Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro 2021 - GPU Memory Leak

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We have a serious problem that prevents us from working. When editing UHD1 (Sony PXW-FS7 XDCAM), 4K or 6K (e.g. RED Dragon or Komodo R3D) footage, making some color grading etc. the VRAM fills up pretty fast and the preview goes black all of a sudden. It can happen after seconds of editing, especially when doing some color correction on raw footage. After restarting the program, it works for a short period, but after some time, the problem comes back. Everytime! We really can't work that way.

Our workstations:
HP z8

CPU 2 x Intel Xeon Silver 4114 2.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM
GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB, driver 471.11 Studio
and
HP z820
CPU 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2640 2.50 GHz, 32 GB RAM
GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 8 GB, driver 471.11 Studio

The problem occurs on both machines alike. Is there a solution? Thank you!
TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair - I can imagine to be fair, 3080ti is quite a thing to drop in and still face issues!

If I use premiere again, I'll be sure to try your adjustment layer workaround 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear 🤙 - Adobe is awful - since posting this I've fully switched to Resolve - it's a curve but honestly, stability is king and Resolve has it - I actually enjoy editing again using something I'm not panicking about crashing every few edits! Took me a long time to switch but honestly, can't recommend it enough after the last couple of months with it 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm slowly doing the same, realized premiere pro was playing with us after I saw the same shot on Davinci and wow, magic, it was sharp while it was blury on premiere. This is sad but it sounds like they don't wanna fix any quality or preview issue. 

G.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly same issues on my PC as you and I think I found a solution by accident, it's a little strange and a bit annoying but works for me.

Open the Task Manager to monitor the GPU memory while editing your project.

Reduce the size of the task manager window so that it isn't too instrusive but large enough for you to see vram usage.

Here's the strange bit. While working on your project, keep an eye on the vram, as it starts approaching maximum usage, simply tap the task manager window and watch the memeory fall off a cliff. (see attached picture)

Then resume working on your project.

It is annoying because you might have to tap the Task Manager window every 10-20 seconds while you're editing, but works wonders for playback.

Never let the vram reach it's maximum level or it won't come back down again. 

Let me know if this works, I would be interested to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WHAT! Switching to activity monitor somehow clears the rendered frames in the VRAM?

going to try this soon. That sounds wild and it sounds less painful than constantly restarting premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines