Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro 2021 - GPU Memory Leak

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We have a serious problem that prevents us from working. When editing UHD1 (Sony PXW-FS7 XDCAM), 4K or 6K (e.g. RED Dragon or Komodo R3D) footage, making some color grading etc. the VRAM fills up pretty fast and the preview goes black all of a sudden. It can happen after seconds of editing, especially when doing some color correction on raw footage. After restarting the program, it works for a short period, but after some time, the problem comes back. Everytime! We really can't work that way.

Our workstations:
HP z8

CPU 2 x Intel Xeon Silver 4114 2.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM
GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB, driver 471.11 Studio
and
HP z820
CPU 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2640 2.50 GHz, 32 GB RAM
GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 8 GB, driver 471.11 Studio

The problem occurs on both machines alike. Is there a solution? Thank you!
TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like a bug. That being said Premiere Pro buffers out several frames in advanced to VRAM. 6K R3D files might be to hard on the GTX 1080 Ti. 6K R3D is a lot of data to store to VRAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Andy 1968, Thank you for your response!

Unfortunately, we get the same error with Sony XDCAM MXF-UHD1-Files. It doesn't happen as fast, but it happens. The culprit seems to be color grading tasks in particular. We use the comparison view and built in color grading tools of Premiere pro (Lumetri color). No external plugins. The comparison view alone almost doubles the VRAM usage. And every subtle color edit fills the VRAM more and more. We can reproduce it within seconds, even with just one clip in the timeline.

So my question is: How much VRAM is really needed to work with R3D 6k files without major issues like that? We can't be the only ones with this kind of problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi !

As Andy said I will say that the GPU might not be powerfull enough to work on that kind of footage, so, as soon as you do color correction, the GPU can't handle it anymore. 

Hope you find a solution !

G.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems the Sony files can be up to 600 MBPS. That is a lot of data. Does switching to 1/2 resolution help? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what if you render IN/OUT everytime you do a color correction, even tho it's annoying to do? 

G.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue.  I'm currently editing a 90 minute stage show and began encountering this problem recently when making HSL or colour wheel adjustments on the RED angle (DSMC2 8K Helium Weapon shooting 6K).  Performance had been great before making Lumetri HSL/Colour wheel adjustments.  This angle is joined with multiple Sony FX6/A7Siii streams, Canon C100 and Insta360 One X2 footage, but I only have gpu memory leaks when adjusting colour on the RED stream.  In task manager, I can see the vram spike to full and hold there until I close/reopen the program, but ofcourse the program hangs when trying to close it, so I'm losing a lot time to this issue everytime I make an adjustment.

CPU: Intel i9 9900K (stock clocks)
RAM: 64gb Corsair Dominator 3000mhz
GPU: Gigabyte RTX2080 8gb (w/471.41 studio driver)
MEDIA: Editing off SSDs solely

My Premiere version is v15.2.0 - there is an update available, but I won't be installing it until this project is over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you get a black preview aswell, as soon the VRAM maxes out doing colour adjustments on RED 6K footage? We are on Premiere 15.4.0, but it happend on 15.2.0, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I begin adjusting colour and the preview window goes black.  Check task manager and the vram is full. I can temporarily see the preview window again for a bit if I move the playhead by hitting play, dragging it with my mouse or using the arrow keys but it eventually the stops showing anything and I need to restart the program.  Everything works fine again until I make a colour adjustment on the RED stream.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you ever find a solution?

i have been struggling with this FOR YEARS!

edting 8k RED files with a 2080Ti card and if i do a minor curve adjustments with lumetri, the vram just spikes until it's depleted and then black screen until a restart.

It's unbeliveable 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never really found a permanent solution to this. Sort of a workaround is to do color adjustments via adjustment layers. But that is by far no solution to the core issue here, which is a serious GPU memory leak. It's up to Adobe to fix this once and for all. But I'm afraid this will never happen, since it's been there for ages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We tested the newly released '22 version and all I can say, is, that the problem is still not fixed. Has Adobe even ever acknowledged this? Is there any chance to get directly in touch with Adobe experts on that matter? Every ticket I made resulted in just some useless basic troubleshooting, but nothing really helpful. And the workaround with adjustment layers doesn't always reliably work, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here for me. It's unreal frustrating and like you, I tried multiple attempts with customer service and it's always the same generic answers that fade out into nothingness.

I have no idea on how to REALLY get Adobe's attention. I suppose the company is just too big and don't care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any reliable Information if MAC-Systems are affected, too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any news regarding this issue? Especially, if GPUs with more VRAM, e.g. the Nvidia Quadro A4000, can avoid this issue or if a MAC isn't affected at all. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to know if this has been solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't edited red footage in a couple of years now I have a project and this is a show stopping bug! Adobe can you please take a look? We are using high end GPUs here (2080ti) and it will playback perfectly before crashing out! 

scrozier_0-1645210074064.png

GPU Ram fills up and then the program monitor dies! 

Specs:

Windows 11

AMD 3960x CPU

GTX 2080ti GPU 11GB Latest studio Driver 511.79

128GB RAM DDR4

Running Footage off PCIe4 SSD

Latest Stable Premiere: 22.2.0 (128)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really a full workaround but I'm having a bit more stability if I apply a lut or corrections in the red source settings vs trying to do it with Lumetri which seems to cause the memory leak. Not at all ideal but hopefully get me through this project.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem working with R3D. Lumetri, masks, text, etc etc. VRAM (24GB !!!?) maxes out and screen goes black. Have to restart premier. Unacceptable.

RTX 3090

128gb RAM

i97600k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@adobe Surely you must be aware of this issue common!?  How the heck do we solve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a solution that is currently working for me. 

After sticking with PP2020 for the last couple of years, I finally updated to 2022 and found this is still a massive issue. I even went as far as upgrading my GPU to a RTX A4000 to try and resolve this, eventually PP would still consume all 16GB of VRAM and crash whenever working wtih Red footage. 

The workaround that has worked for me is launching the console for PP (CRTL + F12), selecting "Debug Database View" and then set "GF.RedGPUDebayer" to false. 

Since I've done this, its been solid as a rock even with my old 2060 Super installed. I might send that A4000 back given its working smoothly with this workaround!

Hope this helps someone...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Giving this a go. Will report back with any issues... @stockley5 what's the downside to this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I could figure out, mainly increased load on the CPU but certainly seemed more stable for me - days after this I switched to Mac so haven't tested as rigorously as I otherwise would have liked! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, so far it's working and if this holds up I can actually do my job again. It's been months, almost a year actually, that this program has hampered my career. I spent over 8 hours on helpline and got them to admit the presence of the bug.

You are a saint. Adobe stinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was working for a bit but it really was painful to skip GPU processing after dropping so much $$ on a 3080ti. 

the other thing that has been a game changer for my machine has been to strictly put lumetri on a grouped adjustment layer. Haven't had a crash since doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines