Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MXF File read error after updating to Premiere Pro 2023

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just opened my projects after updating to the latest version of Premiere and all my MXF files are showing up squished with half the frame green.  I have no idea what happened.  When I open the files from Finder they look fine, and everything was working perfectly before the upgrade.  See attached image.  Same problem when viewing clips in After Effects as well.  HELP!  I'm on deadline and not sure what to do.  May try downgrading to the last version to see if that fixes it for the immediate project.

Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 5.20.28 PM.png

Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Hi All,
Sorry for this issue again. We have fixed it in the latest beta build(starting Beta 23.6.38). You should no longer see this half green frame with any of your MXF media files.

Please check out the latest beta build version from the creative cloud and let us know how it goes there.

You can download the latest Beta builds from Creative Cloud --> Beta apps --> Premiere Pro (Beta)/Media Encoder (Beta)
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/creative-cloud-public-beta.html

If you still fac

Votes

Translate

Translate
23 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Creative Cloud desktop application click on the video tab and in Premiere Pro click on "More info" and this window appears, click on the three dots again and choose "Other versions" so you can install the version again 2022, at least until you can work properly on 2023 (screenshot). Before you do that, you could try going into Project Settings and changing the Renderer in the General tab.

Captura de Pantalla 2022-10-30 a la(s) 21.04.10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Byron! Yep, I was able to downgrade which fixed the immediate problem.  Weird issue. Guess I should know better then to upgrade in the middle of a project.  Always thinking it will make things faster not break them, as I think I saw Premiere Pro was supposed to render AVC-Intra footage 2x faster on Applie Silicon.   

Here's more information in on my system and footage in case anyone out there can help solve it:

Apple M1 Max

Mac Os 13.0

MXF info:
Codec: AVC-Intra4K_LT

<Manufacturer>Panasonic</Manufacturer>
<SerialNo.>G7TUA0025</SerialNo.>
<ModelName>AU-V35LT1G</ModelName>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Sorry about the issue. Could you try switching the video renderer to "Software Only" and see if that helps? https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-how-to-change-the-video-renderer-in-prem....

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Kartika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kartika, thank you for the reply!  Turning off Hardware Decoding in the Media preferences of Premiere did make the footage show up normally.  (I tried changing the setting in project settings, but that was grayed out in my project.)

Before trying this I also tryed clearing the media cache, which did NOT solve the issue. 

It seems that turning off Hardware Decoding will result in much slower performance so this is not a real fix.  I'll keep working in v 22.6.2 until a real solution can be found.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @arcadiadb,

Sorry about this issue. We haven't seen this error so far for MXF AVCI files. Can you please share any problematic files? I will check the problem with that specific file locally and update you accordingly.

Thanks,
Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, here's a google drive link to the smallest file I could find.  It is happening on all my MXF files shot on this camera, new and old.  

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/111wFzp-SKrrFv9OSuk-8SqlpkBpKHDn2?usp=sharing

Let me know if there's a better way to send the file.  Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious if you're noticing the same issue and if you'd made any progress getting to the bottom of it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @arcadiadb,

Thanks for sharing the media file. I was able to reproduce this issue. We are looking into this.

Thanks,
Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same issues here use MXF footage from the Varicam LT.Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 3.11.40 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried out Premiere version 23.1 and the issue seems to persist.  Hopefully a solution can be found sometime soon!  Thanks for your work in investigating it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe!  Any updates on this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no progress... 😞MXF is realy important file format for SONY camera users.

Mod note: Edited for content. Please abide by Adobe Community Guidelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very important to fix this, can't import footage from our sony cameras (fs7 and pmw 200( in after effects 2023 that used to work in previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having MAJOR issues Premiere 2023 working with XMF files. Extremely laggy, and I contimnuously get the "Error retrieving frame ****" every few seconds. Tried using Neat Video to denoise some footage, which always worked flawlessly before, and now the whole app crashes. Mac Studio with M1 Ultra chip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Having an mxf error very much like those here: on M1 Mac laptop, version PPro 22.6. Get this error after playing the sequence (eventually) meaning it doesn't always happen, and it's randomly picking mxf files - meaning it doesn't give me an error on all of them. It's pretty random, and gets worse as I play it. Also seems to add more errors to other mxf files, the more I play the sequence, and maybe once I convert the file to another format and replace it, it moves on to another mxf file - almost like a virus.....Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 12.06.48 PM.png. I use mxf files A LOT - it's house format too, so this really is not good. The worst part: it drops in black frames on the export of the sequence. I have had to transcode clips that give me an issue in the past, but do not want to do that! Please tell me 2023 has fixed this issue.....???? Or some solution please? I'm about to start a 6 month longform show project and cannot have this keep happening. Thank you....Leslie from a cable network

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? I'm having similar issues where my MXF files just won't open in premiere and it completely crashes my machine. So frustrating.

I'm using Premiere 2023 on a Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope no solution yet.  Please private message @mayjain to keep it on his radar and make it a priority.  I'm stuck not updating, because I have an ongoing project that uses Varicam footage that still isn't supported in the new version! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Adam3046455195kv ,

Sorry for the problem. Can you please metion system/OS details and Premiere Pro version?
I see the file shared by you works fine with Premiere Pro 23.4 on M1 MacBook Air/macOS 12.5.1.
Any specific details which can help me reproduce this issue at my end?

Thanks,
Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,
Sorry for this issue again. We have fixed it in the latest beta build(starting Beta 23.6.38). You should no longer see this half green frame with any of your MXF media files.

Please check out the latest beta build version from the creative cloud and let us know how it goes there.

You can download the latest Beta builds from Creative Cloud --> Beta apps --> Premiere Pro (Beta)/Media Encoder (Beta)
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/creative-cloud-public-beta.html

If you still face this issue, please share your media files here https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/share.html and we will check on our end.

Thanks, Mayjain 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for looking into this Mayjain

I have downloaded the latest beta version and tested out the problematic files I have but unfortunately, I'm still getting the same issue with the 4096 x 2160p MXF file.
The screenshot attached is what happens with the files when opening them in Premiere.

Untitled.png

The problem exists in Media Encoder as well and I'm unable to encode them into other formats.

I have been able to encode the files using a Free video encoder called Handbrake but it's not ideal.

No issues with 1920 x 1080p or 3840 x 2160p files, only 4096 x 2160p

Here's a link to the three files - https://we.tl/t-JIW25FmHTZ

Any help would be hugely appreciated

Thanks,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah!  It's working on my end.  THANK YOU!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is *somewhat* fixed for me - I am able to use the denoise plugin, but rendering is still extremely slow on 3840 x 2160 MXF clips. Also, I am still constantly (like, literally every couple seconds) getting the "error retrieving frame..." error. However, no crashing on this attempt of using it. Still slow and frustrating though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello. 

There is a similar issue with Premiere 2023 today. 2 different computers are having the same problem with the same large project containing MXF files. The Program monitor will not show a frame or playback video whatsoever. Audio will playback, but no video. We've tried clearing the cache, changing the render settings, and unlinking and relinking media, but it just won't work. The only way to get the video to work in the Program is to use the F shortcut key and drag the video back down into the sequence. THEN it will show in Program. 

Any other ideas besides what I listed? This is a 10 min doc with 2 cams and I don't want to have to drag and drop each in/out point in again from Source. 

Votes

Translate

Translate