• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro CC Glitches Screen & Crashes Computer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing this problem for about three weeks now. I am editing on a MacBook Pro with 2.4 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250SSD, Thunderbolt to 3TB drive, and a thunderbolt-DVI adapter to Apple Cinema Display. I am editing 4K RED EPIC footage and my computer is wigging out on me.

I have been editing high quality footage on this machine with these drives and settings for a while. I originally thought this was a CUDA issue or graphics card issue. I switched to OpenCL and edited for a while and had the same issue again. I even took my machine to Apple and they put a new logic board and graphics chipset in it because we thought that would solve the issue. Again, same problems. I originally thought this might be just a Premiere Pro issue, however today I was exporting a 10 minute 4K, downgrade to 1080p video in AME and had the same glitch issue. This is what happens when a crash occurs:

1. Slowed perfomance of timeline and video responsiveness
  2. Program window goes either Black, White, or Gray (when this happens, I know it's game over... Thank you Auto-Save)
  3. Clicking, Moving Mouse, Typing, ANYTHING from there gives me a completely glitching out display for around 1 minute
  4. Whole screen goes black, seconds later...
  5. Log in screen

The attached pictures give you an idea of what the screen is looking like when the glitch occurs.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Anyone experience this issue? Everything I have is up to date including CUDA, the Apps themselves, everything.

THANKS!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
Participant ,
Feb 23, 2015 Feb 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only whole heartedly agree with Zanlyons and I have said it in previous posts Adobe may not be directly at fault but ADOBE calling APPLE should certainly put lot's more weight on that call for action from ADOBE then any frustrated nobodies like us that are only the reason why ADBE and APPLE are so financially successful. Please Kevin can someone at Adobe escalate this issue to the powers to be? I have been living with this since June of 2014 and I agree with Zanlyon I bought my iMac for what Apple claims I can do with it and bout my Adobe CC membership now on my third year after being one of the pioneers to make the jump from FCPX to PP and if this does not get fixed I know that come renewal time I might just forget ADOBE CC after all.

We have to stop talking about this and have someone with authority and clout elevate this to Apple NOW. Please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zanlyons,

Just run a GPU heavy project on 10.9+ using CUDA and you'll be able to reproduce the issue. It may not be immediate but it will definitely happen.

Like I said, we can't reproduce the issue here. Engineering has stated that on an earlier thread. It seems to only happen to certain Macs, not all. We will continue to try, however.

I'm running stuff the FCP 7 wouldn't have had a problem with and getting Kernel Panics.

FCP is a CPU centric application. It really doesn't use the GPU to do much, save for a couple of GPU based effects. Premiere Pro uses both the CPU and GPU in its processing.

Other applications that are GPU centric have similar issues, such as, DaVinci Resolve.

CUDA, the main selling point of CC appears to be the problem.

Yeah, but here's the thing: Premiere Pro has been using CUDA since Premiere Pro CS5 without issues like this. CUDA is nothing new. Because we have had a number of stable releases using CUDA, I do think this frustrating issue may have more to do with a combination of faulty hardware and/or Mac OS X's ability to handle GPU processing. However, I can't say this for sure. No one can. All we can do is continue to try to find a solution based on the info we have.

Adobe really need to get on this in a serious way. I don't know who is a t fault but it certainly isn't the users. We've all been told that buying machines with premium graphics cards will improve our workflows. Instead the opposite has happened.

I've done what I can. I've raised this as one of the top issues facing customers. Our team has done what they can: try to reproduce the issue and find a fix in house, but we haven't been able to do so. We're not giving up, though.

This issue isn't simply frustrating. After almost a year with no resolution, its actually insulting.

We know you're really frustrated with this issue, and I apologize for that.

Regards,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my point regarding FCP7. It's not even using the GPU which is supposed to improve workflows.

I'll see what happens with Apple's GPU fix but from my understanding it relates to a much older issue . I could be completely wrong though and I hope I am.

Could someone with the issue bring/send their laptop to Adobe somehow? If they're having trouble reproducing the issue, this may help. Id be happy to volunteer

I, and I'm certain everyone here really appreciate your efforts on this Kevin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2015 Feb 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I have the same issues with CUDA on my 27" iMac 3.4 i7 with 32GB RAM, running OS X 10.9.5, and Premiere cc14 Build 8.2.0.

OpenCL has been stable while working in Premiere, but everything bugs out when any GPU rendering is turned on in Media Encoder (while running Pr and AE workflow), so I have that set to Software only and it seems to be fine.. just long render times.  It does seem to me that the GPU gets overloaded and can't handle it.

Here is a video from 6 months ago of what happens with CUDA on: CUDA GLITCHES

Hope any of this info helps!  Thanks Kevin for being very responsive to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue as well -- been following it over on Creative Cow (NVIDIA Card with Yosemite and Premiere causing major graphics failure : Adobe Premiere Pro)

I have a 2014 rMBP. Had issue on 10.9, tried 10.10, got worse, rolled back to 10.9.

I want to take my machine in to Apple but cannot afford to be without it for more than a day, as I need it to do work.

Been on phone with Adobe, nvidia, Apple ... nothing helps.

At this point it seems like the only way to get Apple to do anything is to sue them.

So I'm wondering (a) how many people have this issue, and (b) how do we start a class action law suit?

I'm a freelance editor; this issue has caused me to lose MANY hours of work == MANY dollars.

Can we obtain the name of the law firm involved in the other lawsuit which led to the recent recall mentioned above?

I believe I have the most expensive laptop on the market. It should work. And if it doesn't, the manufacturer should take responsibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat as shonib.

Mid-2014 rMPB 15" 2.5 GHz Core i7 / 16 GB RAM / GT 750 M 2048 MB

My video source is on a WD MyBook Thunderbolt Duo RAID 0

I also have a display on this bus

I am mostly pushing 1080p content

I'm glad to volunteer my time with Adobe, NVIDIA or Apple over the phone to troubleshoot.

artifacts.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 01, 2015 Mar 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[I'm copying this over from the COW thread:]

I may have found something...

I was about to take my machine in to Apple for service, but before doing so I thought I'd try running Premiere in a 'clean' use account.

So I made a new (admin) account, copied over some project files, and launched Premiere

I set the project to CUDA, started 'working', and immediately noticed some differences: playback would start much faster, rendering started faster, less jerkiness in playback. And I was not getting any of the glitchiness. I had other issues besides the glitchiness, like clips dropped in dynamically from Ae would not update unless I manually switched over to Ae, and these things went away.

I didn't really spend several hours actually working, but it seems much smoother. Made me think the issue was due to 'gunked up' settings etc over months of work.

So I (backed up and) wiped my drive, clean installed Yosemite (I was on Mavericks before), set up CC etc. But after copying over all my settings, including downloading settings from Adobe, the performance was twitchy again. Bummer.

I created a fresh account again, and again, in the new account, Premiere performed much better. Even complex speed ramps and Ae clips played back incredibly fast in real time, better than I've seen in months.

I won't know for sure until I spend a day editing, but it might be that a lot of these issues stem from corruption or some kind in the user settings.

So I went back to my original account, and deleted EVERYTHING with the word 'adobe' or 'premiere' within my User folder (including ~/Library and ~/Documents). The performance is now similar to that of the 'clean' account.

So far it's working rather well ... I will report back after spending more time.

Maybe some other can test this out and report back ... try a fresh account, and if you notice a difference, go back to your main account and delete (or put aside) all the Adobe stuff in your ~ folder. DO NOT SYNC SETTINGS from Adobe servers.

If, like me, you absolutely need your custom keyboard shortcuts, you can manually copy the .kys files from

~/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro/8.0/Profile-CreativeCloud/Mac/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2015 Mar 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Judge

Other people have already done this and it hasn't been successful in the long run so don't get your hopes up.

Please post your progress though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2015 Mar 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

!@#$%@%$&$(#)@&# !!!!

You were right. I spake too soon.

Garbledygook is back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2015 Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me, CUDA does not work and I had to uninstall all cuda driver and I use only the OpenCL,

I have the MacBook Pro 11,3,  16GB Ram with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB and 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7 Yosemite 10.10.2 installed on a 1TB APPLE SSD

It is brand new and i have only my AdobeCC installed;

Now I think it's not normal to see glitch on screen or jerky video during the video playback and crash of my premiere pro (2014.2 release, 8.2.0 (65) Build) or I miss something about the Yosemite compatibility?

PS. working with normal 1080p files, DSLR or similar not over 50 Mbps 422

Vito.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, after reading through this thread ... is there any point to taking my machine (same as VitoMaker's) to Apple?

Has it at least been established that this is a software/driver issue?

Or is it hardware? Are there people using CUDA without this issue?

Who's responsible? Adobe, Apple, or Nvidia?

Many of us bought this machine with the express purpose of using Premiere,

YET PREMIERE IS NOT COMPATIBLE.

It would be nice to get some kind of statement about what the problem is and what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See petergaraway's response from yesterday. They have reproduced the problem, and are working on a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried to install an older version of the CUDA drivers?

I feel like this issue cropped up some time in late 2014 .. but can't pinpoint when.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is has just started happening to me today...

It has glitched and shutdown my entire computer about 5 times!

This is too much of a coincidence if everyone is experiencing computer problems..

SPECS:

IMAC 3.5 GHz i7

32 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

I am running OS X 10.9.5

CUDA Driver Version: 6.5.45 (I updated to this because of the crashes, however it still does it!)

Premiere Pro CC 2014.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2015 Mar 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to make it through an entire edit today by only using the built-in display on my rMBP.

Has anyone else tried it with no external displays connected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2015 Mar 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I spoke too soon. This is with only the built-in display.

Screen Shot 2015-03-06 at 9.43.43 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, glitches as on the screenshots in previous posts and freezes / crashes with kernel message (only when using Premiere, not when using FCPX even on big projects)

27" iMac 3.4 Ghz Core i5 late 2013

24GB Ram 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDEA CTX 775M 2018 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Hearly Films and all on this thread,

I just learned that some users have been using a workaround where the NVIDA GPU is switched off with shareware. This is unsupported, but it may be something worth exploring if you are a user with a dual GPU MacBook Pro and the issue is preventing you from getting work done.

Re: Premiere is unstable and crashing

There are third party applications (shareware) like gfxCardStatus by cody krieger that may give you greater control over switching the GPU to only the one you want to use. Some have reported success switching off the NVIDIA card and using the secondary GPU instead.

In my case, I have an Intel HD Graphics 5000 (512 MB VRAM), so I'd have to operate in Software Only mode for the Mercury Playback Engine but it would work. The only problem is that if you run applications that call the discrete GPU, you could crash OS X and would need to reboot.

Keep in mind, though, that you could switch back to the discrete GPU easily with the shareware after you are done with the editing session.

Just a thought if you are looking for a workaround.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wish there was something I could do for the iMac

I have noticed my issues have only been the display glitching but its not effecting my exports or causing premiere to shut down. As soon as it starts I just restart premiere and I am able to get my work done. It just scares me to see my whole screen glitching out even in different programs.

Attached is a screenshot from my chrome browser after a session of editing 

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin-Monahan wrote:

Hello Hearly Films and all on this thread,

I just learned that some users have been using a workaround where the NVIDA GPU is switched off with shareware. This is unsupported, but it may be something worth exploring if you are a user with a dual GPU MacBook Pro and the issue is preventing you from getting work done.

I thought the issue only came up with CUDA enabled? Using OpenCL made it stop. Why would we need this extra app?

Also, any progress on a fix? Have Adobe been in touch with nvidia? Progress reports would make us feel better...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shonib,

I thought the issue only came up with CUDA enabled? Using OpenCL made it stop. Why would we need this extra app?

By all means, if you can run the Mercury Playback Engine Hardware Acceleration (OpenCL), do so. Not all NVIDIA GPUs support OpenCL to my knowledge.

Also, any progress on a fix? Have Adobe been in touch with nvidia? Progress reports would make us feel better...

A QE engineer came on an earlier thread and said that we were working with our partners at Apple and NVIDIA on this. That's all I have for now.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 07, 2015 Mar 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having major problems with CUDA, too, since Yosemite.

I'm getting the glitches while using Premiere. And sometimes my system (2009 Mac Pro with Quadro 4000) will freeze and reboot. Premiere crashes constantly.

The initial CUDA yosemite driver was really bad, and updates since then seemed to correct the problem - until heavy use of Premiere, which brings the problem back.

Very, very frustrating.... I'm at a loss on what to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same problem as everyone.

It has to be the CUDA drivers.

MacBook Pro i7 Late 2013

1. Changed logic/gpu board

Same problem.

Followed some advice here by switching to Open CL in premiere.

File > Project Settings > General > Renderer > Mercury Playback Engine Acceleration (Open CL)

Perfect so far on the same project that will glitch in no time.

I hope the fix comes soon. It literally cost me so much time and money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching to Open CL stops the glitching, but with NVIDIA graphics cards that are meant for CUDA performance, you don't get as smooth playback as you normally would.

I am getting almost the same as software only mode.

Come on Adobe, release a fix patch or something.

- J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2015 Mar 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to consider the problem might not be with Adobe's software at all. They can't patch a problem that isn't with their software.

On my computer, Premiere gets the computer to start glitching, but the glitching continues after I close all Adobe apps.

I think its more likely the problem is either with the hardware (NVIDIA/Apple's problem) or the CUDA drivers (NVIDIA/Apple's problem).

If that's the case, Adobe can't do much but work with their partners, which they have stated they are doing.

I attached a movie file that shows today's glitch. Interestingly enough, it blinks along with the cursor. Personal info gaussian redacted.

That being said, Peter or Kevin, would you please hound some people and get an update for us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines