Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4K playback and editing issues at Premiere Pro 2018

Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Recently switched from HD to 4K camera. And have issues with 4K playback in Premiere Pro.

Before using 4K PC was upgraded.

At the moment it is 6 core Xeon CPU

32 GB ECC RAM

2 GPUs:

* Quadro K4200

* Tesla K20

SSD drive

Windows 10

It was a total disaster before last Nvidia driver update, after installing latest driver (2 days ago) it is better but still there is an issue.

When I try to preview footage it start playing okay but in 20-30 sec it is just slowing down significantly. I've noticed that GPU usage during first 20-30 secs is up to 70% but after that it drops to 5-6% or less. When I pause the playback for 2-3 secs and resume it GPU usage will go up to 70% and will work for 20-30 secs again.

Any suggestions?

GPUSniffer results attached.

GPU.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPUs are used for certain things and effects, like scaling, Lumetri & most other color, Warp, and the other effects on the GPU-accelerated effects. So at times your GPUs will be sitting there bored.

Which camera and what type of media? 4k from a RED will probably float through like butter on a hot day. 4k from a drone or DSLR/mirrorless camera in H.264 will choke the computer. Because the latter is long-GOP interframe, rather than an intraframe codec. Intraframes are larger on disc but very easy on the CPU/RAM/cores/threads resources. Interframes are much smaller files on disc, but drastically more work for the CPU/RAM/cores/threads to both de-encode then de-compress.

For any of the latter media, it's best to make Cineform proxies from the included Cineform presets. The 960x540 (I think that's the pixels) works quite well, really.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also: the less compressed the codec is (such as RED) the more SSD/HDD bandwith it needs to be streamed properly.

I would also try to have the assets on a different disk than the system disk (you just specified you have 1 ssd).

For instance, I need a dual SSD raid to properly playback a full 4k uncompressed edit of the movie I'm working on.

Hope this helps,

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Canon XF400 camera, and it is H264.

I totally understand that GPU is used for certain things, but while they are working playback is okay.

I was going to order secondary SSD, maybe will use RAID as you mentioned. It looks like data is passing to GPUs for some period of time than PC just chokes. Maybe separate and faster SSD will help.

Than I will need to figure out how to fight with Export time. 10-15min 4K video takes up to 1-1.5 hr to export.

I read thread about NVEC plugin, but I am not sure about using 3rd party extensions. An thoughts about this?

Anyway, thank you both for your time and suggestions.

Regards,

Oles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I recommend using Cineform proxies for all H.264 media.

Work offline using proxy media |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines