this thread, were related. 🙂 

> By dialoguing with Autokroma, they found a solution to the problem, by checking the “sync mode” box in the settings tab. >Now it is working great.

Glad to hear it! 

Thanks for the follow up.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 149 Replies 149
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We haven't received any other reports of behavior like this...

Confirming: While running PPro, it consumes all available RAM, AND fills your entire scratch disk, media cache directory, or both?

What are you mostly doing during those PPro sessions; exporting, editing on the timeline, editing metadata...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fills the ram and Mac OS memory cache, so 32gb and then up to 103GB in use on activity manager.

when the force quit window pops up premiere stops responding, even closing all other apps.

I could replicate it by scrubbing the timeline of clips with no effects or adjustments, it would get slower and slower and eat the ram. Using footages from Sony A7iV (all I 4k 10 bit), and DJI mini 3 pro (4k 10 bit)

I've switched to the previous version, doesn't have the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh; earlier you'd mentioned filling disk cache as well. 

You said multiple projects; were you also using a variety of media? What flavor (codec/format) was your 'standard 4K footage'? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh I meant system ram disk cache which Mac OS uses when the rams full, but yeah definitely 103gb for running a program is extreme.

sony alpha format mp4 all-I 4k 4:2:2 10 bit, and DJI mini 3 pro mp4 with 10 bit

both 25 fps 

I say standard as that's what I've been editing with for the past year with no issues like this, the previous version of premiere doesn't have the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Reached out directly, for actionable details]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

was this issue resolved? I've been having this issue and it's getting increasingly worse.

I'm experiencing it in an almost identical fashion to described (being footage and codecs used).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me - The latest Premiere pro 23.2 

Running on a M1 Max 64gb on Latest Ventura

Working with Sony Fx6 footage, 8bit and 10bit footage - 2 Video layers max and no fx except Lumeti and FabfiltersScreenshot 2023-03-28 at 19.57.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jody Bolder

You mention "FabFilters".  Are you talking about the FabFilter 3rd party audio effects?  If you are, does removing them make a difference to memory consumption?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, it happens when FabFilters are not running on the project

Same with with Fab Filters Updated to the latest version

And still happens when FabFilters are uninstalled

Usually around to 40 minute mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well now.  Top-of-the-line Mac Studio 128GB Raw is a 9K machine one-year-old, and it was even having trouble running 1080p footage.  WTF is going on!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Happened half a dozen times today. Nothing special. Mostly prores 1080 proxies.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra 

20 Core

64gb Memory

Ventera 13.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you also still on 23.2? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup! My apologies, I usually check for updates before posting about issues. I'll give the update a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im on 23.3, and it still does it occasionally, but not as much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it!

(also, no apology necessary for not having upgraded; I just wanted to make sure it was still a 23.2 issue)

hopefully, 23.4 brings further improvements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had it happen since upgrading. Thanks for the reply and suggestion, Bruce. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated to 22.3, I'll update this thread if the issue is still there or not. 

I ended up just skipping 22.2 so fingers crossed 🤞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated to 23.3, I'll update this thread if the issue is still there or not. 

I ended up just skipping 23.2 so fingers crossed 🤞 

(corrected the version number)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to us yesterday -- running a brand new, full fat Mac Studio, and after allowing Premiere Pro to update to 24.4.1, we instantly began to encounter a memory leak that saw Premiere overspill its RAM allocation to the point of crashing our entire system. 3 hours of troublehsooting later, a phone call to Adobe confirmed they KNOW about the memory leak issue, but decided not to pull the update, or even inform anyone of the risk. We immediately went back to the previous version of Premiere, and the problem disappeared. Quite honestly, I cannot beleive Adobe has allowed this to happen. On top of the stress, we lost thousands in staff line, and missed a key client deadline, because of Adobe's lack of care. Never, ever upgrading an Adobe program in the middle of a project again (stupid us), and may abandon Adobe completely if this is the way they're going to treat Pro users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is brutal man. It's been really difficult this version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still occuring version 23.4!
IMG_1660.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This started happening to me. I've been troubleshooting for half a day and can't figure it out.

My video is 2 minutes long with basic effects, and I can't edit it for more than 5 minutes before having to force quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For your own sanity go back to 23.2 or earlier, the latest versions are seriously broken. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines