• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro CC Glitches Screen & Crashes Computer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing this problem for about three weeks now. I am editing on a MacBook Pro with 2.4 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250SSD, Thunderbolt to 3TB drive, and a thunderbolt-DVI adapter to Apple Cinema Display. I am editing 4K RED EPIC footage and my computer is wigging out on me.

I have been editing high quality footage on this machine with these drives and settings for a while. I originally thought this was a CUDA issue or graphics card issue. I switched to OpenCL and edited for a while and had the same issue again. I even took my machine to Apple and they put a new logic board and graphics chipset in it because we thought that would solve the issue. Again, same problems. I originally thought this might be just a Premiere Pro issue, however today I was exporting a 10 minute 4K, downgrade to 1080p video in AME and had the same glitch issue. This is what happens when a crash occurs:

1. Slowed perfomance of timeline and video responsiveness
  2. Program window goes either Black, White, or Gray (when this happens, I know it's game over... Thank you Auto-Save)
  3. Clicking, Moving Mouse, Typing, ANYTHING from there gives me a completely glitching out display for around 1 minute
  4. Whole screen goes black, seconds later...
  5. Log in screen

The attached pictures give you an idea of what the screen is looking like when the glitch occurs.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Anyone experience this issue? Everything I have is up to date including CUDA, the Apps themselves, everything.

THANKS!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I brought my computer in for a GPU test which he ran through the wringer and said it was working fine, but I guess it could be the equivalent of running that twice at the same time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sephven,

I don't know if you saw my post, but I'm running AMD FirePro GPUs and don't have CUDA installed, yet get the same issue.

It does seem to happen when rendering/encoding, and I did notice the fans in the MacPro work more heavily, so it could be as RESH said - overheating?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌As soon as someone tests El Capitan with CUDA please let us know!

Very curious to find out if this has been fixed by Apple

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Nvida Cuda drivers if someone wants to try em out.

NVIDIA DRIVERS 7.5.20

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating OS X to El Capitan started getting vertical lines in Prelude and Premiere Pro when the play-head was paused. Updated NVidia CUDA driver to latest version (7.5.20), then updated preferences in Prelude (Preferences -> Playback) and Premiere Pro (File -> Project Settings) to use CUDA instead of OpenGL, and all is now fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is already reported. See the thread below.

Problem in OS X El capitan Public Beta

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes same thing happening to me.  I will get those screen glitches here and there sometimes and they go away.  But other times the system will freeze for about a minute. Then crash and boot back up with the screen saying something along the lines of "your system restarted because of a problem"

Also to note:  the projects where this does happen, it happens a lot. About once every 15-30 minutes.  Super frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue for about a year now as well, currently running:

MBP Mid-2012 non-retina

Nvidia 650M

No external displays, editing off of external hard drives over usb 3.0

Editing mostly 1080p footage, sometimes multi-cam h.264 sometimes ProRes.

3rd party plugins - Colorista 3 (when not going through resolve) and Neat video

Started getting these issues with Cuda last year when I updated to Yosemite (mavericks worked perfect for me) where I would get the same artifacts all over the OS and my renders, so I switched to OpenCL and that worked, although it's slower that way. Since then I've upgraded to CC2014 and now CC2015 with just recently a clean install of El Capitan. I switched over and would like to use CUDA again since apple apparently broke OpenCL in El Cap. I installed the newest web drivers and Cuda 7.5.20 and immediately the whole system crashed when I launched PPro, and when I restarted it the drivers had reverted to the OS X ones. I haven't tried it again but will soon to see if that is reproducible. While editing/rendering out a sequence of 1080p ProRes clips the other day I saw minor artifacting in finder and chrome, but luckily none in the renders yet. Will keep you updated as I get into more GPU-intensive work.

Would you suggest me switching over to the Nvidia web drivers for the 650M 1024mb version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Josiah,

I'm currently running CC2015 on a slightly newer MBP (retina late 2013), with a similar Nvidia 750M. I've been plagued with crashes/glitches with CUDA for quite a while. I don't have a solution for CUDA I'm afraid.

However, I DO now have PPro running very smoothly using Mercury Engine in OpenCL mode, only thanks to the Nvidia web drivers. I can run CUDA without crashing, but it's not any faster (either according to FPS stats, or 'feel').

I'd recommend giving the OpenCL another shot with the latest web drivers. Good luck!

jason 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so after downloading 7.5.20  My computer was running with Cuda great.  I hadn't had any issues for about a month.  Now suddenly today I started having issues again.  I haven't made any updates, or changed anything.  This is the same project I've been working on during that time and not nearly as memory intensive as some of the others I've been working on.  So if nothing has changed why in the hell is my computer crashing again?  It's a complete mystery to me.  I'm still using Yosemite until they work out all the bugs in El Cap, but CC2015 is so incredibly broken I wish someone would give us even a little information on this issue!!  The fact that Color and Premiere are full of bugs and issues even this far after release, is just incompetence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello sephven,

Ok, so after downloading 7.5.20  My computer was running with Cuda great.  I hadn't had any issues for about a month.  Now suddenly today I started having issues again.  I haven't made any updates, or changed anything.  This is the same project I've been working on during that time and not nearly as memory intensive as some of the others I've been working on.  So if nothing has changed why in the hell is my computer crashing again?

You say you are crashing. Were you seeing the screen glitches prior to the crash? What were you doing when you crashed? Were you trimming?

I'm still using Yosemite until they work out all the bugs in El Cap, but CC2015 is so incredibly broken I wish someone would give us even a little information on this issue!! 

I'm on Yosemite with a MacBook Pro on a NVIDIA 650M with no real issues. Which issue do you need more info on? Screen glitches? I am not seeing any and I'm switched to CUDA on the latest drivers. I can even play back ARRI Raw at 1/2 res off my native HD.

The fact that Color and Premiere are full of bugs and issues even this far after release, is just incompetence.

By "Color" do you mean "SpeedGrade" or "Lumetri color effects?" Either way, file any bugs here. We read every one.

BTW, we have a new release coming very shortly.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2015 Nov 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was able to work on a fresh instal of El Cap with the web drivers and CUDA renderer for about 2 months on a Mid-2012 Mbp with Nvidia 650m, but just recently premiere just disabled the Cuda option on all my projects out of nowhere. Between this, the external drive issues I'm continuously experiencing with in El Capitan, and overall instability, I think I'm just finished with Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these issues still happening with the new macbooks or mac systems? I had the same problems on my Macbook pro 650m and on my hackintosh on a GTX 760 card. Running everything from mountain lion to el cap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these issues still happening with the new macbooks or mac systems? I had the same problems on my Macbook pro 650m and on my hackintosh on a GTX 760 card. Running everything from mountain lion to el cap.

Hi Spnsr,
No, all new Macs are AMD based. This is a NVIDIA issue.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Apple told me it appeared to be a graphics card issue. Under what was left of my warranty, they replaced the logic board and GPU (since they're fused together). Over $1,700 in what would've been repair costs (that was covered under the warranty) and I got my system back up and running with a fresh install of 10.10.5 from the Genius Bar and what happens to me today (about 1 week after it was fixed)? Glitches galore in After Effects...

Anybody have any luck with contacting NVIDIA?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hobartmann, may I ask you which is your system? My Apple Care is still active for my iMac too. I could contact Apple, this issue is becoming really a problem for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've worked with a few guys who love, I repeat, LOVE to modify their OSX systems and build hackintoshes... ...By ripping out the basic driver for the OSX gfx, they were able to build their own that worked.  CUDA included.  Seems to be a problem with the OSX graphics driver.  It's not CUDA being broken, it's more like the apple driver needs to be accessed first, and it doesn't allow other drivers access through the standard GPU.  Some data gets sent out, according to the benchmarks attached to the cards themselves, but most of the data is being sent to the OSX standard GPU or CPU-GP, which won't accept data from other graphics cards, and for some reason, has trouble passing data back to them or through them, regardless of whether or not the display is attached to onboard or discrete cards.  One of them built a simple driver and ran it, with cuda and 3 Geforce cards with 4gb each.  The main graphics started out slow and lowres, but selecting the new driver ups the res and allows the system to use the CUDA.  A simple IF statement did the trick.  If another graphics card existed on the system, it checked for which was selected as the main.  With the main being another card, it always turned dumped the driver and kext from the active, and switched to the new gfx card after login.    Another replaced the osx gfx driver with the webdriver, named it the same, gave it the same identifiers for the kexts and driver package, and ran the system.  It worked fine.  He installed CUDA, then ran Premiere Pro trial, and put in a few plugins.  It ran fine at 4k, and all the cards were available for use.  Took a very short time to render an hours worth of video with AE and still imports.  He did have to open AE and set the renderer before they would show up, but it worked fine.  Once done, he closed AE and as far as I know never had to do that again.  THis points to the problem being APPLE.  They like to lock down every function that can be modified so you pay somebody to modify it in specific fashion, and they like to keep tabs on the mods so they can later claim it was all a part of their plan.  Ever since Steve left us, they've gone non-art, or, as I like to say, ANTI-PROFESSIONAL.  Their driver works by their benchmark and works "enough" for the masses.  But when it comes to specific capabilities that put more wear and tear on a system, they are completely against it.  Not far from their earlier stance on such things, but they used to allow higher end hardware to be utilized at its maximum or just short, which included any specific hardware function.  Unfortunately, there was a shift in their rendering pipelines, mainly with retina displays and iris functions.  They felt it was better, and was a slight speed boost without stressing the hardware, and spreads that stress across the system  (got that from the hackintosh guys).  They are moving away from part specific stress and toward methods that use "More of the entire machine", but anything that is specific to a single piece of hardware is being discouraged.  Remove the Apple provided drivers and things speed back up.  You can replace the mac drivers.  IT's just not recommended.  If they allowed open access to their driver builds, I'm sure they could be modified to allow for CUDA or any other GFX pipelining structure, but they've locked it all down, and basically gave you all the finger, over and over again saying "It means howdy stranger", obviously not oblivious to the fact that we all know what it really means.

So there it is.  If you know how to replace the standard OSX driver (removing it completely and putting in something else that looks like it to the system), you might be able to get this all working.  But most people don't know what or how to modify.  Until they get a specific request that forces their hand (put a gun to some guys crotch and he'll figure out the meaning of life for you), they're not going to help.  An added bonus... ...Permissions are a problem.  Occasional kernel panic \ flat out crash is common.  The files have to be WRITTEN by the right process, and have the correct standard system permissions.  Very much like Windows "Trusted Installer" problems.  I see a pattern forming here.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2016 Feb 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is very interesting. My question is: when you say that one your friends "replaced the osx gfx driver with the webdriver, named it the same, gave it the same identifiers for the kexts and driver package", isn't it the same as using NVIDIA Driver Manager which lets you select the NVIDIA Web Driver or the OSX Default Driver? Because this worked for me at the beginning, but turned having the same problems after a while. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark Kilgard‌, it would be interesting to get your feedback on this issue of screen glitching on Macs with NVidia graphics cards and CUDA enabled in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nvidia quietly updated their driver yesterday (or the day before). What is interesting is that this update did not coincide with any recent Mac OS updates but rather was independent of this usual requirement.

After working with this new driver for a while with Premiere Pro using Mercury Playback Engine with Cuda enabled with 4K footage... I am very pleased to say it appears to be working, and working well! (fingers crossed)

I can only speak from my personal experience at this point and I am hesitant to get too excited and say 'problem solved'...but so far so good!

For the record I am using the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2048 MB (under El Capitan on a Mac Pro (early 2009) with 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon and 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2016 Feb 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK...well that didn't last long! My machine is glitching yet again when using CUDA.

I have resumed working with OpenCL.

So it appears the problem though better is still there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey halycon,  did you leave the apple supplied driver in place?  Did you restart between the time it was working and when it began to fail?  if you said yes to the first,  and didnt have to restart after installing new drivers, they superceded the mac driver at that time.  The libraries the new driver used were the same as those on the card.  but mac drivers revert to the original c libs when you restart, update etc.  until you remove or replace them, and lock them down, This processing boost will not work.  your mac driver doesnt contain the same libs as your cuda version, and will garble the data in working memory.  if somebody could figure out how to permanently remove the mac driver and keep it from being replaced with every update, CUDA would work fine.  until somebody figures out how to prevent apple from enacting their "We know better than even GOD whats best for you"  policies, were stuck.

‌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

I have had big troubles with cuda, kernel panic and splotches... and my solution is only to work with one monitor. I tried to switch different monitor resolutions with different effects but this helps only for a while but when I start working with only one Cinema HD with the resolution of 2560x1600 I can use cuda again without any problems...

Best regards,

Florian.

CUDA Driver Version: 7.5.25; NVIDEA Web Driver 346.02.03f04

Mac OSX 10.10.5

MacPro5,1

2 x 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz

64 GB RAM 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 GPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌two cards means two separate drivers would have to be running, unless you are only using one card with multiple monitors.  that said,  apple no likey multiple drivers for the same function.

with only one main driver, you wont be using two cards easily unless they match exactly.  otherwise, youll need a secondary driver...

heres what i see:  mac driver still installed with cuda accel running on primary card with web driver running for second card, or vice versa.  this means that cuda may work by processing on one card and sending to the other normally!  which really proves one thing...  cuda works on the mac when the mac driver doesnt get in the way.  but, make sure youve got 6gb vram on each card or youll never view higher than 2k without problems.  Also, not sure on the max res of the cinema hd, but what interface?  if attaching to a video card over dvi, 2k is pretty much the limit while processing video and 4k playback otherwise.  Hdmi can get 4k and 6k top end, but thats pushing it with a short and heavily shielded wire.  Thunderbolt 2 will get you there at 8k, Tbolt1 might move at 4k, assuming your data can move fast enough to play at that speed, and your cards can handle it without having to pass data through the mac standard graphics driver (scrambles the effects because of byte order issues and language discrepencies).  good luck getting it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, here another victim of these problems.

I have the exact same issues since a long time like HearlyFilms :

1. Slowed perfomance of timeline and video responsiveness
  2. Program window goes either Black, White, or Gray (when this happens, I know it's game over... Thank you Auto-Save)
  3. Clicking, Moving Mouse, Typing, ANYTHING from there gives me a completely glitching out display for around 1 minute
  4. Whole screen goes black, seconds later...
  5. Log in screen

Next to this, sometimes i can work "fine" on Cuda, some glichtes in the screen but i can work. After exporting a video the whole system is unusable. It is very slow, mouse responds slow and goes everywhere on the screen. Only a reboot does cure this.

Logicboard have been replaced last month, problems have not been solved, of course. After that i resend the laptop to Apple repair, they saw in the logs that i had something to do with Cuda. TADA! And now i found this thread because i finally new what was going on. I've read all these posts and saw that this pain is going on since 2014. WHAT??

Got my Macbook back since 5th April this week, changed Cuda into OpenCL. Worked a whole day without issues. I prefer Cuda like the others, its much faster.

Kevin, what can we expect? Are they still working at the problem?

My system:

Macbook Pro Late 2013

CPU: i7 2,3 ghz

GPU: nvidia GT 750M

RAM: 16 GB

CUDA driver: 7.5.26

Connected:

- 4k external display through mini displayport/thunderbolt

- External USB 3.0 1 TB SSD

- bluetooth trackpad&keyboard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines