• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4.2 update coming...

Engaged ,
Sep 25, 2009 Sep 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey kids - just read this and thought I'd pass it along...good news indeed.

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/adobe/story/matrox_and_other_3rd_party_i_o_vendors_with_cs4/

AVC-I native support...it's finally here. And after I just bought an EX3....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Sep 25, 2009 Sep 25, 2009

Shucks, I don't get to break the news on anything anymore...

Premiere Pro 4.2 does in fact add AVC-I and offers some additional fixes too.  Should be out soon.

Regards,

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 212 Replies 212
Sep 28, 2009 Sep 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, hope they bring HD export to the mac, and equalize the number of transitions with the PC version, and fix capture, yadda yadda.

Premiere might be better than FCP on the PC, but it sure isnt on the mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Antinet wrote:

wow, hope they bring HD export to the mac, and equalize the number of transitions with the PC version, and fix capture, yadda yadda.

HD export on the mac certainly exists now as you can export to just about any codec the Mac sees.

As for the # of transitions - well, I tend to think that the few that we didn't move over don't have that much impact.  I tend to think of them as the least used ones, but please tell us if there is a few that are absolutely essential to you.

Premiere might be better than FCP on the PC, but it sure isnt on the mac.

So many things I'd like to say, but shouldn't.  In the end, I think we have a very good NLE and one that opens up a lot of possibilities for the future.  Still, tell us how we should improve it - we'd like to know what makes you think FCP is better...

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on it Dennis, I just want to reword it so it sounds like a legit request, not a rant!

And as far as FCS vs PP CS4, the integration Adobe offers is pretty robust, at least in Windows. C'mon, real-time viewing between apps without rendering? That's hard to beat. Thumbs up for Adobe on that one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to reword it so it sounds like a legit request, not a rant!

Pauline,

That is the spirit. I fill in Feature Requests quite often for various versions of Adobe programs. I try to keep it simple, point out the need, and then my hope for implementation. Some have born fruit (probably not because of anything that I have written, but just due to volume of such requests), and some are still not yet included. These could be due to other issues, or just a difficult coding problem. I'll likely never know. Still, Adobe does read these, and they go into the database for prioritization. When the developers sit down, they look over these, plus many other reports. I keep the Feature Request/Bug Report link bookmarked, and also share it, as did Curt.

Keep the faith, and keep the communications open to Adobe. I feel that they do listen, and that they do care. Still, there are tons of Feature Requests, so just be patient. Heck, one day there might be a real "pre-flight" in Encore...

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dennis,

Thank you for weighing-in on the Functional Content issues, between the two platforms.

Going back a bit, a Mac-user compiled a list of the differences between the platforms. I've not been able to find it, to bump it up, but it does exist.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2009 Oct 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Antinet wrote:

....Premiere might be better than FCP on the PC, but it sure isnt on the mac.

Curious....can you elaborate on this?

Are there features missing on the Mac side vs. the Windows side?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 02, 2009 Oct 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, to the Mac user's defense, I don't know if that wonderful integration in Production Premium is all there like the Windows folks enjoy. It MIGHT be, I don't know enough about the Mac version. Mac folks are going to be very dedicated to FCP I suppose. However, the price for Apple's editor is the same as my upsell cost for the entire Production Premium suite, and look at all the apps I get! And, hardware is cheaper, without question. Bottom line is that I built a screaming i7 rig for $1500 less than the equivalent MacPro. That pays for a full Production Premium CS4. Hard to argue that FCP can be a better choice... what, for a few features here and there? What on earth is only doable in FCP that Premiere and After Effects can't achieve? I can't imagine NOT being able to right-click and shoot a clip on my timeline over to Photoshop CS4 Extended for some rapid-fire editing and then inhale it right back into Premiere. Is that available for the Mac? One thing they lack is the fact that Photoshop is 64 bit in Windows, and it is definitely speedier than 32 bit.

All in all, Premiere vs FCP is probably Ferrari vs Lamborghini... I just prefer a Ferrari hands down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, to the Mac user's defense, I don't know if that wonderful integration in Production Premium is all there like the Windows folks enjoy. It MIGHT be, I don't know enough about the Mac version.

Dynamic Link is the same between Mac and PC users.

Mac folks are going to be very dedicated to FCP I suppose.

Definitely - picking an NLE (or computer platform) becomes a very personal and emotional choice.

However, the price for Apple's editor is the same as my upsell cost for the entire Production Premium suite, and look at all the apps I get! And, hardware is cheaper, without question. Bottom line is that I built a screaming i7 rig for $1500 less than the equivalent MacPro. That pays for a full Production Premium CS4. Hard to argue that FCP can be a better choice... what, for a few features here and there?

Thanks for playing the role of salesman for me!  Glad to know that I'm not the only one..

What on earth is only doable in FCP that Premiere and After Effects can't achieve? I can't imagine NOT being able to right-click and shoot a clip on my timeline over to Photoshop CS4 Extended for some rapid-fire editing and then inhale it right back into Premiere. Is that available for the Mac? One thing they lack is the fact that Photoshop is 64 bit in Windows, and it is definitely speedier than 32 bit.

All in all, Premiere vs FCP is probably Ferrari vs Lamborghini... I just prefer a Ferrari hands down.

NIce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know us Jersey guys... call 'em like we see 'em.

I should clarify one statement I made about sending a clip to Photoshop and back to Premiere... when I said "is that available for the Mac", I meant from FCP to Photoshop and back. But I figure you knew that!

I tell ya Dennis, if you've got a 5D2 and you're doing both stills and video, the PP suite is priceless. It doesn't matter how good FCP is, it's too separate. In one environment I can edit stills, build video, twang it in After Effects, even tweak video is Photoshop (every frame in a separate layer!), fix the sound in Soundbooth (and even add an audience track now that SB does multitrack), encode encode encode to outputs all over the place, or, build my DVD in Encore, add killer images to the DVD that I edited in Photoshop, add artwork I drew in Illustrator, and even dump it into a Flash-Ready webpage (let's not forget how much better Bridge is now!). And from a still side, ACR is more insane than ever... the Adjustment Brush alone is worth the price of admission.

How can that be beat? Amongst the video professionals I don't have any experience to bring to the debate table if the subject is only NLE, but after YEARS of audio engineering and still photography, adding the new leg called video to this mix makes the Prod Suite a no brainer, at least for me.

Oh, let's not forget that you can add Audition 3.0 for only $99! And if that wasn't enough, there's still more on the list (On Location, etc).

It's a bee-yoo-tee-ful thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the replies / insights; much enjoy reading them!!

I suppose one could have a MacPro and install FCS on the Mac side and (via BootCamp) install CS4 on the Windows side .... and have the best of both worlds....maybe?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're going Mac, just use Production Premium on the Mac...  You'll still have the best of both worlds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there features missing on the Mac side vs. the Windows side?

There are Effects and Transitions, that are included in the PC version, but not the Mac version of PrPro. Do not know what else might be different, platform to platform.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This THREAD will give you a pretty complete list of the missing Effects and Transitions.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2009 Sep 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this update allow to export XDCAM formats from Premiere Pro CS4 as it is possible to do it from most professionals video editing softwares (Edius, Final Cut, Vegas...) ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There he goes all over again!

I thought I had told you to let it go in the Repaire but I might as well talk to a brickwall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I told you before:

Those who tell, don't know. Those who know don't tell. Just wait and see.
Harm Millaard is online now Report Post  Edit/Delete Message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a bug fix list yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 03, 2009 Oct 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came across this:

In the 4.2 update there are a couple of major changes in Adobe Media Encoder which could help Encore CS4 in some cases.

Look for 2 CS4 updates, one on Premiere Pro (4.2) and one on Media Encoder (4.2). We are targeting the end of the month.

Testing is going well. A few sneaks:  AVC Intra support, FCP 7 Import, and improvements to HD to SD down convert. I’ll do a full write up on my http://blogs.adobe.com.davtechtable as well as new video showing the features and changes.Should post mid Oct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric Addison wrote:

Came across this:

In the 4.2 update there are a couple of major changes in Adobe Media Encoder which could help Encore CS4 in some cases.

Look for 2 CS4 updates, one on Premiere Pro (4.2) and one on Media Encoder (4.2). We are targeting the end of the month.

Testing is going well. A few sneaks:  AVC Intra support, FCP 7 Import, and improvements to HD to SD down convert. I’ll do a full write up on my http://blogs.adobe.com.davtechtable as well as new video showing the features and changes.Should post mid Oct.

There goes Dave blabbin!

He's got a great blog with how to videos and will be doing one on the Premiere Pro 4.2 release.  I'm playing with Premiere Pro 4.2 but still have yet to grab the Adobe Media Encoder update....You have no idea of how many servers are splattered all over the place!

All of the above is comfirmed.

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dennis- can you say if FCP export is included in the update? I know this is a feature that's been mentioned in the past, and I'm just wondering if that's still something being worked on or if it's put on hold or abandoned.

Also, you've got a great blog too! What did you use to create the opening to your videos - was it AE or something else? If AE, I'd like to see a tutorial on how that was done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FCP export is not to my knowledge a part of Premiere Pro 4.2.  We're still very much looking at it though and I'm playing with it.  One of the 'problems' with FCP export is that FCP just doesn't understand all of the codecs and formats that Premiere Pro does so if you're doing P2, it presents a different set of challenges.  Still, we know that this is valuable to many, so I would say, "Stay tuned."

Opening video - Aharon Rabinowitz of Creative Cow and Red Giant fame did it for me and I've asked him if he's done a tutorial on it.  Of course, it's all After Effects.

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 05, 2009 Oct 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will there be an improvement in Multicam editing in 4.2? I (and others) have found Multicam to be very slow and sluggish in 4.1. I revert to XP and CS3 for multicam editing at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mark__m wrote:

Will there be an improvement in Multicam editing in 4.2? I (and others) have found Multicam to be very slow and sluggish in 4.1. I revert to XP and CS3 for multicam editing at the moment.

Not to my knowledge, but I'll check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Here are some links to threads discussing 4.1 Multicam problems:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2254403#2254403

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2030171#2030171

and

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2046287#2046287

I've experienced all these things, and am really looking for a fix. I'd read elsewhere that multicam issues had been acknowledged by Adobe and that a fix was in the works... here's hoping!

cheers

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2009 Oct 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you (or anyone) know if CS 4.2 will support that latest Red files (Red v21)?

Red's new api greatly improve image.....which is supported by FCP but not Premiere/AE as yet.

Last update was via a Red/Adobe CS4 installer patch. Red developers tell me their waiting on Adobe.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines