• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2024 - poor playback (M2 Ultra Studio)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We started edting a documentary on Premiere PRO 2024, on a clean install, with tons of footage (MXF Files / ProRes 422), on a MAC M2 Ultra Studio (128 gb) and the playback just doesn't work AT ALL. 

After being on the phone with a tech guy from Adobe and sharing access to my comp, the only solution was to disable INPUT AUDIO (microphone), and reset media caches & preferences. It worked for 30 minutes, then it started to lag and stutter.

Here's what I have going on:

• 4TB of 4k footage imported approx, with other footage (Mainly C70/R5C files and Gopros, drones DJI, Sony alpha's etc..)
  • Proxies are 720P ProRes 422 PROXY
  • (2) Monitors + Reference one (but even disabling the i/o interface doesn't help)
  • Media Cache on a separate drive from Project Files 
  • Drives are NAS SSDs, optimized at 10GB ethernet
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra with 128GB of RAM
  • Running latest macOS

Adobe sells this software for feature films, but it can't handle this YET.

Are any updates coming in? We can't finish our documentary that way. What would be the best solution?

Thank you.

Mod note: Title changed to reflect the issue.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
29 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to set the video previews from sequence settings to QuickTime rather than H.264

same for proxies (better go for QuickTime/Cineform proxies)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has obviously been checked by the whole team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's most likely the C70 and R5 .mxf files. We have the same issue right now and transcoding all the mxf into proress 422 fixed it for us. It's a pain but works for us until Adobe fixes it. Using proxies helps a little, but just having any canon .mxf files in your bin will cause issues, sometimes even if it's not on that timeline. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just sucks, I am infuriated too. My project is even quite smaller in volume on top of that. It not only freezes, it freezes THE ENTIRE COMPUTER. (Macbook Pro M1 Max 64 GB Ram, 4 TB Internal Memory)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues too! I am on PC. Fortunately, I didn't delete Premiere Pro 2023 so I am working off of 2023. Which it works just fine without any of the lags or crashes that I've experience with 2024. Although, Premiere Pro 2024 works with the Macs at my college. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue and that there's many of us. I hope they fix these issues soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try and go back to 2022 vsn. That's the last one the worked properly. Keep away from 2023, that's not good for your mental health.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Premiere Pro 2024 can't even play in timeline a 720 proxy at 1/8 resolution. When I downgrade to Premiere 2023 I can play the same footage without proxys at complete resolution. Premiere Pro promises 5x speed in timeline and delivers 10x slowers speed. As always, Premiere update is an update to a worst Premiere than the previous one

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to downgrade but i dont know how?? Everywhere I look, it sends me to the Elements version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any large projects like the OP lists should be done in Productions mode, never stand-alone projects.

Production is designed  to work with massive projects without slowdowns, duplications, all that crud. It's a bit different at first, but ... it was built for handling that workload.

The old single-project "stand-alone" process can't.

Premiere Pro Productions Introduction

Using Productions in Premiere Pro

Adobe Long-form and Episodic Best Practices Guide 

Jarle’s blog expansion of the pdf Multicam section: Premiere Pro Multicam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been two months of v24 and it's still at 24.0 with so many people complaining about bugs. The top feature of this release is 'stability' LOL Where are the updates to address the issues paying customers are having? How are weekly updates not being rolled out for the people that rely on your software to pay their bills? Adobe is worth over 200 BILLION dollars. There's no excuse for this. Whoever is in charge of the Premiere team needs to be swapped out with someone who can manage all of this better, as the existing situation is just straight up deceptive. (marketing that it's stable when it completely isn't.)

Last night I tried to do speed ramping in Premiere by copying and pasting work I've already done to a new clip (Something I've done many times in the past). It just wouldn't work this time. Half the clip glitched at the end, so I ended up not being able to finish the project in Premiere. I was forced to do it in DaVinci Resolve, which worked perfectly on the first try. (Their workflows are actually significantly better for slow mo speed ramping too. It's easy to make adjustments in comparison)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course people post here with the issues. But, comparatively ... there haven't been many bug/performance posts like we had with every major version release from 2015 on through about 2022. We'd have what's now an entire day's worth of new posts come in per hour back then.

Across the several million daily users, the general performance seems very good. For some users, due to apparently things either in their system or something, it sucks. I've  been on  the short end with sucky performance myself, and had to wait up to six months before I could run the new version. So you do have my sympathy.

Further ... I work for/with/teach pro colorists, mostly based in Resolve or Baselight. I work in Resolve daily, and participate on both the LGG colorists forums and the BM forums. The number of bug/performance posts "over there" has risen dramatically since BM has tried to copy Adobe's goal of being one app/system for all workflows, media, and hardware.

I do know that a number of Mac based editors have posted that 2024 was slow on their rigs, but in going through the OS security and permissions settings, suddenly 2024 was flying on their machine.

So ... hope you can figure out what's  the problem there. And it's good to have multiple options for everything ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @R Neil Haugen  - I've seen a number of your replies on here and always appreciate your detailed insights! A "legend," indeed." 🙂

This is not directly related to OP, but wanted to follow up on your last comment- could you expand a bit more on what security/permissions changes Mac users have been making to optimize for 2024? I'm working on an M2 Ultra and it performs pretty well already, but always looking to optimize further! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's been several comments on the "Adobe Premiere Pro Editors" facebook group. I think it was centered around giving Premiere several permissions to directly acccess something, and in general to do certain other things. Seemed like 3-5 settings were involved.

Not a Mac person, so ... although I did read through the posts, I don't remember the specifics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem. Try to disable GPU acceleration for decoding... In preferences..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2023 Dec 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had also problems with timeline lag. I still have, but I found a solution for proxy lag. My footage was recorded at different frame rat 59,8, 59,2, 60, 60,1fps.... Even making proxies it was sooo lagy. After modifing all of them to 60fps there was no problem. Now I have lag in other things, as for example enlarging a mate layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2023 Dec 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With those time rates, that's variable framerate media. VFR. The actual number of frames per second varies constantly which is a problem for NLEs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere 2024 is the worst update in using it for 15 years. It's so slow, buggy and I hate it. The auto tag function sucks up your resources and is absolutely useless. Please someone explain to me what it is used for. I think after this experience I am moving back to Avid for feature editing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's your experience, and I don't question it ... we each have our own. And the devs naturally need to hear about especially the specifics of what's screwed up.

Clearly, and plainly ... directly.

And as someone who works in Resolve also ... their current "ish" is probably easily their buggiest ever.

Ain't life a joy? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kind of agree, there is a lot of issues I have with exporting videos that aren't even using hefty motion graphics or anything like that. No issues with 2023 like at all. I don't know why this was much of an improvement. It's costing me money because every time I try to use their software to export I'm getting errors on behalf of their software that just seem like they have buggy stuff they need to figure out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very interesting.  I recently starting shooting on C70 and have been having all kinds of playback issues, constant beach ball anytime I click the mouse, etc.  No difference whether I toggle proxies on or off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the media data you're producing with the C70? It's good to get that to check against other issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get the best traction, please include the specific media and your hardware. "This sucks" doesn't actually tell anyone anything useful.

What media, what hardware, we can see where issues crop up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then no one knows what is sucking. Therefore no way to know what to fix. Pretty simple.

I understand the frustration, and I've pisted epic rants myself. But I also understand what is needed to be able to fix anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having these issues too, and I've tried adjusting every setting. No luck

Votes

Translate

Translate