• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro CC Glitches Screen & Crashes Computer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing this problem for about three weeks now. I am editing on a MacBook Pro with 2.4 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250SSD, Thunderbolt to 3TB drive, and a thunderbolt-DVI adapter to Apple Cinema Display. I am editing 4K RED EPIC footage and my computer is wigging out on me.

I have been editing high quality footage on this machine with these drives and settings for a while. I originally thought this was a CUDA issue or graphics card issue. I switched to OpenCL and edited for a while and had the same issue again. I even took my machine to Apple and they put a new logic board and graphics chipset in it because we thought that would solve the issue. Again, same problems. I originally thought this might be just a Premiere Pro issue, however today I was exporting a 10 minute 4K, downgrade to 1080p video in AME and had the same glitch issue. This is what happens when a crash occurs:

1. Slowed perfomance of timeline and video responsiveness
  2. Program window goes either Black, White, or Gray (when this happens, I know it's game over... Thank you Auto-Save)
  3. Clicking, Moving Mouse, Typing, ANYTHING from there gives me a completely glitching out display for around 1 minute
  4. Whole screen goes black, seconds later...
  5. Log in screen

The attached pictures give you an idea of what the screen is looking like when the glitch occurs.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Anyone experience this issue? Everything I have is up to date including CUDA, the Apps themselves, everything.

THANKS!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't care what any of the Adobe people say, I ONLY use OpenCL now. I don't notice much difference and my system works again. I will never install a Cuda driver on a Mac again. I went through hell and back. Not just back when this started, but again and again, with every new OSX with every new Adobe update, with every new Cuda update. I'm not sure when it started. But I edit 4k footage, as well as do heavy color grading on a machine using Open CL. Just use that. Trust me, open CL works fine, I can't notice any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really would be happy if I could even get decent results from Open CL. I actually get a totally different "style" of graphics distortion when I try to use Open CL. It usually appears when I try to click on the program monitor. Its best described as green bars running diagonally across the screen, and they're almost evenly spaced. In some cases they're even worse than what I see when using CUDA. Ive done rendering tests with the same files going back and forth from Open CL to CUDA and when it works Open CL isn't much slower, i'll admit that. I also think thats the direction apple was trying to push for with the new AMD Graphics cards in both Mac Pro and Macbook Pro (2015 force touch version.) Truthfully though, all of these issues are also made worse because of performance issues that exist even when I'm not using the highest resolutions, while I'm using only the screen on the Macbook pro to edit from. I have also tried every version of Yosemite, as well as Mavericks, and all the CC updates as well as CUDA drivers and nothing changes with regards to CUDA. Its really unbelievable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All,

I had a problem with Premiere Pro glitching on my old Mac Pro running 10.7.5, as noted in an earlier post, but I attributed the problems to my older Mac Pro not being able to handle the latest Premiere Pro updates and operating system demands.  I bought a new iMac with 5k display and while I get an occasional freeze up with Premiere Pro for unexplained reasons, I must say that I've experienced few problems since using the new computer.  Playback is quite smooth, even at maximum window viewing, and rendering and export is not causing problems.  I have not done any capture with this computer.  I'm not working with CUDA and have not installed it.  My graphics cards on this machine are ATI VENDOR: AMD Radeon R9 M295X, Type GPU.   I'm working with Yosemite 10;10.4 and the latest Premiere Pro Update, CC2015. That's my addition to the discussion for right now.

Small Town Gal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Small Town Gal, Thanks for the info. AMD seems to be the GPU thats working right now. Although both companies (Nvidia and AMD) have had issues in the past, maybe AMD actually resolved theirs and thats why Apple seems to be including their graphics cards in the new mac line ups? So, Open CL works good with AMD and premiere, or at least, from what you've seen with the 5K iMac?

@Gavner25, are you saying that if I remove the CUDA drivers and essentially all CUDA files that will allow OPEN CL to work correctly? And by doing this, its also not affecting the overall performance and rendering times in a negative way? Since I've had issues with both, when ever I use software only I do notice serious differences in rendering especially, and playback has always struggled for some reason. i'm on my 2nd machine and Apple just replaced the logic board, so, I'm running out of options here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All,

Yes, Premiere Pro, with a few exceptions, is working fine for me right now.  I get an occasional freeze, but nothing that makes me tear my hair out.  Right now I'm not working on very demanding projects, however - three channels of audio and one channel of video, so my demands are not as great as a big time studio with many things going on at once in the editing process.  However, I was doing much the same on my old computer and got the glitches there, whereas I'm not getting them on the new computer.  I will have more demands in the future, working with multiple video and audio channels, titles, etc., but right now I'm just working to prepare some HD footage for possible sale as stock, adjusting the color, etc., and adding sound effects and enhancing the audio to get rid of ambient junk noise.  I'll update you later if I encounter any problems when I get into more complicated editing projects.  I don't try to run anything else when I'm working on video editing because of the great demands on the computer.  Small Town Gal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for me. I'm still getting Kernel Panics

Notice no word from Adobe on this for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All,

My new iMac was ordered on 12/24/14 and delivered in late January or early February, 2015, and this is the system info -- I loaded it up as much as I could for video production without going to a MacPro model and I like everything about it thus far.  Perhaps a difference in delivery dates or how much processing speed is making a difference in Premier Pro's performance???  Small Town Gal

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac15,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: IM151.0207.B03

SMC Version (system): 2.23f11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone point us to threads on the Apple and NVIDIA forums?  I had a brief look but came up empty.

I think we need to direct our displeasure elsewhere.  Adobe is unable or unwilling to do anything about this (despite the partnership with NVIDIA they heavily promoted) and the NVIDIA rep that was here a couple of times probably can't give us much info about a fix that is likely not even happening. 10.10.4 doesn't fix anything, there is no indication that El Capitan does.  From what I can see, Apple no longer does business with NVIDIA.  Why would either company spend time and money on this unless their user base demanded it - LOUDLY?

If I were Adobe (and presumably had some idea of where the fault genuinely lies), I would throw the company responsible under the bus.  Adobe could officially recommend Windows for Premiere users.  I would move to Premiere (or potentially Resolve 12) on a PC before I'd move to Final Cut X.  I don't mind FCPX, but Premiere is way better suited to my style.  Adobe could also officially recommend AMD cards for Mac users.  I purchased a used Sapphire Radeon 7950 Mac edition that I'm waiting to put in my MacPro tower when I wrap up a current project.

If anyone knows a better place to be heard, I'd love to have the info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All,

I grew up on Final Cut Pro, and although I haven't used the current slimmed down version, it did a good job and I will soon add the latest version of FC-X to my editing tools.  Both Premiere and FCP have their uses and I like some things better in FCP, other things better in PP -- so, my philosophy has always been that if you can't do it one way, do it another!  As I've said, although I haven't used the latest FC-X slimmed down versions, I used FCP successfully for many years and am looking forward to adding FC-X to my editing tools in the near future.

As far as using Windows computers, I much prefer a Mac -- started out on Windows, although not for video editing, and I'm glad I'm not in that mindset any longer.  Nothing is perfect, that's for sure, but when you started out like I did, doing video editing on the fly with two vcrs and a master editing machine, a big old 12 channel audio mixer, and countless necessary add-ons to get the job done, you would bow down and kiss the computer wherein your new digital editing program resides!  The elimination and streamlining of work, no need for countless extra machines, and the opening up of possibilities for video production has given us all the opportunity for almost unlimited expression through video production, and I, for one, LOVE IT!  It's rather like buying a DSLR with HD video capabilities -- so many choices, which one do you buy?  You can take good photos with a pinhole camera if you so choose, but I surely like the opportunities that the digital world offers!  Small Town Gal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these kernel Panics with 2014 or 2015 Premiere Pro. My husband and I are experiencing the same thing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both CC 2014 and CC 2015 on Yosemite. Probably earlier versions of Premiere / Adobe software too. The problem seems to be CUDA and Yosemite with Adobe software being the casualty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Notice no word from Adobe on this for a while.

Sorry Zanlyons, I have no "new" news. I am still pressing this issue as much as I can on behalf of you and users like you. I am so sorry that I haven't been able to do more for you. NVIDIA is still working on the issue as I understand it. I wish I had better news to report.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin

After more than a year I'm sure you can appreciate how infuriating this is; we pay for the software after all.

Thanks for the update. It's good to know you're behind us on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Mac Pro are you using now that you're not seeing these issues on? That would be what i'd like to know? When you say Upgrade, what do you mean? Upgrade the graphics card, the whole machine to a newer mac pro, adobe from 2014 to 2015?

See, I have issues using open CL and while using CUDA. My PC is slower, but it doesn't have an issue. I still don't use it normally because my MacBook Pro is brand new and the PC is 7 years old. Apple has promised a fix, yet they haven't delivered, they also claim to know what the issue is, but don't want to put it in writing. A little research into these issues tells me that Apple has had graphics card issues stemming from both Nvidia in 2010 and AMD in 2011. Not sure why both of these class action lawsuits were settled, but it seems like the issues people were having were very similar to the ones many of us are seeing here. As for how adobe fits into all this, I just think they expected the software to work with CUDA. It seems to have issues.

If I had to revise my belief after a few more days of research, this is looking more and more like Apple simply not wanting to admit a massive amount of bad GPU's as well as a general desire to make it difficult for Adobe users to use Adobe software when there are so many options viable from Apple that don't hold a candle to Premiere Pro (for example.) I know what I'm saying is accusatory, but I really feel like Apples history lends a lot of credibility to these beliefs. So,

I cant answer your question for sure either way @Robertt, but it would help me out to know a little bit more about any currently working configuration you might have? Do you have Nvidia graphics cards? Are you running Yosemite, or Mavericks, etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been experiencing these issues because I've got an ATI Radeon HD 5770 and was going to upgrade to a graphics card with CUDA, as well as updating to Yosemite from Mavericks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue. To solve it you will have to completely remove the CUDA plugin instead of simply turning it off. Once its removed from your system your issue should disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Calling MBP Retina 2013/2014 users! Today Apple swapped my late 2013 MPB for a brand new MBP 2015 with the ATI chip because of this issue.

Previously I had the logic board in this machine changed twice. Each time I went in I was extremely polite, friendly, explained the issue, showed LOTS of evidence of pictures I took on my phone.

Today I went in (again, politely explained that the issue remains) and without me even asking they offered to give me a brand new machine with the ATI r9 chip.

I had Apple care on my previous machine.

Data is transferring now, but hopefully this is the end to my problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really curious to see how this works out for you with the 2015 rMBP with Radeon Graphics. I am also in talks with Apple. Mostly I would like to know how Open CL works because theres no CUDA. I tried removing CUDA completely, and succeeded, and then I see how long a render will take. This was really more of a transcoding, all I was doing was trying to convert one (1) 4K file into a smaller size so I could test out a Proxy edit and re-link to the original after testing out effects on the low quality file. The render was going to take well over an hour. Yes, thats how it started, and then the system crashed about half way through. So, not having CUDA for me is very noticeable, and very unstable apparently too. I'm hoping open CL is better than what I've been hearing from some 2013 Mac Pro users, or experienced myself on a machine meant to use CUDA. I am almost certain Yosemite and the Apple OS play a large part in this too.

I'm also curious if anyone else gets a unusually high CPU load percentage when using Adobe or FCPX, and if this is normal? My CPU load % is sometimes high 700%, I had it at 775% last night, and while monitoring the CPU in the activity monitor all cores were running at or close to 100% on the" light blue" meter. User percentage was around 90% and System was basically the other 10%. I have heard from a couple people this is normal, but it doesn't sound or feel normal when I listen to the fan or touch the computer.

check out the pics....One is from last night, and the graphics pic is from this AM. IMG_5700s.pngIMG_5703s.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cokeefe02,

So far with the rMBP 2015 Radeon graphics I've had zero glitches. GPU performance appears to be much better - 1.5x FPS performance in Davinci Resolve, but most importantly the glitches have gone away and so have the kernel panics! I have a workable machine again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello COKeefe,

I am really curious to see how this works out for you with the 2015 rMBP with Radeon Graphics...

Mostly I would like to know how Open CL works because theres no CUDA...

Can you create a new post about problems with AME graphics cards? Not to diminish your issue at all, however, this thread is about NVIDIA GPU issues and I would like us to stay on topic until we see a solution.

I tried removing CUDA completely, and succeeded, and then I see how long a render will take.

You should not install CUDA drivers in a machine without a NVIDIA card. This can cause a lot of problems for users that try such a things: Avoid installing NVIDIA CUDA drivers on computers with AMD GPUs

I appreciate your assistance and help, though.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

With all due respect, i'm not sure what you're talking about? I have a 2014 15" rMBP with the Nvidia Geforce 750m graphics card? My issues are related to the failure of the Graphics card. I'm on my 2nd Macbook pro because both GPU's have had some serious issues. At least, thats what I believe. I cant really confirm that because no one really wants to come out and say that theres something faulty, but I'm really trying to narrow down what the issue might actually be. I'm looking for a solution too, but it looks like after nearly 17 months theres not a solution that i'm aware of? So, I have been asking for people to clarify what they're using for a system, to see if the issues are truly exclusive to Nvidia graphics cards. I guess thats why I asked if people were having problems using anything AMD. Im not sure if there is an official position from Adobe on why this seems to be happening, but if you know, I sure would love to know?

So, forgive me for jumping off topic, but after a long time in the trenches here, its only logical that people start asking difficult questions.

Kevin, I'm not sure what you meant when you said that I shouldn't install CUDA on a machine using AMD, but I was aware of that, and I guess I don't understand how that fit in with what I was saying? I don't own a machine with AMD, nor did I suggest anyone install CUDA on a machine with AMD, because thats bad. I am not sure about what people having been saying about DaVinci resolve and the rumor about it needing CUDA to work, but as far as I know, CUDA and AMD are not meant to work together and i'm sure thats what you're trying to say as well if anyone was confused.

I do know that I don't get any relief when deleting CUDA, and I do know that Premiere doesn't really work without it, and I also would like to say that the performance when I use only the CPU is atrocious. Seriously. Really bad. the opposite of good.

I am glad to see you're still commenting though Kevin, and you're clearly doing more than anyone else I've seen. Even though we're all still dealing with this, I just wish someone from Apple, Adobe, or Nvidia would step up and own this once and for all. I think there are a combination of things at work here which cause issues between Adobe premiere, Nvidia and the Apple OS, primarily Yosemite. I am not sure why this hasn't been resolved, but it has been going on for an unreasonable amount of time without a fix. Some people seem to have it worse than others, and not everyone is using the same exact machine or graphics cards, but one thing is for sure, we're all using Adobe. To confirm some of my findings though, Apple has indicated that its possible we're all not using our computers the right way, and since we are trying to do more than the machines are capable of handling, its likely that this is part of the problem we're all seeing with these graphics issues.

Kevin, does this make any sense to you? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi COKeefe,

With all due respect, i'm not sure what you're talking about? I have a 2014 15" rMBP with the Nvidia Geforce 750m graphics card? My issues are related to the failure of the Graphics card.

You mentioned "Radeon" graphics, which refers to AMD GPUs, does it not? Please excuse the confusion if I got your machine wrong. Sounds like you do not have an AMD card installed there after all.

My issues are related to the failure of the Graphics card. I'm on my 2nd Macbook pro because both GPU's have had some serious issues. At least, thats what I believe. I cant really confirm that because no one really wants to come out and say that theres something faulty, but I'm really trying to narrow down what the issue might actually be. I'm looking for a solution too, but it looks like after nearly 17 months theres not a solution that i'm aware of?

No solution currently, it's a NVIDIA issue as far as we know. The NVIDIA rep has been on the thread.

I just wish someone from Apple, Adobe, or Nvidia would step up and own this once and for all. I think there are a combination of things at work here which cause issues between Adobe premiere, Nvidia and the Apple OS, primarily Yosemite.

NVIDIA has actually been on the thread and said that they were working on the issue.

I was using OS X 10.8.5 on the same machine and no issues with Premiere Pro. As soon as I updated to OS X 10.10, I got the issues. So, whomever is at fault, you can still use OS X 10.8.5 and use Premiere Pro CC 2014 8.2 with no issues. If you have a machine that does not accept OS X 10.8.5, or you want to use Premiere Pro CC 2015, you are forced to use OS X 10.9, or later with the NVIDIA driver issues and OS X. You can minimize the issue by switching to OpenCL for GPU acceleration of the Mercury Playback Engine, as well.

To confirm some of my findings though, Apple has indicated that its possible we're all not using our computers the right way, and since we are trying to do more than the machines are capable of handling, its likely that this is part of the problem we're all seeing with these graphics issues.

Again, the previous version of Premiere Pro worked fine with NVIDIA CUDA acceleration and OS X 10.8.5. When they radically changed OS X with Mavericks, that's when things started going wrong with the GPU glitches. So, Apple and NVIDIA had it right for quite some time, but now we see issues. With those findings, I'll let you be the judge.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin!

I've tried to read all 496 comments, but I guess some info got lost in the thick of it all. I wasn't aware that anyone from Nvidia had even commented? I guess its time to send another email to Apple. I'm looking forward to one day being able to use Premiere as I should be able to. Maybe that will be sooner than later now?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's happening with Davinci Resolve like crazy. Not Adobe related for sure. Nvidia doesn't seem to care much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2015 Aug 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin. Little of topic maybe, but never no if there is something to obtain from this: I had major glitches watching a movie on a TV network site with the Silverlight player. I have no Cuda installed. No just in the player but also in the Apple Preview app on which I was scrolling the movie's screenplay PDF.. While scrolling the center part stayed fixed while the sides were scrolling. When I would stop scrolling everything jumped in place. Also on full screen the background (browserwindow, desktop open windows) flickered through the video every now and then. Eventually everything went Haywire until I Force Quit Safari and therefore the Silverlight plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines