Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

32-Bit QuickTime Support Ending - Premiere v12.0.0

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My team is now seeing this warning throughout our projects.  "32-bit QuickTime Support Ending"  -  essentially saying please transcode any media under this legacy format for the future.

What exactly falls under legacy 32-bit quicktime?  Is it certain codecs?  Or all QT MOV files?  If the later, that is kind of huge.

Thank you,

Nick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Here are the .mov formats we support natively -

Native Video Import:

* DNxHD/DNxHR

* JPEG

* PNG

* ProRes

* Cineform

* DV

* AVCI

* h264

* IMX

* MPEG2

* HDV

* HEVC

* XDCAM

* Uncompressed

* Animation (without delta frames)

Native Audio Import:

* Uncompressed

* AAC

* AC3

Native Video Export:

* Uncompressed

* DV

* Cineform

* DNxHD/DNxHR

* Animation

* ProRes (Mac only)

Native Audio Export:

* Uncompressed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm solely use this format for creating proxy files premiere (since we shoot very heavy raw footage and edit proxies off of a server). Premiere requires that the number of audio channels in the proxy footage matches the number of audio channels in the raw footage. When I shoot on a camera that creates 16 audio channels, I need a lightweight format that also can output 16 channels of audio to use as my proxy file. If the .mp4 h264 can do this my problem would be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow ok. Hey you might try Quicktime ProRes PRoxy, if you are on Macs?

I used it extensively for SLR material, and it looked good enough for rough screenings etc- Smaller file size than the original H264 compressed 7D files, but less CPU intensive to decode.

You'll have to create your own preset, as adobe is phazing out prores in favor of cineform- but the files are too heavy for your proxy needs.

Hope that works?

Best,

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention, we work cross platform and I'm unable to find a way to export pro-res on windows. I appreciate your help though, if you have any other ideas please send them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd look into dolby digital multichannel? I did a 5.1 show last year and thought it might support up to 16 channels. Gotta get back to work now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While obviously not a solution for everyone, I have had great success exporting to AVIs with the open source Ut Video codec as an intermediate lossless format. It comes in 4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4, RGB, RGBA, and various 10-bit "pro" flavors and is well aged, stable, and actively developed. My standard workflow now is to output to lossless AVIs with Ut Video 4:2:0 Rec.709 + 16- or 32-bit PCM audio and then compress the AVI to web-optimized H.264 MP4 using Handbrake. For shorter cuts where quality is paramount, i.e. clean graphics exported from AE,I would imagine that the Ut Video 4:2:2 codecs are roughly comparable to ProRes 422 (though not 10-bit, the 10-bit variants don't show in PPro export) and don't suffer from QuickTime expiration syndrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know how to install this on Mac? I downloaded the file but it doesn´t seem to have an installer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind. There´s a document on how to manually install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For your 16 channel audio and cross platform requirements, try DNxHD; either HD or HR LB8Bit.

It supports up to 32 audio channels. The HD variant seems to have a data rate of about 10 megs/sec, which may be too high for your proxy needs.

That's all I got :^],

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

This is several months old. But the quicktime h264 option is not a native export option, only native import. This is where you're having your issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question as octaviow - we are getting the 32-bit QuickTime Support Ending when using a ProRes encoding preset.  Are all these ProRes files we have been transcoding with this preset going to eventually be obsolete? 

It appears that there is a different ProRes encoding preset that does not generate the QuickTime Support Ending message.  Will certain ProRes files need to be converted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ProRes .mov files are fine.  So are H264 .mov files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Prores is not a problem.  Prores is a codec that supports 32 bits per channel.  That is different from a 32-bit codec.  No one on this thread has ACTUALLY answered the original poster's question.

32-bit codecs are the ones from the late 90's and early 2000's like Sorenson, Cinepak, etc.  Modern codecs are all ok!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know of away to ID or reveal the 32bit clips in question?

We routinely dig up older projects, and I'm thinking some of packaging graphics that are used a gagillion times may be the culprit, but I can't get the info.

I use the search function in the project panel and search bins all the time- It would be great if we knew what parameters to search for...

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 3.52.35 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for this. It's bad enough that it's happening and it could create grief down the years when looking back into old products. I've just opened a project with 200+ clips and had to work through all of them to find the single one responsible for the error by going back to each clip and reimporting it into a new project until I found the right one. A big fat flag would be really helpful here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok - maybe I'm just missing something obvious here (and I probably am) but the list you put out; are those the native codecs that you are currently supporting but will be dropping? Or the list that will continue to be supported? Because, it seems like many out there, ALL my files are either H.264 or Pro Res 422 & so its the difference between "Whew. I'm good" and "Oh. MY. God. I suddenly have a crap load of files to work on."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I read it mabs1​ is for the .mov container, h264 is supported on IMPORT, but not for EXPORT.

It's kind of confusing though, there are 2 lists floating around. One which is covers general codec support, and then one for the codecs supported within the .mov container.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response! The two lists are confusing! Plus a deadline would be good too! Sounds like I've still got some work to do to figure out which file format I need to start exporting in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're running macOS, you should still be able to export a .mov with H264 compression.  If you're on Windows, you'll only be able to export a .mp4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MABS1:

Apple ProRes and H264 are native to AV Foundation Frameworks (what Apple replaced QuickTime with).  So, if you're using macOS then "phew, you're good".

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Warren!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SteveHoag: will there be a way to easily identify offending media? In projects with dozens or hundreds of video files, it's really, really time-consuming to work out which files are a problem. I can't find a way of doing this, I just get a single message which relates to the whole project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is kind of an annoying epic fail. I just had to install a previous version because of the 32 bit issue. You can always install older versions and hang onto them in Creative Cloud. Thanks, Adobe for keeping the people working in the Documentary film world on our toes. Like we don't have anything better to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tracyofphotography  wrote

This is kind of an annoying epic fail. I just had to install a previous version because of the 32 bit issue. You can always install older versions and hang onto them in Creative Cloud. Thanks, Adobe for keeping the people working in the Documentary film world on our toes. Like we don't have anything better to do!

Considering that it's Apple that deprecated QuickTime back in 2013 with the intention of discontinuing it, it's amazing that we can still open .mov files in the Adobe video and audio applications at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please! THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw this message yeaterday too when I imported some AVC-INTRA from work. lol so no Dolby, no avc-intra. Wwooowwwwww

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines