Exit

Mac Studio - Blackmagic Extreme 3 Bug Report

Participant ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Mac Studio 12.6.2 Apple M1 Max - Blackmagic Extreme 3 - Thunderbolt 3.0

Premiere Pro timeline/source window playback freezes after a certain amount of pause/plays. You can still move the play head across the timeline/source window, but with no updated/live playback through the reference monitor. The picture will be frozen on the frame when the bug has occurred.

The only way to resolve this is to restart Premiere Pro. If you press the space bar to pause/play repeatedly, you can enact this bug in around 2/3 minutes.

I have rolled Premiere Pro back to v22 and Blackmagic Video Desktop back a full version with the same bug being present.

Blackmagic Support have replicated the issue on their end - although they are unsure if the issue is Blackmagic or Adobe specific.

I would add - this bug is not present on our PC editing station running the same software and hardware.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
15 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Can you post screen shot of "Preferences>Playback..." and "Preferences>Audio Hardware..." so we can see how you have your system configured?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - The Extreme 3 is actually back at our reseller for repair as we thought it was possibly a hardware issue - Blackmagic have since confirmed they are seeing the exact same bug within their testing lab.

During the initial problem-solving phase, I did switch the audio hardware/playback setting to everything but the original settings without any success. No option within Audio Hardware fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is now affecting our PC systems - one with Ultra Studio PCI Cable Kit the other with a Decklink Card. Both Mac and PC's playback is locking up and won't restart until Premiere is restarted. Disabling Blackmagic Playback fixes the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the information I requested above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It's not the audio playback. Three systems / Mac and PC are experiencing this issue. Turning vision playback off fixes the issue - I leave Blackmagic audio playback enabled and the issue goes away. It's only when Blackmagic is in charge of visual playback does the issue return.

Blackmagic Support have acknowledged they are seeing this issue on their end and are 'looking into it'. It would be good if Adobe could lend some support.

This issue has only very recently made it's way to our PC systems. It was only the Mac systems that were originally affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PC 3.pngMac 2.pngMac 1.pngPC 4.pngHere are the settings on one of the Mac Studios and my home PC. The other PC at work uses UltraStudio. I've changed audio playback to system and Blackmagic. Only turning Blackmagic off in Playback fixes the issue - although this leaves us without visual playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It's not the audio playback."

I understand, but the audio controls the video (this is a very simple way to think of this, but they are connected in the code).

"It would be good if Adobe could lend some support."

That is what I am trying to do.

There was a bug fixed in 23.5 (I think, I can't remember exactly where but that is close to the correct number) that was causing the video playback to halt in certain cases with specific configuration of Transmit hardware devices.  Can you tell me what version of Premiere you are running on the affected computers?

The correct setup for Blackmagic devices is to have the "Prefs>Playback>Default Audio Device..." dropdown set to the Blackmagic Device, not set to Adobe Desktop Video.  And to set the Audio Hardware preference to any device but the Blackmagic device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am running the latest version of premiere on all systems. 23.6

I've tried setting the audio to every possible settings on all systems and it doesn't correct the issue.

Only disabling the video playback corrects the issue. I've not changed the settings on my home pc and the work pc and the issue has managed to find its way on to both when before it was the Mac only.

Blackmagic are aware of this issue and have replicated it on their end. Is someone from Adobe able to contact them directly? This is what I meant by lend a hand as their product team have so far been unable to source the core issue.

Audio is set to desktop audio on playback on my home pc as it's a decklink card only. It's only outputting an HDMI to the monitor and isnt connected to any speakers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please find attached a video showing Premiere Pro using the settings you've recommended (Although I don't get audio playback with Playback > Blackmagic as the decklink card is not connected to my speakers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've sent an email to you.  I can't replicate this locally, but there are a lot of variables that are unknown to me.  I do have one last question, what version of the Blackmajic driver are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

For many times the same problem with this configuration :

MAC Studio 2022 - Apple M1 Max - 64 Go - Black Magic Ultra Studio 4 K Mini - Adobe Première 22.6.4

Video Output Blackmagic SDI to JVC Monitor

Problem : - video freeze on the JVC monitor ( video output ) after working 30 min

- Adobe is also blocked. Saving is possible but no repons on the timeline of the project. ( space bar non repons to play the video )

Issue : changing set up on preferences 

Audio material : Output - HP MacStudio ( no Black magic )

Correspondace output : same 

Lecture : audio output Black-Magic - video output : black magic.

And it WORKS 🙂  Hope it is the same for you all. Kind regards - Philippeaudio material.pngaudio lecture.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forget - Blackmagic driver 12.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm still having editors complaining about this happening with the audio settings set to the above. This is across a PC and Mac running latest 24v Adobe Premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this? I can easily replicate this issue on PC's and Mac's running the latest v24 of Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update for anyone viewing this: Blackmagic and Adobe are aware of this issue. Adobe are working on a fix. This affects all Blackmagic Devices - there is no current fix/work around

Votes

Translate

Translate