Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

adding LUT's to Lumetri color?

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'd like to add more LUT's to the dropdown menue in PPro cc 2015. Anyone knows the correct folder / path?

Thanks

Martin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Hi Martin,

With 12.1, there is a new feature related to color correction and the Lumetri Color panel for adding LUTs to your editing system much more easily than before.

In the past, users had to add a single LUT at a time for any custom LUTs or packages of multiple LUTs. This became quite cumbersome in a good number of workflows and lead to unexpected behavior when users added LUTs incorrectly via hacking the app package.

This feature allows you to create a location for adding LUTs to Premiere Pr

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 104 Replies 104
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added a default LUT on my Macbook pro running latest El Capitan by going to system/applications/adobe premiere pro cc 2015/adobe premiere pro cc 2015.app (right click, select show package  contents)/lumetri/Luts/Technical

If you have premiere open, close it then reopen.  I shows up in the drop down list now.

NOTE: As of CC 2017 (12.1): Please do not add looks inside the app package any more. There is a new folder you can make. See the release notes for details or scroll down in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2016 Feb 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works perfectly. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2016 Mar 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be  careful if you add LUTs to the /technical folder under Premiere.  I added the Sony LUTs for my FS7.  Opened a previously edited project and all the color work was shifted to a LUT four LUTs above the one that had been placed on each clip in the original edit.  The 4 Sony LUTs were at the top of the dropdown list so the choice for each color corrected clip moved up the list.  This was the same on any old project.  So I moved the LUTs to another location and all returned to as it had been.

Bug??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick 1949,

I am running into the same problem - as we add new LUTs the system does not seem to be referring to the name of the LUT, but the placement order - thus changing the color correction (LUT designation) on previous projects. This is definitely causing issues.  You mentioned you removed the LUTs you had added and everything returned to normal.  Within Lumetri, are you browsing for your LUTs?  If so, do you happen to know if you move between systems, will the LUT link remain?  For example, we have a project on an external drive that moves between editing systems  (the systems are in different cities), if we put the LUT on the portable drive, will it automatically link?  I'm going to test this myself, but you are the first person I have run across that is having the same problem, and thought I would check.

If we did want to keep the LUTs in the Technical folder, could we rename the new LUTs so that the would appear at the end of the list?  For example, I have a LUT named "AC_A7S_709.cube".  Would it work if I changed the name to something like, "Z1_AC_A7S_709.cube"?  That way we could add LUTs and in essence keep the order.

Also, if you are willing to share, where did you get your Sony LUTs?  I have found a few, but nothing directly from Sony.

Thanks Rick!  I really appreciate any guidance you can give!!

Beth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

we are facing the same issue. We tried to ad the personal LUTs to the technical folder, and the alphabetic order is messed up, so the LUTs in older projects are also messed up.

So we went back to the standard way of using LUTs with browsing to them every time ... not a good solution 😕

But with the new version of premiere (2015.3), the technical LUT-dropdown-list has become significantly shorter!

So I tested it with an old project where I knew the used technical LUT that`s gone in 2015.3 - when I open it with Premiere 2015.3, the LUT is stil there, but listed as an browsed-to-LUT (between "none" and "browse" in the list).

I opened the location with "browse", and premiere refers me to the "Legacy" folder (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.3\Lumetri\LUTs\Legacy).

My conclusion: this LUT was not saved by the position in the dropdown-list, as it is relinked to the correct one in an other folder in the new version of Premiere.

So, perhaps, in the new version 2015.3, the technical LUTs are saved by name?

I then tried this with personalized LUTs instead of "old-version-dropdown-list-LUTs", after I added new personal LUTs to the "technical" folder....

NO, THE LUT IS STILL EXCHANGED BECAUSE THE DROP-DOWN-LIST IS SORTED BY NAME

Anyone can confirm that?

NOTE: As of CC 2017 (12.1): Please do not add looks inside the app package any more. There is a new folder you can make. See the release notes for details or scroll down in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi daniellattner,

With the new version of premiere (2015.3), the technical LUT-dropdown-list has become significantly shorter!

These LUTs were originally designed for SpeedGrade. As I understand it, they break certain kinds of footage a lot more often than those designed for Lumetri. I believe they were removed for a reason. Any attempts to use them with current projects should be done with that in mind. From what I've been told, unless you need backward compatibility, it's not worth your time to reinstall them. In fact, that should be avoided.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RickG,
Sorry for your negative experience. It seems like this issue is a growing one, so I would encourage you and others on the post to give feedback to the engineering team using the form I linked to below.

Be  careful if you add LUTs to the /technical folder under Premiere.  I added the Sony LUTs for my FS7.  Opened a previously edited project and all the color work was shifted to a LUT four LUTs above the one that had been placed on each clip in the original edit.  The 4 Sony LUTs were at the top of the dropdown list so the choice for each color corrected clip moved up the list.  This was the same on any old project.  So I moved the LUTs to another location and all returned to as it had been.

Bug??

It's not a bug as you should not be tampering with the application package. The development team uses a lot of different techniques to make Premiere Pro function as it should under the hood, it's best not to add or remove items to the application package or undesirable results can occur like the one you mentioned.

You should be adding LUTs using the Browse function. If the Browse function is not working, not detecting your LUTs, or not functioning as you would like to have them function—then that would be the bug. Make a bug report here. Likewise, if there are any feature requests you'd like to make to make the feature work as you'd like it to, as well, you can use the same form.

We cannot assist or advise on any issues related to tampering with the application package. Very sorry about that.

Kind Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been beating my head with this same issue! Here's how I got it to work for Premiere CC 2015 on MAC...

Mac HD -> Applications -> Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015 -> Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.app (right click to "show package contents") -> Contents -> Lumetri -> LUTS -> Technical Folder (creative folder didn't work) -> Copy and paste your .cube file into Technical folder (don't drag and drop, MAC doesn't like drag and drop).

I restarted Premiere, went into Lumetri Color window...in the Basic Correction heading I chose the Input LUT dropdown menu and BOOM, it was there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to add Lumetri to Adobe After Effects ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

amarbaysgalanc95388599 wrote:

How to add Lumetri to Adobe After Effects ?

in After Effects, I select media in the Timeline> up to top menu> select Effect> drop down menu> Utility> slide over to pop out list> choose Lumetri Color

(I suppose you could achieve from After Effects - Effect and Presets> Utility> Lumetri Color)

then in After Effects - Effect Controls> arrow down fx Lumetri Color> arrow down Creative> and beside Look ' None' - I arrow down > pop-up menu and go the route of [custom]> pop-up 'Select a Look or LUT' and guide to my Look

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 03, 2016 Jul 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this same problem with missing LUMETRI LOOKS (Sixties 2 and Bleach Bypass 1) in the 2015.3 update. Is this still the recommended way to get them back? It is the only thing holding up a longterm project - since it was entirely unexpected to lose looks in an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 03, 2016 Jul 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reply here too demi14 because it helped you, so it might help others with same, as in getting look or lut to show in dropdown menu

I see in Premiere Pro 2015.3> Workspace> Color> Lumetri Color> Creative> Look

- that it drops down list from

-  Windows(C)> Program Files> Adobe> Adobe Premiere Pro 2015.3> Lumetri> LUTs> Creative

so, I paste the SpeedGrade LOOK there, inside PP> LUTs> Creative

and now it is in PP> Lumetri Color> Creative> Look - drop down menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dummergold,

From what I've been told, you shouldn't reinstall these as they were designed for SpeedGrade not Lumetri, which have different compatibilities. Only reinstall those you need for project compatibility or do so at your own risk. More info: Re: adding LUT's to Lumetri color?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 07, 2016 Jul 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin, I will take your advice and type out my thoughts to the matter.

The link you provide is for this exact same thread. I am aware of this thread and the one issue that stands forward with it to me was rickg1949 (post 43, March 2 2016) and Beth A Edwards (post 45, March 10 2016) - with having adding LUTs to the list, shifts all other previously edited LUTs.

I do like Beth A Edwards thoughts, with renaming the LUTs to appear at the bottom of the folder. I did not test out that, I only tested adding one specific SpeedGrade LOOK with 'same name' and re-named to 'aaa,,,' (start of list).

As for Magellan14 (post 56, July 6 2016), with LUT causing oddity, I paste thread link to After Effects post from December 1 2015, with answer from Tim Kurkoski (Janunary 14 2016), which is not where I get my 'adding LUTs to list', but it is where I get my 'adding my LOOKs through the Creative> Look> Browse' whether it be After Effects or Premiere Pro. So, Magellan14, please try the 'Browse' path, and do start a new thread (if not already, I will seek), as I will not reply in this thread clutter.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2021953

I just figured with issues being acknowledged in January 14 2016 and later, and new release, but I suppose 'Do Not mess with the list'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 03, 2016 Oct 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know how to group luts within folders in the "creative" pull down menu in Lumetri? For example, when you add a Deluts package in the creative folder:  \Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015\Lumetri\LUTs\Creative\Deluts", the luts are mixed together alphabetically with all the other luts on the system rather than grouping them in a "Deluts" folder. When you have many different libraries for luts, this makes it quite difficult to navigate through them all. It would help if P Pro CC would keep the way the luts are organized within the file system.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2016 Oct 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as I've noted before and above ... this would be a great assist to working within Lumetri panel. But ... it ain't how it's setup now.

So ... a feature/bug report filing, please ... this is really the one way to get such requests to and tabulated for the team managers and upper managers, who determine engineering budgets & tasks. They never respond, but it does get to all concerned ...

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

The one thing you can do at the moment is rename your custom LUTs using a prefix, essentially, so that it groups them by that at least.

Say ... all your Red Giant Magic Bullet Looks you give an MBL prefix, and those from Ground Control have a GC prefix ... that sort of thing. Or put a letter in front of the prefix, so that they come up in the order you want them to, and will all come up before the built-in ones.

A semi-clunky workaround for sure, but a few minutes doing this manually saves a TON of time when working.

And do file that feature request ... this is so needed.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After messing a lot, I have figured out a solution which involves no converting or other software use, just the notepad.

Create a simple dummy .look file (from Lumetri/Looks folder) by just copying any .look file and deleting all of the correction parameters inside the .look file using Notepad. (Open it as an administrator to save to same file in Program Files directory).

Once you got the dummy file, then import the LUT you want to Lumetri/LUTs/Creative. Copy the LUT name (with the .cube extension).

Then make a copy of you dummy .look file (to save one more for future use), open with notepad and change the <LUT> parameter at the end of the text to the LUT name you have copied.

Once that is done. Rename your new .look dummy file to a preferred name you want to show up on the Creative tab.

Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting ....following your steps, I got two files showing up in the Creative tab drop-down.

The first is the LUT itself, which shows in the preview window without a name at the bottom.

The second is clearly the Look file referencing the LUT, and it shows up with all parameters of the LUT applied plus the name of the LUT across the bottom of the preview window.

I think there's a step I'm not getting?

• copy a look file
  • delete the section between "parameters" with all the adjustments
  • replace the name in the bottom section between quotation marks with the name of the LUT
  • rename the dummy Look file to the same as the LUT
  • put both in the Creative tab folder

This seemed to be your steps.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way this works is that, the creative tab uses two files to make the final look, the first one is the .look file from Lumetri/looks, the second, a LUT file from Lumetri/LUTs folder. The 1st file modifies the final output, but also contain a link to the LUT .cube (or any ending) file. Both them combined gives the final look.

However, we could use the custom LUT file if we just made and used a .look file, which only links to the wanted LUT file, while not modifying the final color correction.
I added about 20 LUT myself so far. I'll add more once I need, because this process takes some time and it is kinda unconvienient to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still not understanding the process, I guess ... as I've got the two files showing up in the Creative tab drop-down, both the full LUT and the Look that references that LUT.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Creative tab drop-down menu should not register any other than .look files. If the .look file in "Lumetri\Looks\Cine Looks" inside has a reference at the bottom to the wanted LUT file (.cube (or any other)) placed in the Lumetri\LUTs\Creative, then if you select the name of the .look file in the dropdown menu it should link to the wanted LUT file and the color correction should be applied. However, you want to make sure that the .look file does not change the color correction, as in every default presets it contains some changes.

EDIT: I just fount you edited your post there. 1. The LUT file is not supposed to go to "Lumetri\Looks\Cine Looks". This directory is only for .look files. The LUT file should go to "Lumetri\LUTs\Creative" . 2. You dont need to necessary rename the .look file to the original LUT file, that you have placed in the "Lumetri\LUTs\Creative". Give it a name you want to show up in the Premiere drop down menu. 3. In the preview box, the name should show up. I noticed this myself, that after loading the new files into the Premiere, it applied the color correction onto the preview image, but the name did not showup. After I kept pressing the arrow back and forward, it finally appeared. Maybe the software can't or does not register it at first. I just found the solution today, so I can't tell you more about the issue with name bar on the Lumetri look preview.

I'm sorry I can't explain you this clear enough, but I can give you my own personal notes I made today about this issue .
(It is just a screenshot of a MS word file I have made) I think you won't need to copy anything as you just need to delete the text inside the blue text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the PrPro folder for the Creative tab in the most recent version released, there are only 3 .look files, there are some .cube's for a few "film" matching settings, and the rest are .itx forms of a LUT. The latter ones are the ones created by the SpeedLooks Labs, all with the SL as the first part of the name, as in "SL BIG LDR" ... which is a SpeedLooks file in a .itx form of LUT.

The Creative tab drop-down "sees" .cube, .look, and .itx files equally. And there is no "Cine Looks" folder anymore.

So I think you must be working in an older version, which is where we're seeing differences?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm using an older version for compatibility with some plugins. I actually did not know that the issue was fixed in the latest version. So my posts there are kinda useless then. If the drop-down menu registers the .cube (.itx and other LUT file types) then there should be no problem for you by default. In older versions the drop-down menu does not register non .look files.

I though this was still a issue, so as I fount a, in my opinion, more convenient solution than listed in this thread, I wanted to share it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ABrikosis,
It would be great if you edit your posts with the version you are discussing. Otherwise, it's too confusing to the thousands of people visiting this exceedingly popular post (nearly 100,000 views to date). I can also branch out your posts to a separate thread if you wish to discuss your legacy workflow in detail.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I will not edit my posts anymore, untill I update my software.
No, I don't need a separate thread, as I'm not having a problem with this. I did not know this issue was fixed in latest versions before posting. I just wanted to help others, who might be struggling with this issue in (as I fount out right now) older versions of Premiere.

You could move or address my solution as for older versions of Premiere Pro if that is necessary.

I'm sorry if I misguided someone.

Have a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines